Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nonsense.
Is it? If you were an employee, how would you feel if your employer said if you didn't come to work against county order, which may or may not be constitutional/moral/legal/whatever, it might affect your unemployment benefits, and one more thing: we're relocating the company in a couple years or so?
I said this before and I'm saying again, I'm getting a vibe from Tesla that says we'll get to our end goal even if we have to step on some people who supported us in the past. The SP too high tweet could have harmed employees who couldn't afford to hold the stock long term. Tesla factory employees made like $60k a year and they're living in one of the most expensive places in the US.

Last edited:
Is it? If you were an employee, how would you feel if your employer said if you didn't come to work against county order, which may or may not be constitutional/moral/legal/whatever, it might affect your unemployment benefits, and one more thing: we're relocating the company in a couple years or so.
I said this before and I'm saying again, I'm getting a vibe from Tesla that says we'll get to our end goal even if we have to step on some people who supported us in the past. The SP too high tweet could have harmed employees who couldn't afford to hold the stock long term. Tesla factory employees made like $60k a year and they're living in one of the most expensive places in the US.

That's not what was said.

That's not what was said.

Yes ... Elon DIDN'T say he wanted to move HQ and possibly all future operations out of CA.

Wow .... this place has really turned into an echo chamber of ridiculous proportions ......

Once again, his goal of getting the factory back online could have been done in a more appropriate manner that didn't turn Tesla into a political punching bag. Just get out of this forum for a few seconds and listen to the rhetoric on BOTH sides. Tim Cook managed Apple throughout that entire China/Trump fiasco and managed to keep Apple out of the fray ... that's called real leadership.

FWIW, I think Tesla could have easily worked this out without creating a complete PR nightmare
They tried and failed because the interim count health official wouldn't hear about how Tesla already was running successfully in the Chinese factory.

.... I do think they should be given the chance to prove they can reopen safely
Tesla wasn't given a chance. Before the lawsuit they were told that the conditions would be reexamined in six or maybe twelve weeks and then they would see about developing a plan. When the lawsuit happened, they then changed their tune to the 18th to make it appear that it was reasonable.

The amount of negative sentiment he has stirred up for the company was unnecessary,
It appears he gained even more goodwill.

he could have accomplished the same thing with a call to Newsom (we know now that he didn't as Newsom was unaware of what Elon was up to) and come out looking like a hero: "We are working closely with the leadership of CA to reopen and get people back to work so they can take care of their families" .... Could have been a WIN/WIN.
Newsom was already on record saying basically he washed his hands of the whole affair and shuffled it to the county level. All a call would have done (assuming he didn't) would have been to get a "It's the county's decision". And Newsom came off looking like a chump that passes the buck rather than making a decision. If Elon hadn't done what he did, the factory likely wouldn't be reopened this year.

Is it? If you were an employee, how would you feel if your employer said if you didn't come to work against county order, which may or may not be constitutional/moral/legal/whatever, it might affect your unemployment benefits, and one more thing: we're relocating the company in a couple years or so?

$60k goes a lot further in TX than CA.

Also, if they don't like it, they can go found their own company. Seriously, these are the inherent risks you take when you are an employee.

Current economic environment, I bet a LOT of Tesla employees would move if necessary. Those that don't, that's just life, you find another job.

No one guarantees anyone anything. Welcome to life.

A little OT...
I'm finding some amazing deals on used items (craigslist etc...) which seems to track the April drop in cost of Goods & Services. My banking neighbor claims that deflation occurs before inflation. True? Are we headed for that inflation rollercoaster too? I'm buying stuff only bc of my retirement age timing this year, but it's a candy store out there - feels like I'm ripping people off while they're glad anyone is buying at all it seems.

Ya, we have about 1 year of sale moving forward as businesses fight for the few customers who actually have cash. I plan on buying all the big life item within the next year.

Treatment's pretty good when you are 1 out of the 10 daily customer your local starbucks get.

As far as I can tell, deniers (at least all the ones who were my former co-workers) ask one question: Will this happen in the next (10-20-30) years? If not, then they don't care. Even those with children and grandchildren who would be affected. They just want theirs now.

It’s not that they don’t care, it’s that they don’t want to believe it because if true it would be a threat to their way of life. The brain is very good at ignoring (perceived) non-immediate threats to focus on (perceived) immediate ones.

(Source: family members in deep red areas)

$60k goes a lot further in TX than CA.

Also, if they don't like it, they can go found their own company. Seriously, these are the inherent risks you take when you are an employee.

Current economic environment, I bet a LOT of Tesla employees would move if necessary. Those that don't, that's just life, you find another job.

No one guarantees anyone anything. Welcome to life.
And I'd guess that when that happens (five or more years down the road. No way they will move the factory until there is a lot more prodution--two more GFs in North America minimum) there will almost certainly be a moving package for the employees.

Yes ... Elon DIDN'T say he wanted to move HQ and possibly all future operations out of CA.

Wow .... this place has really turned into an echo chamber of ridiculous proportions ......

Once again, his goal of getting the factory back online could have been done in a more appropriate manner that didn't turn Tesla into a political punching bag. Just get out of this forum for a few seconds and listen to the rhetoric on BOTH sides. Tim Cook managed Apple throughout that entire China/Trump fiasco and managed to keep Apple out of the fray ... that's called real leadership.

So you are comparing the tariff Apple would have faced in the trade war between US and China to the shutdown of Tesla's main factory that accounts for 70-80% of output for an extended period of time? Apple would have come out that with out much of a dent in it's cash position. I do not think Tesla would be able to afford an extended shutdown.

I am a Union electrician in St. Louis. I am sitting at home and my employer wants me at work. We service and build hospitals but my project ended and I chose to sit out. I am NOT receiving unemployment because I have a job I can go to. Extremist need to stop with the BS about horrible companies.... and that is coming from a UNION guy.

Creating sock puppet accounts to get around bans is very explicitly against the rules. "It was me wot done it, Gov!", since @Right_Said_Fred wasn't around. He is perfectly capable of undoing my action if he chooses to.

Thanks GGR.
At least he seemingly was open and honest in his making of the account. There was no attempt at deception. His post, was well thought out, and it was obvious time was put into writing it, which is not so obvious for many posts in this thread. As said, not that i agree with everything, but traditionally in my opinion, this board has had a much lower threshold to ban anyone with a dissenting to the majority opinion, who 'repeats things' than someone who agrees with the majority but repeats things just as much.

I thought it contributed to the discussion, so maybe in cases like this , with a person showing openness, honesty, and contributing , rules can be re-evaluated.