Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't get it. Since paint chips require a trip to the service center (your words), this should be a huge problem for reliability of nearly all cars. I mean after a year of driving there will always be a lot of small rock hits that produce chips in the paint. So aren't all cars in the shop regularly for this reliability nightmare? How does CR handle this issue?
Ahem, oil changes require trips to the service center. Cough cough

OK, so at what point does Tesla go after this stuff...in court. That's really the only way its going to stop. I understand they have bigger fish to fry at this point but there is no question, as you point out, that the dissemination of this data was slanderous and had a LARGE negative impact on the stock giving the shorts "inside trade" information.

I am all for turning the other cheek and just focusing on what you can control but, as in other aspects of life, the bully only stops his behavior when the victim fights back. Until their are significant financial and legal consequences that are understood, this type of activity will just continue to be the norm. Tesla is guilty until proven innocent...costing them a sh** ton of money, time and resources just to maintain their good name.

Dan
Could investors/shareholders sue CR?

Seeing more FUD articles out there just by doing a google search for tsla.
Not clicking on the negative links. Just on the positive. Reward the positives and not the negatives.

This one stands out as positive - First Tesla Model 3s Zoom Into China, Outracing Tariff Threat
More higher ASP model 3 shipments to China and Europe ahead of schedule means more $$$ coming in for Tesla's Q1.
Bodes well for Q1 profits.
China trade deal should help a lot.

Tesla should just pay the march convertibles and be done with it.

TSLA stock chart looks like a falling wedge on the daily.
Looking forward to a breakout on the upside next week.

Could investors/shareholders sue CR?
I think the real problem is that Tesla does have a few growing pains and quality issues. Look I love my Roadster and the Model 3. Combined I have 68,000 miles. BUT I have had more issues and service calls (5) than for any other car. Tesla did a great job serving and I am pleased but our Volt has been more reliable. Most cars today gave great quality Tesla is only good at the moment. Not surprising as they are pushing so many boundaries at once.

Only problem I've had with 3 is unlocking, once in a while (the infamous phone unlocking). Its a minor irritant - obviously not been to the shop for this.

My second Leaf was in the shop couple of times because of battery issues - totally for over a month.

My first Leaf & Volt were never in the shop. But I had to take the Leaf in for a software update.

I think the real problem is that Tesla does have a few growing pains and quality issues. Look I love my Roadster and the Model 3. Combined I have 68,000 miles. BUT I have had more issues and service calls (5) than for any other car. Tesla did a great job serving and I am pleased but our Volt has been more reliable. Most cars today gave great quality Tesla is only good at the moment. Not surprising as they are pushing so many boundaries at once.
Just curious, is your roadster the same car seen here...?

full

CBS News Technology Analyst Larry Magid speaks with Consumer Reports Auto editor Patrick Olsen on why the magazine pulled its coveted "Recommended" rating from the Tesla Model 3

Consumer Reports Auto editor Patrick Olsen on why Tesla Model 3 lost the "Recommended" rating

My commentary notes:

Consumer Reports did not do a sufficient job justifying their "Not Recommended" rating.

The interviewer is great. Owns a Tesla Model 3 and is very knowledgeable about his car and how Tesla's "work."

Interviewer asked very reasonable questions that made sense. How can such a well regarded car not be recommended. CR response was not sufficient.

Consumer reports is going to wait ONE MORE YEAR to verify that Tesla fixed the issues. The owners were surveyed in Summer of 2018.

The data collection period. I get it, all manufacturers said they fixed stuff, but Tesla is the only one that doesn't operate with model years. Also the gap between the survey period and the publishing of the result is way too big. Their data points were probably from the first 10-20k of a brand new model, whereas the car has sold in 10x as many copes by now.

this is the "annual" report, CR only updates their ratings once per year AFAICS

This is a core issue, IMO. Tesla doesn't think in terms of model years, while the legacy industry is tied to them in deep ways. This applies not just to design and manufacturing, but also government regulation and media coverage. Here we see that CR is used to thinking in terms of model years, which feeds into how they think about gathering and releasing customer survey data.

A startup with decent tech and any kind of business model could disrupt the media side of this, forcing CR to change or die. But there probably isn't enough money in it.

Oh well. Here's a parting gift:

Consumer Reports auto testing and reliability: Top six myths busted

It is true that there is a bias here at Consumer Reports. We are biased in favor of safe, reliable, fuel-efficient vehicles that are enjoyable to drive. To us, it doesn’t matter one bit if the car is from a domestic manufacturer or a foreign one, or if it is built in North America or South Korea. The tests are the same for all vehicles, and the results speak for themselves.

The Autoline YouTube channel has had some good info on Tesla technology in the past with Sandy Munro. This is a change in that they talk to a competitor to Tesla in the form of Borg Warner who are making drive units for competitors. There is some very very basic tech covered such as the difference between DC and AC. And there is a lightly touched concept of hot rodding EVs and how that would be done in the race world.

They cover the recurring issue of why EVs do not have a 2 speed transmission. They discuss inverters and their relationship to motors with a bit of discussion of Rivian's 4 WD 4 motor idea. There is a little discussion of regen and thermal management and some on batteries.

I found it interesting that the Borg Warner engineer is a bit wobbly on Tesla's use of the Halbach Array of magnets. They are not sure what is the benefit it seems, but they are aware there is something going on there.

TL;DV In the end, it is good that some subcontractors are intending to produce some competing tech because we need a lot of EVs pretty soon. On the other hand, I think they have a bit of a road to travel to catch up or really push Tesla but they understand there is going to be a market for some products they could supply.

Options Expiration - Options Don't Expire on Fridays | InvestorPlace

"If you’re short ATM or near-money options and don’t cover, you’re at the mercy of the system. Ninety-nine times out of 100, nothing will happen, but always keep in mind that the risk extends past the regular 4 p.m. close."
I once was assigned a put option (years ago, not TSLA) that I sold even though the Friday close before expiration had it over $1 out of the money. Since it was cash covered and I sold the put with the intent of acquiring the stock it didn't bother me but it was surprising. The following Monday it did open gap down a couple of dollars so I'm pretty sure whoever exercised it learned something in advance between the Friday close and the Saturday expiration since they made money (vs holding through Monday) when all appearances suggested they were losing money by exercising instead of just selling at the market price on Friday. It's been a long time but I don't think there was after hours trading back when this happened.

I image that if some huge news event were to happen Saturday morning on the day of expiration that market makers, brokers and/or clearing parties would find a way to exercise some of the options that were OTM on Friday from owners who gave no instructions to exercise and just keep the profits as if they wrote the option.

Last edited: