Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm baffled...it is a bit too much...what will friends and family say when I just stop working...don't know how to handle this to be honest...
Look I am old, and I wanna give you something to consider...
IF you are really sure of retirement then do NOT stop working. Nononono. Do not get me wrong hear me out.
Do not stop working, but instead start doing the same job with the same people but do it the way you believe it should be done. Don't hurt someone unintentionally. But if you feel like you always thought the job could be done better by doing it your way then try it out. What's the worst that happens? You become a legend?
EDIT: Evidently I quoted the wrong post...this was intended for the member that was considering quitting his job.

Last edited:
I made more than 2 years of my household income before taxes in one day today. At this rate, watching the ticker might become my full time job!

It's important for your investment performance going forward to not think of it as "making" money. To do that you would have to sell which is probably a very bad idea (not advice).

That said, today my brokerage account increased by over 7 times the largest annual earned income I've ever achieved!

Yeah, I think we need a thread on tax strategy. I’ve got silly TSLA gains in my non-retirement account now. Seems likely that a 2021 regime change will bring an increased Cap Gains tax rate.
Worst case that wouldn't happen until 2022 IMO. Biden has talked a bit about rolling back tax cuts but not sure if he will want to slow growth right when we are recovering.

I’ve got nobody irl to talk to about this stuff.

so I’ll tell you all I asked the boss to go part time at market close today
Isn't that tough? I have one good buddy that I share most of my info with and that's about it.

• Helpful
Reactions: wtlloyd
Today's run-up smells to me like:
• Expectation that Tesla can work the numbers (GHG credits, FSD recognition, etc.) to make Q2 have a GAAP profit.
• Expectation that such profit means almost certain S&P 500 inclusion.
• Expectation that such inclusion means an additional run-up in price.
• Expectation that such run-up in price means margin calls.
• Knowledge that such margin calls mean a short squeeze.

The feedback loop of the last two points has begun, I believe.

Now the only question is how long these non-fundamentals last. Normally, the peak would be the day before S&P 500 inclusion. The "almost" in "almost certain" for S&P 500 inclusion should mean, I would think, that index funds would not actually be able to buy up TSLA shares before the actual announcement, which should come around Sept 20th.

One possible wrinkle is whether Standard & Poor's wants TSLA in. I know they have rules, but they also have a committee that makes the final decision - and we all remember the committee changed the rules recently to keep SNAP out. Would they attempt something similar here? Do they really want TSLA's volatility in their staid index?

Yeah, I think we need a thread on tax strategy. I’ve got silly TSLA gains in my non-retirement account now. Seems likely that a 2021 regime change will bring an increased Cap Gains tax rate.

Even if the Democrats entirely take over the government in early 2021, any revised tax laws would likely first take effect for gains realized in 2022. They almost certainly would not be in effect for any gains realized in 2021 before any new tax laws passed at some later date in 2021.

During the pandemic or its immediate aftermath, it would not yet be the time for the government to remove more money from the private economy. In any event, the congressional debates could be protracted, and new tax bills may not be able to overcome the 60% hurdle in the senate.

Last edited: