Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With all due respect you miss the point. We do not know to what extent respondents to the JD Power questionnaire complained about fit and finish. We only know that an executive said so.

So you think he's lying about the results of his own companies survey?

Results anybody who pays for a copy (admitted it's not cheap) can check for themselves and catch him lying?

What sense would that make?

I have posted on the IQS specifically. I also mentioned that I was a consumer fo IQS data on behalf of an OEM client.

Then can you cite any past examples where a JD employee said a majority of negative remarks for a specific car or brand were X, and then when you saw the raw IQS data that wasn't actually true?

If not it's puzzling you seem sure that happened here.

I am NOT anti-IQS, but state emphatically that the specific intention of IQS is to measure how easily people adjust to a new vehicle plus evaluate delivery defects. It is a misuse to think it relates to anything much beyond simplicity and ease of adaptation.

Here's what JD Power said it's related to-

JD Power Automotive President said:
Tesla’s issues were mostly related to production-related issues like body panel gaps, paint flaws and squeaks.

That's nothing to do with how hard the nav is to use, or figuring out how to plug it in, or how confusing the phone app is.

It's fit and finish.

Even Elon called out last month a need for Tesla to minimize rectification needs on cars coming off the line.

It's WAY more expensive to fix paint, panels, etc after they come off the line than before.

And that's without even touching anything it might do to customer sat (which remains high but as others have pointed out the larger and broader your customer base the more of them are gonna start to care about stuff like that)

It keeps it close to Max Pain. That's where the MMs make the most money. With no volume it always ends up there (except when it doesn't).

My context was for a secondary offering (should have clarified earlier). How does keeping prices at a certain price point help both Seller and Buyer. Buyer wants lowest price, Seller wants highest.

So given the contradiction above, the pegging around 1500, might just be a Max-Pain issue. $1480 for tomorrow, but quite high #of calls around 1500.

Reactions: WarpedOne
So how does pegging TSLA @ 1500 help both Seller and Buyer at the same time?
IF there is an offering coinciding with S&P inclusion then it MAY be that underwriters are suggesting to prospective subscribers that it be priced at, say, 1500. If there is enough interest at 1500 for the amount of shares being offered it COULD be that an informal deal has been made pending the S&P announcement.

The underwriters (ie. Goldman Sachs/Morgan Stanley) MIGHT want to keep the price around the already established offering price so that the subscribers don't feel cheated if the market price dropped to 1300 and Tesla doesn't feel cheated if the market price went to 1700. So to stabilize the price they buy it in their account if it drops much below and sell it if it goes too far above.

This is a lot of speculation but it is a way to explain the attraction to 1500.

New Tesla Vehicule Safety Report released for 2020Q2:
In the 2nd quarter, we registered one accident for every 4.53 million miles driven in which drivers had Autopilot engaged. For those driving without Autopilot but with our active safety features, we registered one accident for every 2.27 million miles driven. For those driving without Autopilot and without our active safety features, we registered one accident for every 1.56 million miles driven. By comparison, NHTSA’s most recent data shows that in the United States there is an automobile crash every 479,000 miles.

Compared to 2020Q1:
In the 1st quarter, we registered one accident for every 4.68 million miles driven in which drivers had Autopilot engaged. For those driving without Autopilot but with our active safety features, we registered one accident for every 1.99 million miles driven. For those driving without Autopilot and without our active safety features, we registered one accident for every 1.42 million miles driven. By comparison, NHTSA’s most recent data shows that in the United States there is an automobile crash every 479,000 miles.

FFS, enough already!!

858088DB-45D8-4D69-BD3D-0DEF126ECD8B.jpeg

I don't understand why inclusion in the S&P500 at the current relative market capitalization is not exactly like a short squeeze.

The large index funds will be short, and they will have to cover in some period of time.

How is inclusion different in actual operation on stock price?
It's not that different and will include a short squeeze at the same-time. That's why I have speculated / dreamed it could spike to ~$10k briefly.

Perhaps I don’t come from or run in a high enough hoity toity circle to appreciate the getting there in style, where everyone pulls out a micrometer. Seems pretentious to me, but I understand such things matter to SOME. It doesn’t matter to the largest car segments of the market, in which Tesla does not yet sell.
Those people are the least likely to care about that sort of thing. They just want the latest/coolest thing. If you want perfect panels you can buy a Toyota, those people don't buy Toyotas. ;)

It's not that different and will include a short squeeze at the same-time. That's why I have speculated / dreamed it could spike to ~$10k briefly.
So I should delete my 5k sell order? :eek:

The Market Makers, Hedge Funds, and Exchange Traded Funds may have decided on a price.

I have not.
I certainly have. 10k. 8k if they buy today.

Did anyone watch the fullycharged review of the Polestar 2? It appears to be relatively on par with the M3 from the reviewers perspective (whom I respect).

My main takeaways from the review are:
  • Android car OS doesn't suck
  • The supercharger network is a bigger moat for Tesla than I had initially thought
  • Even a 10 year EV cheerleader can treat Tesla like (i assume) Americans see the Yankees, begrudgingly acknowledging their skill but getting joy out of seeing real competition - Honestly I can't believe Rob is this giddy reviewing a vehicle that is just on par with the current leader.

How long do you fancy they’ll keep this beast pinned at 1500. She’s ready to run!

I was reading that the s&p addition Could require an additional 25 million shares be purchased. At 1500, that’s 40 billion in Capitol. Maybe they bank 30 billion of it as available cash and start up a couple more giga factories. That scenario lands the stock price around 1780 when the dust settles. Seems logical to me...

Last edited:
...I will go Texas on them and shoot first, ask questions later.
That’s an unfair characterization and I take offense.

There is much more finesse involved. The social activities typically begin with “Dance, Motherf*#&er!, Dance!” - some lighthearted fancy footwork and firearms checkout. Next comes “Now Dig” - a referral to creative landscaping suitable for a small backyard garden. Finally, “Where Do You Want It?” - an amusing question and answer game that traditionally signals that the evening’s festivities are winding down.

There are variations that involve unmounted equestrian events and no-hands trapeze competitions.

Last edited:
Did anyone watch the fullycharged review of the Polestar 2? It appears to be relatively on par with the M3 from the reviewers perspective (whom I respect).

My main takeaways from the review are:
  • Android car OS doesn't suck
  • The supercharger network is a bigger moat for Tesla than I had initially thought
  • Even a 10 year EV cheerleader can treat Tesla like (i assume) Americans see the Yankees, begrudgingly acknowledging their skill but getting joy out of seeing real competition - Honestly I can't believe Rob is this giddy reviewing a vehicle that is just on par with the current leader.

Quite humorous to me that competition finally get's somewhat in sight of having a valid car to compete with TeslaI(I'm being generous here) on the eve of Tesla announcing it's new breakthrough. While we complain about bear's moving the goalposts constantly, I feel like Tesla is guilty of it even more. How many current in development projects are going to be canceled by battery day due to Tesla moving the goalpost to be competitive with them? ;)

Last edited:
Yesterday another trip in the Zoe. And I had to charge!

Problem was when I connected the car everything looked OK but after 30 sec or
The charging network: Incredibly bad! I've heard stories and occasionally fumbled a bit charging my Tesla on a Chademo. But never anything like this! Tesla is so far ahead on this that it's mindboggling!
Note that this is because you are driving a Zoe, it can almost not charge anywhere due to incompatibility with the electric network we have in Norway. Other non-Tesla’s don’t have this problem

We use the “IT” standard to wire the neutral, while the rest of Europe use TN

Whoever let the price get above $1500 is probably having a finger cut off right now.
Note that this is because you are driving a Zoe, it can almost not charge anywhere due to incompatibility with the electric network we have in Norway. Other non-Tesla’s don’t have this problem

We use the “IT” standard to wire the neutral, while the rest of Europe use TN
I've heard several accounts like that. Seems really odd that it will charge some places and not others. Do you know why?

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: tinm and Khamul