Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nothing funny about it- they're both sedans, so same MSRP limit.

One gets it because the batteries come from Nevada, the other gets half because the batteries come from China (it's slightly more complex than that, sourcing of the materials and such, but that's the short version)
Can someone tell me why GM's EVs get full credit given most of their drivetrain and battery/cells come from South Korea?

Can someone tell me why GM's EVs get full credit given most of their drivetrain and battery/cells come from South Korea?
Drivetrain origin doesn't matter. And I think they have switched to batteries made in the US for the Bolt. (Still made by LG, but made here now.)

The Ultium batteries used by "all" of their new EVs are also made in the US.

I just finished watching this episode.

Jeff Lutz is a great contributor to the TSLA community. As @Carl Raymond mentions, he does a great job in this video of explaining what's happening with COGS and margins. Some things he glossed over (like a question about when and how material he expects input cost decreases to impact gross margins), probably because he doesn't know and doesn't want to hype things of which he is not sure.

My take-away is that Tesla has all the data (input costs, demand curves and the price elasticity of demand, logistics, utilization costs, impact of price changes versus impact of advertising, etc.) and know what they are doing. Will they make mistakes? Of course they will. But I have never seen a company learn so much, iterate so quickly and improve on their execution as well as Tesla. What gives some angst (and becomes fodder for FUD) is that Tesla thinks outside the box and does things so differently than anyone else - first principles thinking versus reasoning by analogy. Eschewing advertising, constant price changes, setting and communicating ridiculously high goals even if it means sometimes falling short, are all practices that are new and unique to the industry. I have little doubt that in time, these practices will pay off. Just like other new practices that Tesla implemented has paid off handsomely. Think gigafactories, direct sales model, castings, setting up Shanghai GF, vertical integration, structural battery packs, etc.

I will continue to trust them to make the right choices unless and until they prove otherwise.

Don't know if I can get past the glasses and the hair though... might be better in a podcast.

Farzad had this good table of US EV pricing now in his Video today, with this one ordered by “net price” (after EV tax credit applied):

73BC7BA7-ABBA-4595-B0A6-3559F8C576BB.jpeg

Full video here:

Ugh, only 108 miles range (that's w/o the EZ-bake oven turned on), 115 mph charge rate on L3, and 630 Wh/mi rated energy consumption, I think I'll just wait for the Tesla van2rv conversion, thank-you... ;)

The eRV2 has a range of just 108 miles, which is even less than the e-RV's rather pedestrian 125-mile range. The E-Transit platform does at least allow for DC fast charging, so you'll be able to fill up the battery to 80 percent in 45 minutes.

North America's FIRST All-Electric, Zero Emissions RV? Winnebago eRV2 Facts & Features | Munro Live

Just in from Papafox here:
News:
* The U.S. government has released a list of which vehicles qualify for how much IRA payment. Farzad Mesbahi covered the topic in this video podcast on Monday. His conclusions? Tesla and to a lesser extent GM are the two big winners. Tesla should be able to sell somewhere between 75% and 80% of EVs in the U.S. going forward. He believes Tesla is gearing up for maximum expansion.
1681800066028.jpeg

Any Tesla related stuff from the Tucker Carlson interview? Don't feel like wading through Twitter or watching
Not really lol.

Only mention Was basically “I think we need an AI regulatory agency despite the fact that I know how much of a pain in the ass it is to be regulated. Tesla has enough regulations to fill this room.”

It’s a good interview though, not very political more philosophical about AI evolution and Googles approach to AI vs OpenAI vs what Elons upcoming AI company will do. Said that regulation normally happens after something “bad” happens, but if we wait for that to happen with AI it might be too late already.

Talked about how media always looks for the worst news today because it will drive clicks/revenue, how Twitter really didn’t need a lot of its employees to function (and how many CEOs were inspired by that lol), how New York Times should only pick the top 10 news stories to put on their feed vs every single article (including those that don’t make the physical paper).

Said he gets a bad rep but actually voted for Biden over Trump (and didn’t really regret it but said elections are unfortunately binary. Just wants someone very middle of the political distribution curve to be president, but considering how hostile politics are nowadays it probably deters many of the best from wanting to go there.

Tucker let Elon go on very long monologues most of the time. There was literally like a 2 minute monologue about “the most ironic outcome is the most likely.” Literally 🤣he kept going on about it hahahah

Last edited:
I'm both looking forward to and dreading earnings tomorrow.

Looking forward because I always love to find out how the company is doing financially.

Dreading because I do feel, given all the price cuts, that our margins are going to be taking a sizable hit tomorrow. A large enough hit to hurt the stock and drive us down lower again.

It's all short term noise of course and it won't impact my TSLA holdings whatsoever, but still, I'd rather the stock go UP than DOWN... 😔

Farzad had this good table of US EV pricing now in his Video today, with this one ordered by “net price” (after EV tax credit applied):

View attachment 929388

Full video here:

I know everyone believes the $25k electric car will ignite sales like never before, but when you look at the Bolt it is practically already there...heck the regular Bolt is less than $20k with the rebate! I'm sure the Tesla version will be better (and more "cool/desirable"), but it isn't just about price apparently either (for the consumer). Of course the elephants in the room are 1.) GM is likely losing money on every Bolt/Bolt EUV they sell, 2.) They are production limited with this "last gen" car/battery/etc, and 3.) The dealers make it difficult to actually find cars at these prices that aren't loaded up or have "dealer installed options". Still...a 250+ mile $25k (money losing) car exists...for those that can find one.
I have to admit being tempted to pick up a base Bolt EUV at these prices...

Last edited:
I have to admit being tempted to pick up a base Bolt EUV at these prices...

No L3 charging makes the Bolt a 250-mile range 'city car'. Some people say half the value in their Tesla is the convenience of road trips with the Supercharger network. Big difference, which will continue with the Tesla Compact Car (a.k.a. "Model 2").

No L3 charging makes the Bolt a 250-mile range 'city car'. Some people say half the value in their Tesla is the convenience of road trips with the Supercharger network. Big difference, which will continue with the Tesla Compact Car (a.k.a. "Model 2").

Downvote for using city car for a long-range EV. It has CCS, but slow, so it's more an in-range car or day-tripper, but a long-range BEV's range can cover a lot of driving within range.

I last drove outside my range in July 2022.

The difference will depend on what happens to CCS charging in the meantime (including if Tesla _really_ supports CCS). Every trip I've made beyond range in my Kona is now easier than it was when I did it. One of the trips would have been harder a few months before.

But clearly it makes a difference. My wife wants to wait and see what happens in the next couple of years before buying a 2nd BEV, particularly to see how Walmart follows up on its charging network press release. If we were to buy now we'd replace our old Volt with another PHEV. If Tesla made a car we wanted, things would be very different.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: growler23