Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From what I read, updated Model 3 is beautifull, removing Gear stoke and signal stoke may be hard to accept by some buyers. Those who wants to upgrade from current Model 3, it make sense to wait until new version comes out, Those who buying their First Tesla, no need to wait for Refresh Model, current Model 3 is rock solid vehicle, I have Model 3 with over 100K miles, still feels brand new.

Plenty of L4 competitors but I can't find any credible L5 competitor. The ones who claims they are working on L5 still have yet to activate them so it's impossible to judge how well they work ...everywhere. Tesla is the only one with almost half a million cars running all over the US providing real feedback on their L5's shortcomings while mobile eye is showing video of pretty much Omar's equivalent location specific drive in their promo video and claims they have similar L5 system.
By more, I just meant more vehicles, not more companies. AVs would be likely to eliminate a lot of current high-risk users like drunks, unlicensed and uninsured drivers, and parallel improvements to ADAS would be likely to help human drivers as well.

A long, long time ago, when I was still a teenager, my father took me aside and explained about Car Loans. (Note: This was all very much pre-computer and PC).

Case #1: One does not have money in the bank to buy a car outright, so one takes out a loan. He very carefully calculated out how much one would have to pay for that loan, complete with the car loan interest rate. At the end of that time, plus maybe a few years, one still doesn't have that much money in the bank, so one has to take out another car loan. For those not truly well-off, one gets stuck in this rat race.

Case #2: Hold off buying the car, but deposit a certain amount of money every month into an interest-bearing account. (This was back when, well, banks actually paid reasonable interest on deposits. Today, one would use a bond fund or something for the purpose.) Since one is aiming at buying a car down the road, the amount being saved becomes larger over time due to compounding interest, so the amount put away every month is substantially less than what one would have to pay for with a loan.

When enough money is accumulated, go out and buy the car. With cash. Drives the dealerships beserk; they like those loan origination fees. And the chance to diddle the loan interest rates. And, if played right, gives one a leg up on the dealer's usual machinations of trying to extract the most from a buyer.

Once one has the car: Keep on putting money aside for the next car. At the end of each cycle of this method, one has a heck of a lot more money.

I have never taken out an auto loan in, what, five decades of owning cars.

The above is, I'm sure, no surprise to anybody who hangs out on an investment forum. But it's amazing how few consumers realize how bad the rat race of buying stuff on time is.
I had a polite disagreement a long time ago with my FIL about paying cash for a car, he said he didn't want to pay interest instead of taking the 1.9% the dealer was offering. He proceeded to pull $30k from investments that were reliably yielding 8-10% at the time plus he got hit with a little higher rate on the distribution because it pushed him up in taxes IIRC.

You may not pay any interest when you pay cash but you do pay for lost opportunity, which can be a lot more than the interest. Of course you do remove the possibility that the opportunity you're missing out on is the opportunity to lose money.

Unnecessary... unproductive and I would say a move that will hurt more than benefit.
Why? Tesla has to go where the attention and the people as seen by the huge Munich auto show in Germany. Tesla showing up in Munich with the new M3 has resulted in countless social meda views and free pub that it would not have received other wise it did not attend. Its not 5 years ago, when word of mouth was good enough.

For us car geeks, Detroit is one of the major shows we look forward too for new debuts and media of all types will be there. Why would Tesla not want any part of that?

IDK about a bunch of stupid ads that just annoy everyone but some nicely chosen sponsorships could be interesting. One example that comes to mind is the Tour of Utah, which used to be sponsored by a big Toyota dealer. That got killed off by covid and never made a comeback. Something about cycle races with EV chase cars instead of athletes sucking exhaust fumes seems appealing. If nothing else you could point to some societal benefit and I'll bet it wouldn't be that expensive.

I had a polite disagreement a long time ago with my FIL about paying cash for a car, he said he didn't want to pay interest instead of taking the 1.9% the dealer was offering. He proceeded to pull $30k from investments that were reliably yielding 8-10% at the time plus he got hit with a little higher rate on the distribution because it pushed him up in taxes IIRC.

You may not pay any interest when you pay cash but you do pay for lost opportunity, which can be a lot more than the interest. Of course you do remove the possibility that the opportunity you're missing out on is the opportunity to lose money.
It really depends upon how sure you are of having a steady income stream. If you do, then yes, it can be a missed opportunity. If you don't you may find you have to sell something at an inopportune time.

For the first time in 8 years, Tesla will be at the Detroit auto show...

Though I doubt the Highland M3 will be there, it will be interesting to see how Tesla plays this, after the big splash Highland M3 has made in Munich. Many of the auto media that saw the Highland M3 in Munich will be in Detroit too.

The Higland M3 was one of the biggest debuts at Munich.

Though I doubt the Highland M3 will be there, it will be interesting to see how Tesla plays this, after the big splash Highland M3 has made in Munich. Many of the auto media that saw the Highland M3 in Munich will be in Detroit too.

The Higland M3 was one of the biggest debuts at Munich.
Sounds as if it's an ideal time to debut the production version of the Cybertruck. Perhaps they can have a couple of deliveries at the show as well.

A long, long time ago, when I was still a teenager, my father took me aside and explained about Car Loans. (Note: This was all very much pre-computer and PC).

Case #1: One does not have money in the bank to buy a car outright, so one takes out a loan. He very carefully calculated out how much one would have to pay for that loan, complete with the car loan interest rate. At the end of that time, plus maybe a few years, one still doesn't have that much money in the bank, so one has to take out another car loan. For those not truly well-off, one gets stuck in this rat race.

Case #2: Hold off buying the car, but deposit a certain amount of money every month into an interest-bearing account. (This was back when, well, banks actually paid reasonable interest on deposits. Today, one would use a bond fund or something for the purpose.) Since one is aiming at buying a car down the road, the amount being saved becomes larger over time due to compounding interest, so the amount put away every month is substantially less than what one would have to pay for with a loan.

When enough money is accumulated, go out and buy the car. With cash. Drives the dealerships beserk; they like those loan origination fees. And the chance to diddle the loan interest rates. And, if played right, gives one a leg up on the dealer's usual machinations of trying to extract the most from a buyer.

Once one has the car: Keep on putting money aside for the next car. At the end of each cycle of this method, one has a heck of a lot more money.

I have never taken out an auto loan in, what, five decades of owning cars.

The above is, I'm sure, no surprise to anybody who hangs out on an investment forum. But it's amazing how few consumers realize how bad the rat race of buying stuff on time is.
Good post. I'll make a point of sharing this math with my teen+ children. Of course, Timing can impact this advice. For our recently acquired TMY, I only put down a cash deposit equivalent to the $7,500 federal rebate (which I'll get returned to me in 2024). Financed the rest at 2.99%. If I has paid cash instead, it would have come out of the account that is currently earning 4.25% or sale of some TSLA. Seems like timing can make or break this sage advice...

By its comparative analysis of the following, Yahoo Finance suggests TSLA is undervalued and its fair market value should be $455.84 according to it's "GF Value":
  1. Financial strength
  2. Profitability & growth
  3. ROIC vs WACC

View attachment 971457

Call me sceptical, but prognosticators sometimes sound hollow. It's like someone saying "this team should have won the World Cup / Super Bowl / World Series", but they didn't, so what's your point? We're agreed that the stock market is maybe half logical but no more, so there's no point in arguing why investors haven't invested. They just haven't, point finale.

Okay okay, despite it all, I still believe in TSLA's growth and am in for the long haul! HODL.
I see it another way. Sometimes WS has us below the green line (about 4 times, historically). Sometimes we pop above the red (twice in history). It's going to be a lot of fun during the next period we're allowed to pop above the red line!

IDK about a bunch of stupid ads that just annoy everyone but some nicely chosen sponsorships could be interesting. One example that comes to mind is the Tour of Utah, which used to be sponsored by a big Toyota dealer. That got killed off by covid and never made a comeback. Something about cycle races with EV chase cars instead of athletes sucking exhaust fumes seems appealing. If nothing else you could point to some societal benefit and I'll bet it wouldn't be that expensive.
Nothing like a good cause. Keep in mind, Tesla sponsors disaster relief already. They offer Free charging, extended range unlocked, and cars float through the floods.

Why? Tesla has to go where the attention and the people as seen by the huge Munich auto show in Germany. Tesla showing up in Munich with the new M3 has resulted in countless social meda views and free pub that it would not have received other wise it did not attend. Its not 5 years ago, when word of mouth was good enough.

For us car geeks, Detroit is one of the major shows we look forward too for new debuts and media of all types will be there. Why would Tesla not want any part of that?
Just imagine a locked up and fenced off Cybertruck next to the Lightning both... ^^

Ya sure... it will potentially drain tens of thousands from your bank account.

Sensitive indeed, especially that red color.

1694018603934.png