Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think people are far too quick to dismiss the Zoe and the Leaf as serious competition. I can accept that the e-tron and i-pace are a bit of a joke, because they are trying to take on the model S and they just cannot compete by any metric, but looking at the model 3...
Here is the UK the model 3 starts at:
£40,490
The Leaf:
£26,845
The Zoe:
£26,495

Now yeah, I get it, the model 3 is WAY BETTER and all the specs show it, but here in the UK, we are not often doing thousand mile road trips, its not that big a place :D A lot of people want a car just to drive around their home town/city in, and frankly a 0-60 speed that terrifies a BMW driver is not important, nor is a range of 300 miles. Nor is a lot of the high-tech stuff in a tesla.

A friend of mine, a fellow software dev who earns GOOD money, has decided to buy a new ICE vehicle, despite really wanting an EV, because he thinks EVs are too expensive right now. He is right. Maybe the model 3 is considered 'affordable' in certain parts of california, but certainly not in the UK, its very much a premium car.

As an investor, I see lots of profit in tesla being able to crush jaguar, porsche, BMW and Audi in the next few years, but if they really want to do anything about the climate change mission, they need to sell cars to everyone. Frankly the model 3 needs to be comfortably under £30k to become a true mass market car here.
Sounds like Tesla needs to make a smaller, less expensive car for Europe. Be patient. It is coming. I wouldn't load up on Renault stock.

For those who feel Bobby Llewellyn’s Polestar 2 review is too “everyday man” and not specific enough, there’s another more “pro” review of that EV from Jonny Smith, Bobby’s mate and former co-host on Fully Charged.

Spoiler alert: he prefers the looks of the Polestar (in and out), thinks Tesla’s brakes are made of chocolate.

Last edited:
I mean, let's add things up.

From the top 25 automakers by market cap, subtracting Ferrari (niche), Chinese (protectionist, although possible that Tesla could eat them too), and Indian (protectionist), I'm getting $832.34B from Tesla monopolizing the auto industry.

Then there's another $1.231T from eating the top ten oil companies.

I'm not sure how much of the electric utilities Tesla would eat, but that could be quite a lot, too.

If automation works, let's toss in another $61.59B from Tesla eating Uber and Lyft.

...of course, I also don't see Tesla eating that much in 4 years, though...

Don’t forget that these companies currently have fairly low valuations, because of Tesla, decarbonisation, bad strategic decisions, and other bad things that have caused investors to stop believing in a rosy future for these companies. Instead, add up the valuations of these companies at a time in the past when the sky was their limit. That’s the potential valuation of Tesla, which is currently going towards it’s ‘sky is the limit’ period.

Well I can't possibly imagine any S&P or capital-raise announcement today, not on an options Friday, Stan Morgan wouldn't allow that, they'd be keeping something back, stopping the finalisation of the offer until Monday.

Seems "common sense" to me (from their perspective).

Edit: WT actual F, pre-market just went from $1523 to $1491 in a single step... Pfff!

Edit 2: and then back to $1525 again... for crying out loud!

Sorry about that.
I needed some money to buy calls.

I think people are far too quick to dismiss the Zoe and the Leaf as serious competition. I can accept that the e-tron and i-pace are a bit of a joke, because they are trying to take on the model S and they just cannot compete by any metric, but looking at the model 3...
Here is the UK the model 3 starts at:
£40,490
The Leaf:
£26,845
The Zoe:
£26,495

Now yeah, I get it, the model 3 is WAY BETTER and all the specs show it, but here in the UK, we are not often doing thousand mile road trips, its not that big a place :D A lot of people want a car just to drive around their home town/city in, and frankly a 0-60 speed that terrifies a BMW driver is not important, nor is a range of 300 miles. Nor is a lot of the high-tech stuff in a tesla.

A friend of mine, a fellow software dev who earns GOOD money, has decided to buy a new ICE vehicle, despite really wanting an EV, because he thinks EVs are too expensive right now. He is right. Maybe the model 3 is considered 'affordable' in certain parts of california, but certainly not in the UK, its very much a premium car.

As an investor, I see lots of profit in tesla being able to crush jaguar, porsche, BMW and Audi in the next few years, but if they really want to do anything about the climate change mission, they need to sell cars to everyone. Frankly the model 3 needs to be comfortably under £30k to become a true mass market car here.

You can’t say ‘serious competition’ and then acknowledge Model 3 WAY BETTER (never mind they are two different classes of cars). Well, you can say it, but it’ll be nonsensical gibberish. TSLAQ much?

We already know Elon thinks his cars are too expensive. We already know Tesla will design a car specifically for Europe. And guaranteed it’ll be WAY BETTER than the Zoe at a competitive price point making the term ‘serious competition’ still nonsensical gibberish.

For those who feel Bobby Llewellyn’s Polestar 2 review is too “everyday man” and not specific enough, there’s another more “pro” review of that EV from Jonny Smith, Bobby’s mate and former co-host on Fully Charged.

Spoiler alert: he prefers the looks of the Polestar (in and out), thinks Tesla’s brakes are made of chocolate.
They're not made of chocolate, that's rubbish.
They're made of a type of cheese, but I'm not sure if it's Brie or Stinking Bishop.

You're happy owning a smaller % of the future growth of Tesla?
You're happy with institutions being offered shares for their tracker funds rather than having to buy them in the market?

I know it's only conjecture, but I wouldn't be.
You still don’t get it. Tesla is bigger under this scenario. More money allows for faster growth. If Elon can’t use that money fast enough, he will say no. That’s why I said an offering is unlikely.

If we end the day flat at 1500 I will cry for atleast a hour.

Hmm...doesn’t really sound like you’re committed very much. A lousy hour? It takes longer to make banana bread. Put another way, people who make banana bread are more committed to bananas and bread than you are to TSLA. I’m not sure you belong here.

Guy with a model X claims the suspension broke for no reason and Tesla claims owner fault. Twitter called him out, including his short positions but Jaloponik still goes on the attack.

I have to say I don’t understand people who spend their lives focusing on things they don’t like. How miserable is that? Like, I don’t enjoy Pepsi but I don’t spend time talking about it or posting about it. Losers.

Guy with a model X claims the suspension broke for no reason and Tesla claims owner fault. Twitter called him out, including his short positions but Jaloponik still goes on the attack.

I have to say I don’t understand people who spend their lives focusing on things they don’t like. How miserable is that? Like, I don’t enjoy Pepsi but I don’t spend time talking about it or posting about it. Losers.

Jalop-what now? Is that some sort of primitive, outdated automobile blog website? Kinda like the MySpace for cars?

You can’t say ‘serious competition’ and then acknowledge Model 3 WAY BETTER (never mind they are two different classes of cars). Well, you can say it, but it’ll be nonsensical gibberish. TSLAQ much?

We already know Elon thinks his cars are too expensive. We already know Tesla will design a car specifically for Europe. And guaranteed it’ll be WAY BETTER than the Zoe at a competitive price point making the term ‘serious competition’ still nonsensical gibberish.

Well, that car is not existent now, so right now there is no point talking about it.
I'm not saying that, as an investment, Renault is better than Tesla.
Nor that I'm worried about Renault as a competitor.
But at the moment Renault is probably the best brand out there for millions of folks like me who want an EV as a "second" car. Incentives help a lot, of course, I'd *never* buy it at full price.
When Tesla arrives, it will eat the cake, but I fear it will be after 2024.