Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Loo
Those crazy shorts still aren't covering? And more are going in? Yikes. Longs are playing with house money, being greedy on the short side seems really stupid right now.

Perhaps hoping to cause a panic. Doing that after market means that it is not possible for most to quickly sell.
Great news. There is an increase in local transmission in other countries over the last few days - hopefully slowing the export of Chinese cases will happen before local transmission reaches critical mass so as to be self-sustaining.
ppl ppl
Hell, I'd just like to be able to cross central US east-west using I-40. Easy fix with a single SC near Ft. Smith Arkansas.
amen!

Take me to school on something regarding Tesla production. Does the factory produce cars for multiple markets at the same time or is it limited to for example, European versions for awhile, then Canadian, then American, then British etc. It just seems “the wave” is ongoing. Very few cars available in North America now as they build for Europe, very few cars available in Europe because they haven’t arrived yet etc. Just wondering if this timing has the making of a “tough” first quarter as Elon predicted. I would imagine the German factory will help this a lot as should the Chinese factory.

Thoughts. ???
Tesla always produces in batches. That's the most efficient way. So cars for overseas are produced first and cars for North America are produced last (each quarter). Note that this even applies to options. Cars configured each specific way (tires, interior, paint, motors, etc.) are all produced in a batch. (This is based on reading the delivery topics--particularly when a new model is produced and all the complaints about how I ordered before he did but he got his car first).

Last edited:
Note that this was written by Eva Fox of Tesmanian, and Tesmanian is run by Vincent Yu who is founding member of the Third Row Tesla podcast who recently interviewed Elon.

With that in mind, I think we should give this Tesmanian leak from "sources familiar with the matter" some credence:

"From a source familiar with this issue, it became known that the new Tesla battery will have at least 30% more capacity and will be several times cheaper to manufacture. The production process will be extremely efficient and will significantly save on capital costs for equipment. In this scenario, a 130kWh pack seems possible. It also became known that the new cell will have a diameter of approximately 1.57 inches. The new battery will have a different form factor, so most likely it will be used for Semi and/or Cybertruck."

"That is, in such battery cells there is more power, more energy storage, it has a higher charging speed and faster manufacturing speed, as well as much cheaper production."

"Maxwell has been working on this technology for more than 6 years, trying to improve it, perhaps this is what Musk talking about 'It's gonna blow your mind.'"
While a 30% increase in energy density is fantastic in itself and a game changer, "several times cheaper to manufacture" is the really big disclosure IMO, which would be incredible news - if true then Tesla will dominate not just personal vehicles, but also:
  • Heavy duty trucks (Tesla Semi)
  • Energy storage
  • Mass transportation (buses need big batteries)
  • Maybe even shipping: <$30/kWh battery costs makes EV freight ocean shipping a no-brainer: big ships would require 200-500 MWh packs - but EV shipping could also shorten transportation time, which would monopolize the medium time-critical cargo business. China->EU shipping time from 4 weeks to 2 weeks, US-EU shipping cut from 20 days to 10 days perhaps? If I was a country with cheap electricity and a healthy maritime transportation industry (Norway...) I'd be watching this space very closely.
TSLA = $4,200 secured? :D
If the numbers are even half as good as the source claims then $4200 will be low. By just halving the cost of the batteries Tesla would go to five digits in 3 years...or less. The only thing that would make it take that long is how soon could investors actually believe it.

Read Regulation SHO under Rule 204 – Close-out Requirement. Penalties for Broker Fails to Deliver:

If the position is not closed out, the broker or dealer and any broker or dealer for which it clears transactions (for example, an introducing broker)[9] may not effect further short sales in that security without borrowing or entering into a bona fide agreement to borrow the security (known as the “pre-borrowing” requirement) until the broker or dealer purchases shares to close out the position and the purchase clears and settles.​

Key Points About Regulation SHO
It's got to be some surreal, synchronistic twist of fate that, two days after the most blatant, manipulative use of the Madoff Exemption that I've ever seen, the eponymous author of the market maker exemption is asking for early release from his (what was it) 150 year sentence. As it is said, "you can't make this stuff up". It is probably unlikely that his plea is granted and it would be impossible for him to fully atone for his crimes, but he could write an unbelievable ending to his saga and to the two decades of financial crimes by brokers and hedge funds abetted by his market maker exemption AND the removal of the uptick rule in 2007, an action that I'm quite sure he had a hand in.

Bernie Madoff, IMO, is the single person who has the ability (information) to put an end to the illegal shenanigans that now characterize our markets. I recall an interview with Madoff, a few years into his sentence where he described the origin of his exemption. I think it was some sort of meeting with the SEC board and brokers. (At the time, it is my understanding that Madoff was being considered as the next chairman of the SEC). Madoff proposed the exemption, ostensibly, in order to give market makers a tool to maintain fair, orderly and liquid markets. His comment to the board at the time was something like: "let's give it a try. If it doesn't work, we can always go back to what we have now". During this interview, he admitted that his biggest regret was that after using this exemption himself (shorting without borrowing), he realized that he could just stay short, never delivering shares, i.e., permanent FTDs. That's what he did. Regarding the removal of the uptick rule, there is no particular source that I am aware of that describes Madoff being involved in the process. However, given his stature in the industry and his cozy relationship with the SEC, I am sure he could/would have interesting things to say about how the uptick removal was shoe-horned into the regs.

Interesting times. Onward.

Energy storage
  • Maybe even shipping: <$30/kWh battery costs makes EV freight ocean shipping a no-brainer: big ships would require 200-500 MWh packs - but EV shipping could also shorten transportation time, which would monopolize the medium time-critical cargo business. China->EU shipping time from 4 weeks to 2 weeks, US-EU shipping cut from 20 days to 10 days perhaps? If I was a country with cheap electricity and a healthy maritime transportation industry (Norway...) I'd be watching this space very closely.
Do you mean Electric Shipping Ships? Aka Boats?

• Funny
Reactions: Lessmog
OT

I don’t usually comment people’s appearance and I won’t stretch to say he was good looking back then.
But it’s amazing how a few years of shorting TSLA makes a difference comparing to how he looks now.

They say when you are 20 you are not how you looks, but when you are 40, your face will show your heart.
In deed... in deed...
I taught health and guided adults. Simplistically but true....
"People are born beautiful, That is why the young are so often attractive. However the more bad things you do the less attractive you remain."

That's quite an amazing difference. A 10k+ TEU ship would spent roughly 250% more on fuel to only increase speeds by(25/17) 47%. The industry does sound ripe for electric disruption.
Short distance ferries are ripe but not long distance bunker fuel container shops. They use ultra cheap fuel in insane quantities. The cost of a battery to fuel the trip would be so high it would not pay back. But with these new price decreases, diesel trains could be doomed, and 200 mile or less ships would be a good target. With trains you do get some benefit from brake regen as well.

Tesla always produces in batches. That's the most efficient way. So cars for overseas are produced first and cars for North America are produced last (each quarter). Note that this even applies to options. Cars configured each specific way (tires, interior, paint, motors, etc.) are all produced in a batch. (This is based on reading the delivery topics--particularly when a new model is produced and all the complaints about how I ordered before he did but he got his car first).
\

Yah. makes sense. My concern is that the inventory draw down depleted any carry over into the first quarter and we could see yet another crazy rush to get cars in customers hands the second half of the quarter. Its hard to get info but I get the impression that very few cars have been delivered so far this quarter due to logistics etc. I suspect a big rush is coming...again.

\

Yah. makes sense. My concern is that the inventory draw down depleted any carry over into the first quarter and we could see yet another crazy rush to get cars in customers hands the second half of the quarter. Its hard to get info but I get the impression that very few cars have been delivered so far this quarter due to logistics etc. I suspect a big rush is coming...again.
Because of the importance placed on the silly quarterly financials, there will always be a rush at the end of the quarter. When GF3 and GF4 are both producing, the rush will be less, but it will still be there. Financials always look better when every product made is sold in that quarter.

• Helpful
Reactions: CorneliusXX
Tesla Next-Gen Battery With Maxwell Tech & Patents

The implications are the new cells might be 40mm diameter by perhaps 70mm long, with an energy density of 320Wh/kg, and a price well under $100/kWh. Of course, it may all be BS.

There was no mention of the cell length in the article, only the diameter. Perhaps the cells are longer if they're intended for mainly the Semi and CyberTruck. Tesla's recent patent shows modules with cells perpendicular to planar surfaces, so it's difficult to see how the cells could be longer than, say, 80mm and still fit in M3, MS, and MX. At even 70mm length, this is a huge increase in energy per cell, essentially a factor of almost 5, to perhaps 85Wh per cell instead of the 18Wh of current 2170s, so packs would have almost 80 percent fewer (but larger) cells for a given energy. Tesla and Musk have previously criticized large-cell packs because the increased energy in a single shorted cell made fire containment harder, so they must be comfortable they haven't gone too large with these cells.

Battery Day has already blown my mind if any of this is true. The immediate promise is large decreases in cost of both cells and battery packs (higher auto margins or much more volume at lower car retail prices) as well as the potential for ranges in top-line Tesla models to increase by 30 percent. But as previously mentioned, announced Semi and CyberTruck prices have had something like this built-in since the announcements.

Reactions: AZRI11 and ABCTG
Note that this was written by Eva Fox of Tesmanian, and Tesmanian is run by Vincent Yu who is founding member of the Third Row Tesla podcast who recently interviewed Elon.

With that in mind, I think we should give this Tesmanian leak from "sources familiar with the matter" some credence:

"From a source familiar with this issue, it became known that the new Tesla battery will have at least 30% more capacity and will be several times cheaper to manufacture. The production process will be extremely efficient and will significantly save on capital costs for equipment. In this scenario, a 130kWh pack seems possible. It also became known that the new cell will have a diameter of approximately 1.57 inches. The new battery will have a different form factor, so most likely it will be used for Semi and/or Cybertruck."

"That is, in such battery cells there is more power, more energy storage, it has a higher charging speed and faster manufacturing speed, as well as much cheaper production."

"Maxwell has been working on this technology for more than 6 years, trying to improve it, perhaps this is what Musk talking about 'It's gonna blow your mind.'"
While a 30% increase in energy density is fantastic in itself and a game changer, "several times cheaper to manufacture" is the really big disclosure IMO, which would be incredible news - if true then Tesla will dominate not just personal vehicles, but also:
  • Heavy duty trucks (Tesla Semi)
  • Energy storage
If there is really is a cheaper battery with improved storage, then home installation grid independent would be a reality-- solar would then make more sense, and could probably exit the grid, using only utility for backup, emergency...

Short distance ferries are ripe but not long distance bunker fuel container shops. They use ultra cheap fuel in insane quantities. The cost of a battery to fuel the trip would be so high it would not pay back. But with these new price decreases, diesel trains could be doomed, and 200 mile or less ships would be a good target. With trains you do get some benefit from brake regen as well.

Only a question of time until batteries get cheap enough to be used on long distance container ships.
And totally necessary as well, these things are extremely bad a lot of reasons, many of which (not all) can get solved with electrification:
Wikipeda: Environmental impact of shipping

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: colettimj
While skillfully executed, I have to imagine that the attempt to stop Tesla's rally by the naked short selling of 2M shares was an act of desperation. As it turned out, the 3 following days of intense trading provided ample opportunity to cover (at a profit no less), but the manipulator(s) could not be sure of this and had to take the risk of having difficulty to cover.

No one likes to be robbed of their money. And having seen Oracle's licensing terms, I could very well imagine that especially Larry Ellison felt this was too much and that he will try to use his influence to see that this will at least not happen again. How exactly that is supposed to happen is beyond me, but as more influential people get screwed over by market makers manipulating the Tesla SP, I have to imagine that something will happen.

In reality it should be trivial for the SEC to both learn who dumped the 2M shares - and who at the same time had that headline appear momentarily on Marketwatch - and who the following morning dumped shares on that small, German exchange.
The points you raise contribute to my suspicion that there is nothing illegal going on here.

The scale of the alleged illegal manipulation is so vast that it could only be done by a major institution subject to constant scrutiny. And there’s no way to hide it: it couldn’t be more obvious and noteworthy.

So it can’t be that the SEC doesn’t notice, so then what, the SEC is in cohoots with this miscreant institution?

This is what usually happens to conspiracy theories: as they are subjected to questioning, they need to involve ever greater levels of conspiracy to hold together.

Soon, it’s an international cabal to defraud us longs out of our rightful winnings in the market.

Except that in the last 6 months this cabal has been remarkably inept, letting us have enough scraps to now be able to buy private islands.

Bunker fuel is not so cheap anymore since the ban on high sulfur bunker fuel went into effect January this year: