Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Table with current Q3 forecasts:

View attachment 864999
Without “showing my work”, I’ll go on record with $22.3B, 28.1% Auto GM, and $1.075 non-GAAP…and will hope to be very, very, very wrong…

@The Accountant - any interest in compiling a second table for those of us only offering our end results, not the requisite P&L?

Last edited:
WTI down nicely since Monday morning, getting itself back into the plummeting trend. My hope is this is related to to the bear short squeeze and TSLA earnings are another huge punch in the face for the "bad guys".

wti weekly.png

Say it with me: "Buying Opportunity". :cool:
Unless someone is going to give this 52 year old man a multi-million dollar contract, paid up front, to pole dance at the club...

I don't have money for any more "buying opportunities"....

I just want to cash out what I have at SP 600....

Sooner rather than later....

I want to comment on the R&D accounting thing. This has always been a TSLAQ argument that is based on specious reasoning.

It is true that Tesla accounts for R&D differently than other automakers who put it in automotive COGS and this, in a sense, makes Tesla's auto gross margin percentage not directly comparable to other car companies without first making some attempt to adjust for this accounting difference.

However, bears running with this point do not like to acknowledge that Tesla's R&D expenses do in fact behave more like indirect overhead expenses than COGS, because Tesla's R&D is apparently more or less invariant with respect to production volume. GoJo, of course, conveniently neglects to mention that since it doesn't fit his narrative. The ratio of Tesla's total R&D spending to auto gross profit has been declining precipitously and will continue to do so as production volume continues to explode. It's leveled out at 16% in recent quarters because Tesla's volume growth temporarily plateaued and because Tesla is ramping up a whole bunch of new R&D efforts. Tesla is doing R&D on a lot of stuff that has nothing to do with making S3XY cars. For example: Dojo, Optimus, FSD computer, Megapacks, Powerwalls, Solar Roof, Autobidder, metallurgy for die casting that has many potential long-term applications beyond car-making, Robotaxi, and secret skunkworks projects we don't know about. Since Q1 2018, Tesla's vehicle deliveries have grown by an order of magnitude while R&D expenditure has merely doubled. This is a property of fixed costs, not variable costs, and COGS is supposed to represent variable costs only or fixed costs like factory overhead that directly relate to producing goods.

View attachment 865009

View attachment 865010
QuarterR&D / Auto Gross ProfitAuto Gross ProfitResearch & Development
Q1 201865%$ 569$ 367
Q2 201856%$ 691$ 386
Q3 201821%$ 1,711$ 351
Q4 201818%$ 1,955$ 356
Q1 201945%$ 751$ 340
Q2 201932%$ 1,016$ 324
Q3 201927%$ 1,222$ 334
Q4 201924%$ 1,434$ 345
Q1 202025%$ 1,311$ 324
Q2 202021%$ 1,317$ 279
Q3 202017%$ 2,105$ 366
Q4 202023%$ 2,244$ 522
Q1 202128%$ 2,385$ 666
Q2 202120%$ 2,899$ 576
Q3 202117%$ 3,673$ 611
Q4 202115%$ 4,882$ 740
Q1 202216%$ 5,539$ 865
Q2 202216%$ 4,081$ 667

Adding one more thought to this, that perhaps TheAccountant could comment on.

It's my lay understanding that other automakers link their R&D expenses to a specific product and amortize them across the lifecycle of the car (that's why they put them into the automotive gross margin calculation).

Like a lot of tech companies, Tesla takes an immediate expense on all (almost all?) R&D. This actually had the effect of dampening net income for a very long time, until, as Gigapress notes, those R&D expenses started to bear fruit. Secondly, it's what created all those tax loss carryforwards.

While it's just one factor, this early frontloading of R&D expense is now contributing to TSLA's current phase of high GAAP net income growth.

I don't agree, Analcysts know squat intimately. They love it, they make they living play in it, pushing it around the bowl. I think James Stephenson is the King of pretty graphs, and those don't move the market.

This is the Kabuki dance part of Wall St. Everyone knows the outcome in advance, and everyone is expected to be in their chair when the theatre begins.

Their negative narrative has a life of its own, independent of facts on the ground. Analysts just push it out to their audience, who are all paying customers. It does not need to resemble reality, as long as the house can still fill all the seats.

Which they do, handily, thanks to short-term thinking and ownership of the regulator (SEC). How do we get past this? Master Plan Part Trois. MASSIVE TONNAGE.

Cheers!
Wait a cotton-pickin' minute (Not racists my wife picked cotton on our last vacation to Alabama), did you actually intentionally or unintentionally come up with the greatest confustication I have ever read by a long shot on TMC. I think it qualifies as prose higher than poetry (so is TSLA going to $160/share).
To get "squat" and then reconstruct "analysts" as analcysts... which they know "intimately."
I laughed so hard I prolapsed a humorhoid.

Mod: too good to delete, but no-one may go any further down this ... hole. --ggr

Last edited by a moderator:
Also I have no idea where GoJo is getting those gross margin numbers for other car companies from. Thin air? His bum? His source says "Company filings" so let's look at GM's last 10-Q for Q2 '22.

1666110232813.png

$32.6B auto revenue
$29.3B auto COGS
1-29.3/32.6 = 10% gross margin.

How is GoJo getting ~27% for his table? Even if we throw in GM Financial which gets better margins, the total is $35.8B rev, $31.4B cost, and 12% gross margin. I can't find GM reporting specific numbers for R&D anywhere in the 10-Q or earnings press releases. Unless I missed it, they don't even disclose this information.

For GM to get 27% gross margin on automotive without R&D included (supposing the $31.4B cost figure is including all R&D expenses) that would mean GM is spending $31.4B - (1-0.27)*$35.8B = $5.3B every quarter on R&D. If they're actually spending an order of magnitude more than Tesla on R&D for their piss-poor results, that's not really building the case that Tesla is overvalued relative to GM.

Last edited:
Also I have no idea where GoJo is getting those gross margin numbers for other car companies from.

GM's 10-Q, for instance, shows $32.6B auto revenue and $29.3B auto COGS, which would be 10% gross margin. How is GoJo getting ~27% for his table? Even if we throw in GM financial which gets better margins, the total is $35.8B rev, $31.4B cost, and 12% gross margin. I can't find GM reporting specific numbers for R&D anywhere in the 10-Q or earnings press releases. Unless I missed it, they don't even disclose this information.

For GM to get 27% gross margin on automotive without R&D included (supposing the $31.4B cost figure is including all R&D expenses) that would mean GM is spending $31.4B - (1-0.27)*$35.8B = $5.3B every quarter on R&D. If they're actually spending an order of magnitude more than Tesla on R&D for their piss-poor results, that's not really building the case that Tesla is overvalued relative to GM.

Grimm's Industrial Analcysts' Chearinghouse is where he gets all his numbers from.

Also I have no idea where GoJo is getting those gross margin numbers for other car companies from. Thin air? His bum?

GM's 10-Q, for instance, shows $32.6B auto revenue and $29.3B auto COGS, which would be 10% gross margin. How is GoJo getting ~27% for his table? Even if we throw in GM Financial which gets better margins, the total is $35.8B rev, $31.4B cost, and 12% gross margin. I can't find GM reporting specific numbers for R&D anywhere in the 10-Q or earnings press releases. Unless I missed it, they don't even disclose this information.

I would pay good money to see you call him out on Twitter about it.

But then he would probably just block you.

Unless someone is going to give this 52 year old man a multi-million dollar contract, paid up front, to pole dance at the club...

I don't have money for any more "buying opportunities"....

I just want to cash out what I have at SP 600....

Sooner rather than later....
I am pulling really hard for you to be able to cash out at $600.

For several reasons. But now maybe the best reason is to get the image of your first sentence out of my head.

Wait a cotton-pickin' minute (Not racists my wife picked cotton on our last vacation to Alabama), did you actually intentionally or unintentionally come up with the greatest confustication I have ever read by a long shot on TMC. I think it qualifies as prose higher than poetry (so is TSLA going to $160/share).
To get "squat" and then reconstruct "analysts" as analcysts... which they know "intimately."
I laughed so hard I prolapsed a humorhoid.

Um, ass is a dish best served cold? :p

Khan cold revenge.jpg

Cheers!