Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These S/X price cuts have people justifiably angry. People who purchased an S at 110k last year have lost more than half their value. I understand it's to sell more cars, but IMO it's a bad look for the company that cars are tanking in value so quickly and drastically. It's going to lock a ton of people into keeping their cars for longer.

These S/X price cuts have people justifiably angry. People who purchased an S at 110k last year have lost more than half their value. I understand it's to sell more cars, but IMO it's a bad look for the company that cars are tanking in value so quickly and drastically. It's going to lock a ton of people into keeping their cars for longer.

Justifiably angry that parts shortages raised the price on everything in the world? Angry that some of those prices increases were not permanent? In hindsight, their purchase timing was certainly poor, but they should assign the blame where it's warranted.

So, cutting S/X prices back to were they were pre-Covid... alrighty then. :p

P.S. The PURPOSE of the price increases was to sort orders by demand (with those willing to pay getting their cars first), since Tesla can not easily (nor quickly) change supply. You know? the FREE market?

Justifiably angry that parts shortages raised the price on everything in the world? Angry that some of those prices increases were not permanent? In hindsight, their purchase timing was certainly poor, but they should assign the blame where it's warranted.
Regardless of the justifications, to sell more cars, because the parts shortage, etc...no other manufacturer is cutting the MSRP of a car 40K after a year. That creates distrust from a buyers perspective. I'm not upset personally, but I think the anger is warranted and appears pretty wide spread. It also contributes to FUD from active Tesla haters. "So funny their car values are dropping like flies, POS"...These aren't manufactured complaints...the world doesn't operate in a vacuum where people are assessing the values who artificially raised and then sink like a rock. People own these vehicles and their value from normal depreciation and Tesla's price reduction are plummeting. The "cars aren't meant to be investments" doesn't play to these people when you compare every other manufacturer in the world and how they handled a similar situation.

Brand loyalty and trust takes a hit with things like this. Again, it's not negatively impacting me, but I understand their qualms. They are rational.

last year was a price bubble ... if you buy anything in a bubble and keep it after bubble bursts you will endure some pain ... in this case a lot of pain ... prices reflected reality at the time ... not sure how you would blame Tesla for that ... you would have overpaid for just about any vehicle last year.. also if you sold a used vehicle you probably got significantly more than it was worth .... so there is that

these angry people need to get over it 🥱 i love people wining on the internet

They and a million other people who overspent on cars back in 2022 when car prices were soaring. Blame Tesla for inflation.

Regardless of the justifications, to sell more cars, because the parts shortage, etc...no other manufacturer is cutting the MSRP of a car 40K after a year.
That's because other manufacturers have to use dealerships to manipulate their pricing with "market adjustments" and can't do it directly like Tesla does.

1693577938184.png

So, cutting S/X prices back to were they were pre-Covid... alrighty then. :p

P.S. The PURPOSE of the price increases was to sort orders by demand (with those willing to pay getting their cars first), since Tesla can not easily (nor quickly) change supply. You know? the FREE market?
Below pre-covid prices.

That's because other manufacturers have to use dealerships to manipulate their pricing with "market adjustments" and can't do it directly like Tesla does.

View attachment 970094
That's a poor argument. That was select dealers and it wasn't a change in MSRP. There were a ton of Ford (or all) dealerships that didn't ever do that, it was individual one offs who decided it, and gained a ton of bad publicity, not the company.

The Ford dealerships around me actually published others doing it to sell more cars, "We don't add any market adjustment".

Regardless of the justifications, to sell more cars, because the parts shortage, etc...no other manufacturer is cutting the MSRP of a car 40K after a year. That creates distrust from a buyers perspective. <snip>

Brand loyalty and trust takes a hit with things like this. Again, it's not negatively impacting me, but I understand their qualms. They are rational.

Please, point out the disloyal customers, lacking brand loyalty, among car crash survivors. Do they wish that they had waited just 8 more months to buy the world's safest car?

Tesla Plunges Over Cliff at Devils Slide, 4 Rescued | NBC News (Jan 03, 2023)

Seriously, I could find 100 news stories from 2023 alone where people (and the Police) said that Tesla saved their lives, and they'd be dead if they were in any other brand of car.

Tesla’s #1 one priority...That should be yours as well | BestInTESLA (Oct 07, 2022)

But just think of how much MONEY they could have left to their survivors...

/S

They and a million other people who overspent on cars back in 2022 when car prices were soaring. Blame Tesla for inflation.
That inflation drove record profits through 2022 and the stock surge up to the high $300s->$400 and is of course part of why we're now here saddled with higher interest rates. All assets exploded during the pandemic craziness.

Disinflation here is margin compression for corporations, and I'd posit it's not over. Prices need to stay down, wages need to go up, companies need to make less money, and rates will remain high until all that happens and likely until unemployment ticks meaningfully upward.

Now we can speculate whether rates continue upward, whether rate cuts will come next year, and what the pricing strategy will be as this continues unfolding.

It's a big adjustment for the short term but if you zoom out it's not a price we haven't seen before.

10/13/20$71,990
10/14/20$69,420
01/26/21$69,420
01/27/21$79,990

08/31/23$74,990

1693578344286.png

Please, point out the disloyal customers, lacking brand loyalty, among car crash survivors. Do they wish that they had waited just 8 more months to buy the world's safest car?

Tesla Plunges Over Cliff at Devils Slide, 4 Rescued | NBC News (Jan 03, 2023)

Seriously, I could find 100 news stories from 2023 alone where people (and the Police) said that Tesla saved their lives, and they'd be dead if they were in any other brand of car.

Tesla’s #1 one priority...That should be yours as well | BestInTESLA (Oct 07, 2022)

But just think of how much MONEY they could have left to their survivors...

/S
The amount of articles and social media posts on the "tanking S/X values" is why I brought this up, from an investor perspective. It's completely taken over any Highland news. I'm not just complaining to complain, but I do appreciate your humor.