Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would like to ask everyone talking about Rich and his affairs to continue this discussion in a thread unrelated to Tesla investing. I believe this is what we agreed when we said we self-police?
I created a thread: Rich Rebuilds Model X discussion

Mod: thank you!

I tried moving the two dozen posts about Rich to that thread but unfortunately that doesn’t work as it is outside of the investor subforum.

Last edited by a moderator:
How are you measuring your leverage?
I appreciate the question wasn't directed at me, but I'm measuring my leverage by comparing the delta of position in question to the delta of a pure-stock position. E.g.,

For $500k,
* I can buy ~769 shares at $650. Since each share is a delta of 1, the position's delta would be 769.
* Instead, I might be able to buy 20 CALLs with a strike of $450 (*). Those CALLs might have a delta of 0.8 each for a total position delta 20 x 0.8 x 100 = 1,600.

1,600 / 769 = 2.08 --> this is the leverage how I define it.

(*) I made up the price of $250 per call/$25k per contract for the purpose of this example

Consumer Reports has attempted to review high tech items many times over the years -- their efforts have always been laughable. They do fine with things that tend to change slowly over decades. But computers? small electronic devices? EVs? No. They are clueless. Their reviews make sense only for people who don't want all this new-fangled junk that they don't understand, which will just break.

So their good ratings should be ignored, just same as their bad ratings. Worthless.
I agree. Their reviews are written for their subscribers - mostly old people that can't understand even the simplest new technology. Also CR is not the "purely member supported" entity that some think it is. Read the disclaimer at the bottom of this CR page which describes them collecting fees from car sales through their website - fees they can't get from the sale of a Tesla.

Also CR is not the "purely member supported" entity that some think it is. Read the disclaimer at the bottom of this CR page which describes them collecting fees from car sales through their website - fees they can't get from the sale of a Tesla.
Not keen on the "old folks" comment as now I are one :) But the idea that CR is independent has been false for a very long time--if it ever was true. Not taking advertising money is not equal to not taking money.

Last edited:
I agree. Their reviews are written for their subscribers - mostly old people that can't understand even the simplest new technology. Also CR is not the "purely member supported" entity that some think it is. Read the disclaimer at the bottom of this CR page which describes them collecting fees from car sales through their website - fees they can't get from the sale of a Tesla.
If they had used a Tesla referral code CR could have earned the entire first run production of Roadsters. What a missed opportunity for them.

I appreciate the question wasn't directed at me, but I'm measuring my leverage by comparing the delta of position in question to the delta of a pure-stock position. E.g.,

For $500k,
* I can buy ~769 shares at $650. Since each share is a delta of 1, the position's delta would be 769.
* Instead, I might be able to buy 20 CALLs with a strike of $450 (*). Those CALLs might have a delta of 0.8 each for a total position delta 20 x 0.8 x 100 = 1,600.

1,600 / 769 = 2.08 --> this is the leverage how I define it.

(*) I made up the price of $250 per call/$25k per contract for the purpose of this example

This is how I calculate it as well. I spent much of Nov and Dec around 3.75-4. Now down to 2.2ish.

From Twitter

Attachments

• upload_2020-12-26_21-1-20.png
    upload_2020-12-26_21-1-20.png
    203.3 KB · Views: 109
From Twitter

Don’t tell anyone, but my reading of this is, 500k produced is in the bag! Possibly 500k delivered as well. Currently trying to knock it out of the park.

My reasoning for it is, there are physical limitations to how much they can increase production above the normal rate in 5 working days to significantly alter the end result. In terms of deliveries, again, they probably have enough orders to beat the 500k number and it’s just a matter of handing the cars to the waiting customers. Worst case (seriously bad weather, forced to close some stores due to pandemic-related restrictions, etc.) they would be only about 1000-2000 deliveries short. Best case, they beat by 5000-10,000 deliveries.

Don’t tell anyone, but my reading of this is, 500k produced is in the bag! Possibly 500k delivered as well. Currently trying to knock it out of the park.

My reasoning for it is, there are physical limitations to how much they can increase production above the normal rate in 5 working days to significantly alter the end result. In terms of deliveries, again, they probably have enough orders to beat the 500k number and it’s just a matter of handing the cars to the waiting customers. Worst case (seriously bad weather, forced to close some stores due to pandemic-related restrictions, etc.) they would be only about 1000-2000 deliveries short. Best case, they beat by 5000-10,000 deliveries.
Agree, at this point, unless there is a major breakdown, I doubt the difference between production days are more than 5% or so. That would make a difference of a couple of hundred cars for the rest of the year at most. It's more likely they are over by 3,000 than they are under by 300.

Reactions: saniflash
Last edited: