Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, it would appear that Elon may no longer consider them to be "Flagship" products? Or perhaps he has been told: EU sales may well be dismal in areas with a high number of roundabouts (i.e. the EU and UK) as the stalkless design with variable, constantly moving turn signals (as we now have with the Highland update--this will be interesting to watch . . . ) would be seen as the remarkable threat to safe driving that it is. The Europeans take driving seriously, and the redesign fails in this area, despite the many improvements otherwise achieved.

In this short Highland ride-along video we see Bjorn laugh out loud at the absurdity, and comment on how the test driver must have driven this route many times (on the second roundabout):

Elon's "my way or the highway" thinking if often brilliant, but when he is wrong it is concerning as it appears no one at Tesla is willing to tell the emperor he has no clothes for risk of being fired on the spot. This level of hubris has me wary of the increased, and self-induced, risk to our large TSLA investment.

It should concern all of us and is quite frustrating that this is occurring, yet many fanbois here persist in ignoring these warning signs . . . .
Honest question, is there any evidence that Musk pushed for the removal of the stalks against advice of the design/engineering team?

Many may be unaware how the "deci" in Decimating originally referenced only a 10% reduction/tax/advantage, etc. 🤓

"Devastating," "Obliterating" or "Annihilating" may be better suited for the concept being conveyed here. :)

I"m very aware. *Twitch*.

The original sense was in the Roman Republic and other places, killing 1/10 of a group of soldiers by dividing them into groups of 10, then drawing lots, with the unlucky person beaten to death by the other 9, who were then given some further, though less extreme, punishment.

Despite there being some randomness to it, the modern meaning loses both the sense of scale and the very calculated nature.

Honest question, is there any evidence that Musk pushed for the removal of the stalks against advice of the design/engineering team?

I think there are several regularly posting here in an attempt to blame Elon specifically without supporting evidence
whom may have spent significant time in their youth playing this game from Initech. (re: Office Space)

iu

The fact that Lose is misspelled on the mat makes me a little crazy.

Yes, it would appear that Elon may no longer consider them to be "Flagship" products? Or perhaps he has been told: EU sales may well be dismal in areas with a high number of roundabouts (i.e. the EU and UK) as the stalkless design with variable, constantly moving turn signals (as we now have with the Highland update--this will be interesting to watch . . . ) would be seen as the remarkable threat to safe driving that it is. The Europeans take driving seriously, and the redesign fails in this area, despite the many improvements otherwise achieved.

In this short Highland ride-along video we see Bjorn laugh out loud at the absurdity, and comment on how the test driver must have driven this route many times (on the second roundabout):

Elon's "my way or the highway" thinking if often brilliant, but when he is wrong it is concerning as it appears no one at Tesla is willing to tell the emperor he has no clothes for risk of being fired on the spot. This level of hubris has me wary of the increased, and self-induced, risk to our large TSLA investment.

It should concern all of us and is quite frustrating that this is occurring, yet many fanbois here persist in ignoring these warning signs . . . .
I adjust the music volume while my wheel is inverted all the time. But I understand the frustration of losing our buttons and knobs. However, this is FSD coming our way in baby steps. Bring it on and be glad there's still a button to press?

Interesting how the poster turned his camera to the glass reflection of his car to see how smoothly it was going over the speed bumps. Bandit had a similar idea for a commercial last week. This is Bandit seeing himself riding in a Tesla for the first time. Big smile on his face too!

Can YOU see yourself in a Tesla? (Ad proposal, not that it's needed...)

1696959516606.png

I've never seen numbers, but I'd be interested in seeing a comparison of auto manufacturers that shows manhours per vehicle once in production.
There are numbers for quite a few factories, some publicly published others end out published, often in Automotive News (there usually in country specific/factory specific references.
Some present alleged numbers:
VW Zwickau 30 hrs
Nissan Sunderland 2010: 37 hours
Tesla Berlin: 10 hours
The Nissan Sunderland factory was regarded as by far the most efficient back in 2010, but of course it would not approach that now.
In any event these are not, and probably could not be, truly comparable.
First, Tesla's gigafactories are highly vertically integrated and produce most fo the parts needed in the factory from raw materials. All the rest are more akin to assembly operations with actual manufacturing of part of the vehicle. As a result for every OEM the comparison can be factory v factory with overall comparisons not very accurate overall.
Second, every specific factory v factory can be highly misleading also because fo the propensity to colocate suppliers, frequently in the same buildings. An example form Tesla is the Panasonic Sparks cell production which happens in Tesla built and designed lines, and in a JV. Such arrangements are common, but often simply have the facilities in nearly adjacent facilities.
Third, Such calculations are fraught anyway because the 'manhour' metric is defined differently by different companies without any intention to mislead anyone:
-are line supervisors counted?
-are quality control people counted?
-is the 'hours' counting work time or paid time?
-is the count a 'spot' measure, a daily one, weekly one or something else?
Fourth, among internal cost accounting processes there are an infinite variety of permutations used for different purposes.
The result of those four factors makes the actual state of competitive advantage in manufacturing subject to endless debate.
Having had some exposure to those debates with several manufacturers cost accounting teams, including one of those listed about, I am not at all surprised nor dismayed by that situation since the exact choices honestly depend on the purpose of the data.

For the three mentioned above we can be assured that the Diess message was a wake-up call to VAG, and he lost his job essentiallyfor that message.
For Tesla we in this forum know Tesla is more efficient than is any other OEM, on almost all, if not all, metrics.
For the Nissan case there was explicit corporate intent to laud the Sunderland facility, in part to obtain concessions in EU (then) and UK policies. They also needed to show that their continuing heavy investment there was paying off and a not-so-gentle prod for better performance by Nissan plants in Japan the US and even elsewhere.

Perhaps the ultimate metric with which to measure overall efficiency is the 'cash conversion cycle'. That one is very hard to manipulate, but does not explicitly measure any given contributing metric. All the others are useful, but require some serious inside knowledge to equate one with another. Even so, other things being equal, fewer are better than more.

The more SCs Tesla has, the less incentive there is for competing charging networks to expand.

I agree with this and I expect Tesla will put Electrify America and EVGo out of business, along with any other North American company that is hoping to make a go of it in DC charging. Tesla will have to be careful to avoid anti-trust violations.

Why do people say nonsense like this? Just being successful is not an illegal monopoly or anti-trust violation, even if it puts all the competitors out of business.
Perhaps better ways of saying it are antitrust allegations or accusations. I believe that's probably what @Usain meant. As we all know Tesla gets accused of a lot of things that aren't true. Otherwise OPW would have ceased to exist long ago.

I didn't say it would necessarily be an illegal monopoly. I said they would have to be careful to avoid anti-trust violations.
So, what do you think they would do in the normal course of business that would be a violation? I don't think they need to be careful at all; if they are running the business in a reasonable manner then they are fine.

If they need to be careful to avoid rigging bids, participating in price-fixing, providing bribes/kickbacks, committing fraud, etc. then there are bigger problems to worry about.

How the Chinese EV car companies have turned the tables and are decimating the legacy automakers, VW an example, in the China market. Tesla is mentioned. Many of the reasons mentioned as too why Tesla implements.

Informative. A couple of items I'm not sure about though... saying BYD was the 2021 top seller of EVs in China: this includes PHEVs (BYD sold ~321K BEVs; Tesla sold ~473k?). Also, the image of an article noting a 1.1M-vehicle "recall" about acceleration/braking risks; I'm assuming it was just a software update, if that.

So, what do you think they would do in the normal course of business that would be a violation? I don't think they need to be careful at all; if they are running the business in a reasonable manner then they are fine.

If they need to be careful to avoid rigging bids, participating in price-fixing, providing bribes/kickbacks, committing fraud, etc. then there are bigger problems to worry about.
Most unfortunately, I believe the past years have shown us the answer to that is "Piss off any one of any number of government regulators."

So, what do you think they would do in the normal course of business that would be a violation? I don't think they need to be careful at all, if they are running the business in a reasonable manner then they are fine.

When you dominate an industry it becomes very tempting to use that dominance to crush your competition in an adjacent industry. That's where companies sometimes get into trouble.

For example, if Tesla did something to make it hard for others to manufacture a NACS connector they could get hit with an anti-trust suit. That's part of why Tesla is being so open with their design.

I've talked a lot about how Tesla's fast charging dominance could lead to L2 dominance as well. But there would be plenty of anit-trust landmines to navigate.