Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Absolutely massive price cuts to Model S/X. Reach under the $80k tax credit threshold is great for Model X, but will now also put downward pressure on Model Y prices.

As I astutely observed, used car prices rapidly falling in July and August predicted Tesla would have to make these kind of moves.

The FSD price cut should help margins a little bit, but I'm guessing most people get the monthly subscription anyways.

It seems almost certain now that Q3 will have even lower earnings than Q2. I wonder how long the market will let a company have a PE ratio as high as 73 when earnings growth is zilch.

Model S/X is 5-10% of Tesla sales. S/X-Pricing has just reverted to pre-pandemic levels. The other models are already below pre-pandemic price levels for some time. Impact of lower material prices comes in H2 23 (Zach). Margins will be ok. Certainly not in freefall.

Model S/X is 5-10% of Tesla sales. S/X-Pricing has just reverted to pre-pandemic levels. The other models are already below pre-pandemic price levels for some time. Impact of lower material prices comes in H2 23 (Zach). Margins will be ok. Certainly not in freefall.

Yup, not in free fall. Just no earnings growth, which the stock value is depedent on.

Reactions: replicant
There is not a material that is cheaper today than it was pre-pandemic lol. Cheaper than the peak when the S and X prices peaked 2022 yes, but S/X prices are back at pre-pandemic levels and every commodity is way up from pre-pandemic prices.

But people shouldn't be surprised here when Elon is fully willing to move vehicles for minimal or zero margin. This is how big car makers operate, they all sell cars at cost but make money over the longer-term by servicing the existing fleet.

Teslas however are very low maintenance, FSD/autonomy need to be the drivers.

Last edited:
I think all these moves are on target.
Absolutely massive price cuts to Model S/X. Reach under the $80k tax credit threshold is great for Model X, but will now also put downward pressure on Model Y prices.

As I astutely observed, used car prices rapidly falling in July and August predicted Tesla would have to make these kind of moves.

The FSD price cut should help margins a little bit, but I'm guessing most people get the monthly subscription anyways.

It seems almost certain now that Q3 will have even lower earnings than Q2. I wonder how long the market will let a company have a PE ratio as high as 73 when earnings growth is zilch.
You have astutely noted the price cuts in the S and X, the lowest volume movers for Tesla, but seem to have missed the price increase for the redesigned Model 3.

The fact that the media are still pimping this made-up-nonsense about a glass house, but not reporting a big update on one of the most popular EVs on earth tells you everything you need to know about the media, and wall st. They are DESPERATE to keep in the good books of the corrupt muppets who run the legacy ICE companies and oil companies. Don't expect ANY impartial reporting by these clowns.
Eventually the truth will become overwhelming. The model 3 was already an extremely competitive car, being made in true mass production numbers. It just got better, and likely easier/quicker/cheaper to build.
Its hard to believe the BS on the internet about Tesla when you find out that half a dozen people on your street now drive one.

Wall st will do its usual nonsense today, and maybe Monday, but they cant hide from the facts forever. This is a BAD day for GM, VW, Ford and Toyota.

The fact that the media are still pimping this made-up-nonsense about a glass house, but not reporting a big update on one of the most popular EVs on earth tells you everything you need to know about the media, and wall st. They are DESPERATE to keep in the good books of the corrupt muppets who run the legacy ICE companies and oil companies. Don't expect ANY impartial reporting by these clowns.
Eventually the truth will become overwhelming. The model 3 was already an extremely competitive car, being made in true mass production numbers. It just got better, and likely easier/quicker/cheaper to build.
Its hard to believe the BS on the internet about Tesla when you find out that half a dozen people on your street now drive one.

Wall st will do its usual nonsense today, and maybe Monday, but they cant hide from the facts forever. This is a BAD day for GM, VW, Ford and Toyota.
I predict entire U.S. market will be 100% flat from close today on Monday....

Price cuts to 2019 prices on models that do about 10k combined a quarter and that now make some trims eligible for the federal and some state credits should hopefully grow volumes. Which doesnt really matter when you are talking 100s of thousands of 3/Y over the same time frame.
20K per quarter, but still these models have higher margins then the 3 and Y and should see considerable boost in sales. Particularly the X with the Tax Credit. I could see Q4 seeing the sales double so of course lower margin, but overall higher profit. That is if Fremont can boost production.

There was a rumor that the S/X are getting an update too, not to the extent of Highland. These vehicles are old and the platform they ride on is old. These vehicles will not be moving to cost lowering GIga Casting until there replacements, or if arrives. Next gen platform Open box manufacturing may be the best thing for these niche vehicles and Roadster.

There was a rumor that the S/X are getting an update too, not to the extent of Highland. These vehicles are old and the platform they ride on is old. These vehicles will not be moving to cost lowering GIga Casting until there replacements, or if arrives. Next gen platform Open box manufacturing may be the best thing for these niche vehicles and Roadster.
They had a major refresh in 2021. From everything I've read a minor refresh is coming with ambient lighting, but nothing major.

Model S/X have had a complete redesign os last refresh

Complete, it just looks similar, I think Elon Xssed(?) that only the seat rails were kept, so no, the platform isn't old, on the contrary

Model S/X have had a complete redesign os last refresh

Complete, it just looks similar, I think Elon Xssed(?) that only the seat rails were kept, so no, the platform isn't old, on the contrary
Agreed. New battery chemistry, motors, body, interior...basically everything was refreshed outside of seat rails, lol.