Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Tesla van!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Khanage

Dec 30, 2014
UK
Hi all,

I know this may sound ridiculous however I believe my idea for Tesla to make a van would be extremely beneficial and I'll explain why.

Firstly the van should be looking to replace ones that are currently in use by courier companies like Royal Mail, DHL, Parcelforce and so on so it should be of similar size and category. The van should be looking to replace the likes of the Ford Transit, Mercedes Sprinter etc...

Range/Mileage
Since the van would have a larger footprint than the Model S it means the chassis would be able to fit more batteries thus extending the range more so than the top Model S in production. If Tesla want to further increase the range they could maybe stack a second layer of batteries on top (I'm no engineer so I'm not sure if this is even possible or safe). They could also utilize the space in the 'frunk' for additional batteries if they wanted.

Storage Space
The space inside the van may be similar or even more so depending on how Tesla would design it. Add to that the frunk's space it would most certainly out do rivals in overall storage space.

Price - Elec vs Petrol
Courier companies tend to have vans that run in the 100's to the 1000's across the nation, if you do simple math you can imagine how much money they would save each year using a Tesla van instead of traditional fuel, the savings alone would make them overlook the initial investment in charging stations and other initial expenses.

ECO Friendly
With so many companies in this day and age doing everything they can to better their public image by being as ECO friendly as they possibly can, what better way of doing this than using Tesla vans. If a large courier service decides to use Tesla vans can you imagine what sort of pressure that would put on it's competitors. They would most likely follow suit and Tesla van sales would sky rocket and only keep getting better and better as other companies and services in other countries start doing the same.

Cost of a Van
Since it's a van and it'll be used more for it's practicality and ECO credentials it's safe to say Tesla doesn't need to go all out in the tech department side of things like it does for it's other models. They should keep it as simple and minimalistic as possible to keep the prices down to compete with other manufacturers.

I'm sure I've missed some more points and could have gone in to more detail as well but I'll leave it at that for now. I really think this could be an absolutely huge market for Tesla and they can take it by storm if done right.

Thoughts?

Elon Musk has stated an intention to build a pick-up after Model 3. I'm sure they'd look at cargo vans as well for the global market.

The key missing ingredient is to lower costs (which is what Model 3 is all about). Businesses will spend a bit for PR, but generally they just take a cold, hard look at the numbers and pick what's expected to be the cheapest option.

Elon Musk has stated an intention to build a pick-up after Model 3. I'm sure they'd look at cargo vans as well for the global market.

The key missing ingredient is to lower costs (which is what Model 3 is all about). Businesses will spend a bit for PR, but generally they just take a cold, hard look at the numbers and pick what's expected to be the cheapest option.

You're right however I believe the much larger companies that operate 100's or even 1000's of vans would be willing to pay the higher upfront cost for the van for the mid to long term benefits in cheaper running costs. You have not factor it the vans won't have road tax, they have less parts and therefore are less likely to go wrong in some way. All of this would be extremely attractive to a forward thinking company which wants to cut down costs and do their bit for the environment at the same time.

- - - Updated - - -

It's a valid idea. Fedex already has a small electric fleet they've been trying out with a Nissan Van.
Nissan e-NV200 Electric Vans Join FedEx Trial Fleet

I think your points on the economics of it make sense too. I think Tesla could offer much more than the Nissan version.

I'm sure in some way Tesla would not only make the best electric powered van but somehow find a way to improve upon the traditional van model.

In the long term it's not a bad idea, but I think Tesla is much more focussed on making the Model X and Model 3 work right now.

I suspect Tesla will be watching demographics on the Model X buyers very closely to see how much the light delivery market uptake is. As another poster pointed out in another thread recently, the Model X has a remarkably broad potential market, from taxi/limo services to small deliveries and everything in between (including the random soccer mom.) The price tag will be a hangup for some of these markets, at least initially.
Walter

They have talked about doing it... someday...

tesla-roadshow-slide-19.jpg

Hi all,

I know this may sound ridiculous however I believe my idea for Tesla to make a van would be extremely beneficial and I'll explain why.

Firstly the van should be looking to replace ones that are currently in use by courier companies like Royal Mail, DHL, Parcelforce and so on so it should be of similar size and category. The van should be looking to replace the likes of the Ford Transit, Mercedes Sprinter etc...

Range/Mileage
Since the van would have a larger footprint than the Model S it means the chassis would be able to fit more batteries thus extending the range more so than the top Model S in production. If Tesla want to further increase the range they could maybe stack a second layer of batteries on top (I'm no engineer so I'm not sure if this is even possible or safe). They could also utilize the space in the 'frunk' for additional batteries if they wanted.

Storage Space
The space inside the van may be similar or even more so depending on how Tesla would design it. Add to that the frunk's space it would most certainly out do rivals in overall storage space.

Price - Elec vs Petrol
Courier companies tend to have vans that run in the 100's to the 1000's across the nation, if you do simple math you can imagine how much money they would save each year using a Tesla van instead of traditional fuel, the savings alone would make them overlook the initial investment in charging stations and other initial expenses.

ECO Friendly
With so many companies in this day and age doing everything they can to better their public image by being as ECO friendly as they possibly can, what better way of doing this than using Tesla vans. If a large courier service decides to use Tesla vans can you imagine what sort of pressure that would put on it's competitors. They would most likely follow suit and Tesla van sales would sky rocket and only keep getting better and better as other companies and services in other countries start doing the same.

Cost of a Van
Since it's a van and it'll be used more for it's practicality and ECO credentials it's safe to say Tesla doesn't need to go all out in the tech department side of things like it does for it's other models. They should keep it as simple and minimalistic as possible to keep the prices down to compete with other manufacturers.

I'm sure I've missed some more points and could have gone in to more detail as well but I'll leave it at that for now. I really think this could be an absolutely huge market for Tesla and they can take it by storm if done right.

Thoughts?
FSD combined with insurance at a discount for purchases over 100 would be a selling point. where i live is about 1.5 hour drive from the nearest city, coeur d' alene, idaho. that is also the nearest Tesla charging station, except for my own, emergency charging station. with weekly deliveries it might be possible? that is about what i get now from UPS and Fedex. I've thought about talking with them when I can buy a Tesla van to drive to a drop off spot to deliver packages instead of them driving for 2+ hours here round trip with ICE vehicles. If the trip was combined with trips to the nearest Walmart, then all deliveries could be done cheaply.