Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see lots of posts in my feed like this one:

Even saw someone saying that Tesla is screwed because Toyota is doing Hydrogen in the engines.

I am not even upset about these people. The nice thing with the market is that these people can believe what they do, but time will tell who is right and if you have skin in the game you will be rewarded/punished based on the outcome. Let them believe that EV will not totally dominate if they want, it's easy to do when EVs are 0-20% of the market. Harder when they are 80-100% of the market in the next decade which I am convinced they will be. And if I am wrong, then I deserve what is coming my way...

Lots of ignorance clouded by emotion in that video, wow.

Just because someone feels EV's won't replace ICE does not make it so. The data and facts are clear, this is happening whether four guys on a podcast want it to happen or not.

Yeah, I know; I recorded it. I just wish I had captured the whole screen but at the time I was just trying to get the video footage to show to the trauma doc. (Everyone was pretty impressed that I was able to quickly locate the dash cam footage)

But I’m curious why it didn’t indicate that the vehicle had activated the pedestrian detection and applied the brakes.

Would be cool if there was some visual representation of this; I only know because the driver said multiple times that she “never saw the kid”…which would be a weird claim, considering you’d have just spared a childs’ life.
How did you get involved? Or are you an actual Fire Medic? Duh!

I needed this today. Tough week for my investments, but it’s always nice to have a little bit of a reminder of how critical the mission is.

The driver of this car said she never saw the kid, and the car braked on its own… I’m pretty sure the kids gonna be fine with just a few scratches on the elbows, but would almost certainly be facing a different outcome if there had been a different car in that spot. Note the car is almost at a complete stop at impact; and more importantly; did not run the kid over after impact.

The driver and mother gave me permission to share the video.

Does anyone know why there’s no audible warning? Or does the TeslaCam not capture audio (I’m embarrassed to not know)? I believe all the audio you hear is from the traffic passing in the background while filming.

I hate to write this... But watching the vid I do not understand how she didn't see the girl... Maybe not in time to come to a complete stop, but she should have been able to at least slam on the breaks. I think she was watching something else than the road...

And why drive that fast in so close proximity to stationary cars in an urban area. There was also plenty of space to the right to position the car more in the middle between the stationary cars to the left and the stationary cars to the right. That's what I would have done. That would have given me a much better angle to see just in case of an event just like this one... That's the way I always drive in situations like that one. And I always adjust the speed so that I am able to come to a stop in case something like this would occur.

I hate to write this... But watching the vid I do not understand how she didn't see the girl... Maybe not in time to come to a complete stop, but she should have been able to at least slam on the breaks. I think she was watching something else than the road.
Have you met people?

Seriously though; this isn’t much of a walking city, and that’s an incredibly congested area that connects 2 busy highways in the center of the bay area at rush-hour. People try to minimize their following distance so they don’t lose their “place in line”.

We clearly had different reactions; because when I first saw the video (and the driver), I thought there’s no way this lady stopped in time. Keep in mind, when you watch the video you’re looking for the kid. But when that lady was driving on the road, she was not expecting a child to jump out in front of her car.
How did you get involved? Or are you an actual Fire Medic? Duh!
Yeah; paramedic firefighter for 20+ years. I’ve been to too MANY auto/peds over the years. Most don’t have this positive an outcome. Cars and people aren’t meant to interact in that way.

Have you met people?

Seriously though; this isn’t much of a walking city, and that’s an incredibly congested area that connects 2 busy highways in the center of the bay area at rush-hour. People try to minimize their following distance so they don’t lose their “place in line”.

We clearly had different reactions; because when I first saw the video (and the driver), I thought there’s no way this lady stopped in time. Keep in mind, when you watch the video you’re looking for the kid. But when that lady was driving on the road, she was not expecting a child to jump out in front of her car

No. I've of course never met another person in my entire life! What?...

I stand by what I wrote.

I hate to write this... But watching the vid I do not understand how she didn't see the girl... Maybe not in time to come to a complete stop, but she should have been able to at least slam on the breaks. I think she was watching something else than the road...

And why drive that fast in so close proximity to stationary cars in an urban area. There was also plenty of space to the right to position the car more in the middle between the stationary cars to the left and the stationary cars to the right. That's what I would have done. That would have given me a much better angle to see just in case of an event just like this one... That's the way I always drive in situations like that one. And I always adjust the speed so that I am able to come to a stop in case something like this would occur.
There are plenty of mediocre drivers on the roads. There are lots of people who brains lock up in emergency/panic situations. They won’t remember that their brain locked up, because, well, their brain locked up. And yes, that was very poor defensive driving! You have to have a hair trigger response in the back of your brain when driving in situations like this. She obviously didn’t. She didn’t need to be distracted, just an average mediocre driver.

A while ago, I was behind this lady in crowded urban traffic stopped at a red light. She was the second or third car back from the stoplight. Light turned green, she started to move with the traffic. For some unknown (to us) reason, the car in front of her stopped dead (note that we weren’t driving very fast at this point). The lady kept on accelerating right into the back of the now stopped car. I stopped, and helped her out of her car since all her airbags deployed (if she wasn’t confused before, she was definitely confused and maybe even concussed after that!). In all likelihood, she was staring dead ahead right at the car she plowed into. My point being that the accident most likely occurred simply because the car ahead of her did something unexpected and she didnt process it fast enough to react properly. Her brain just locked up.

Have you met people?

We clearly had different reactions; because when I first saw the video (and the driver), I thought there’s no way this lady stopped in time. Keep in mind, when you watch the video you’re looking for the kid. But when that lady was driving on the road, she was not expecting a child to jump out in front of her car.

Yeah; paramedic firefighter for 20+ years. I’ve been to too MANY auto/peds over the years. Most don’t have this positive an outcome. Cars and people aren’t meant to interact in that way.

Yeah, that car stopped damn fast. Regardless of reaction time, that was one heck of a g force de acceleration that the car occupants felt. Tesla emergency braking doesn’t mess around!

Ok at this point, I think we have to admit that the last X andS refresh was Not successful. It was months too long and sales haven‘t reached pre refresh highs. I for one would be ordering a new S about now ordinarily, but dirty wheels and black trim prevent this. Other people want different colors, etc. combine that with pricing at over $100,000, which is overpriced, in my opinion, and you have a problem. That’s why the true price of a long range in Florida is $82,000 now, a $9500 discount.
Fully concur.

Someone needed to reign Elon in with his juvenile "yoke" and lack of shift lever/turn signal stalks ideas. A car in 2023 is NOT a video game, yet Elon persists in creating an environment where his authority is questioned only if you wish to be fired . . . so we end up with a potentially great car that was handicapped by boy-racer silliness. (We should know: we've purchased five Palladium MS's. The novelty quickly becomes a pain, and intermittently an actual danger, in the real world of parallel parking and roundabouts and errant drivers that need a short horn "toot.")

Now we see "Standard Range" versions with an identical COGS? Really Elon? How about just adding a proper horn button (where it belongs, in the center of the steering wheel!), turn signals, and a shift lever? Driving these cars often feels like it's a "New Coke" moment, but Tesla can't go back to a better idea because it's a firing offense to counter Elon perhaps?

Instead, they just reduce the price (again), this time by $10k and handicap the car with software while installing the same, massive, and expensive battery pack . . . .

We remain heavily invested in TSLA but are growing concerned with the increasing number of self-induced problems and easily foreseen missteps, seemingly all directed by Elon, all of which are very concerning. The upcoming biography may help shed some light on both the utter brilliance, and remarkable hubris and folly, of Tesla's leader.

The total time from first view of the adult's head to impact was 2 seconds (the first 0.5 of which, the child was with the adult). And that's from the viewpoint of a camera that could see them before the driver could (higher and offset to the right). 35MPH (posted speed limit), is 51 feet per second. With 1G of instant deceleration, it would take 1.6 seconds and a distance of 41 feet to stop.
The car was hugging the fog line and shifted right to try and avoid the kid.
SmartSelect_20230818_094735_Firefox.jpg
SmartSelect_20230818_094722_Firefox.jpg

Fully concur.

Someone needed to reign Elon in with his juvenile "yoke" and lack of shift lever/turn signal stalks ideas. A car in 2023 is NOT a video game, yet Elon persists in creating an environment where his authority is questioned only if you wish to be fired . . . so we end up with a potentially great car that was handicapped by boy-racer silliness. (We should know: we've purchased five Palladium MS's. The novelty quickly becomes a pain, and intermittently an actual danger, in the real world of parallel parking and roundabouts and errant drivers that need a short horn "toot.")

Now we see "Standard Range" versions with an identical COGS? Really Elon? How about just adding a proper horn button (where it belongs, in the center of the steering wheel!), turn signals, and a shift lever? Driving these cars often feels like it's a "New Coke" moment, but Tesla can't go back to a better idea because it's a firing offense to counter Elon perhaps?

Instead, they just reduce the price (again), this time by $10k and handicap the car with software while installing the same, massive, and expensive battery pack . . . .

We remain heavily invested in TSLA but are growing concerned with the increasing number of self-induced problems and easily foreseen missteps, seemingly all directed by Elon, all of which are very concerning. The upcoming biography may help shed some light on both the utter brilliance, and remarkable hubris and folly, of Tesla's leader.
Sigh. It has always been like this at Tesla since, oh, 2008 or so. Would you rather have a car company that has an otherwise great series of features, but lousy tech since the tech package is on a 5 year refresh cycle, and won’t be ready until next year? A lot of current cars being sold fall into that camp, just for one example.

Look, Tesla isn’t perfect!!! It has never been, and never will be. It is just less imperfect than all other car companies. If that isn’t good enough for you, look elsewhere.

And FWIW, I immediately put in an order for a new Model X on the day of the announcement solely because of that steering wheel. Sure there are plenty of stick in the muds like you that didn’t like it, in fact you are probably a majority (since Tesla has now reversed their standard/optional steering wheel, they, oh my gosh, learned!), but Tesla does amazing things because of that mentality.

The Cybertruck is a good example of the positives of that mentality. Only a company that would gamble on a yoke would also gamble on the Cybertruck, which all indications are, will be a hit.

Dojo requires chips. And chips requires more energy. Can we actually replace fossil fuels with renewables worldwide or are we just adding renewables on top of fossil fuels?

Remember Tesla's mission, "to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy"? We haven't started fixing the problem, far from it: https://www.axios.com/2018/08/16/despite-renewables-growth-there-has-never-been-energy-transition. We need renewables to reduce fossil fuel usage in aggregate. Not find new ways to consume the electricity generated by new capacity (that was created to replace fossil fuels in the first place, not supplement it)

Sustainability does not have an energy supply problem.

Lately Tesla is following the market down with its usual additional volatility. Stocks are just responding to the increased potential to make money in the bond market. The supply of investment money is finite, and much is being shifted to bonds. People here don’t seem to understand that the bond market can supply gains comparable to stocks. Combine that with the effect of high rates on car sales and actually TSLA is doing fairly well.

And FWIW, I immediately put in an order for a new Model X on the day of the announcement solely because of that steering wheel. Sure there are plenty of stick in the muds like you that didn’t like it, in fact you are probably a majority (since Tesla has now reversed their standard/optional steering wheel, they, oh my gosh, learned!), but Tesla does amazing things because of that mentality.

It's one thing to call people "sticks in the muds" for not liking something that you do, but honestly I agree with TSLA Pilot on the stalks issue. I have driven a new Model S with the yoke and haptic buttons on the steering wheel (minus the stalks) and truthfully I hated it. Stalks for turn signals isn't complicated and IMHO they just work better for signals than hard to find & feel buttons on the wheel. Same with the horn, which is an emergency function, and thus should be simple to activate, not difficult, and moving the horn from a large area at the center of the wheel to a little finger button which is hard to feel on the wheel is not an "improvement". In my honest opinion.

I love most of what Tesla does innovation wise, but the removal of stalks and the placement of haptic buttons for core functions on the steering wheel spokes is not value added for me, and I have to wonder how many people test driving new Tesla's will feel the same way? Something simple like that could sway someone away from buying a new Tesla. I know it's saving costs on the production side, but will the potential loss of acquiring new customers make those savings worth it? 🤔

We need renewables to reduce fossil fuel usage in aggregate. Not find new ways to consume the electricity generated by new capacity (that was created to replace fossil fuels in the first place, not supplement it)
From the big picture stuff I have read, @replicant is correct. To a first-order estimation, globally, our energy use has been rising fast enough to gobble up all the amazing renewable generation we have created. Therefore, the only thing that matters to global warming (amount of GHG in the atmosphere) has still been increasing. We have run faster, but the treadmill under our feet has sped up.
Therefore what? Do we need to run even faster on renewables? Do we need to ban fossils? Change our habits?

All this being only most in the most broad since applicable to investing per se, I have a feeling the ever reliable @Buckminster has a thread for us...

Lately Tesla is following the market down with its usual additional volatility. Stocks are just responding to the increased potential to make money in the bond market. The supply of investment money is finite, and much is being shifted to bonds. People here don’t seem to understand that the bond market can supply gains comparable to stocks. Combine that with the effect of high rates on car sales and actually TSLA is doing fairly well.
You mean most are dumping bonds since that's the only way for the interest rate for treasures to go higher. I believe cash on the sideline is at ATH currently. People are not buying stocks or bonds due to risk free money market giving out great rates without the risk of bond and stock value dropping in a rate increase environment.