Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A bigger question would be what happens to Toyota. Now they are worth talking about, massive compared to VW or GM or other traditional companies. The bedrock of the Japanese quest for engineering excellence. A Toyota will outlast virtually any VW product and is a much much better bang for the buck. Toyota had the lead on environmental efficiency and let it slip right away. Why?
Unless Toyota has some secret skunk works, I don't see them creating an electric car. They have always disliked electric cars with a passion. When the made the RAV4-EV, they derided it internally as the "battery carrier", even though it was pretty good and the people who purchased one really liked it. My thought is that they will keep pushing hydrogen until it's way too late for them. I actually hope they surprise me because they're really the only legacy car manufacturer that has the resources to make the transition. And real competition always helps the consumer. However, they also have massive bureaucracy and the upper levels are removed from reality. There is also an inability to admit mistakes.

Finally, both the "Bad Boys" Porsche infomercial movie and the Super Bowl ad suggest that Porsche needs to generate new demand for the Taycan in the U.S.

Those commercials are not hard selling the Taycan.

It is the featured car among many models and there is only one line about the vehicle.

This is a brand building commercial.

"Porsche is a fun ,leading edge, and also historic brand " is the message.

I don't know why people on this forum keep giving VW undue credit. It is not a good company. Period. They are bad actors that have continually tried to do everything they can to fulfill their mission of employing Germans at all costs to any all others. The roots of the company were horrible, it did not change much for the better post WWII (only reason it survived was conflict with USSR), it bribes people all over the world and until a few years ago wrote that off on tax's, if you think Diesel gate was an aberration... I have a bridge to sell you connecting San Francisco to points north. Needs a bit of paint so I am selling cheap.

So Diess does not have his head up his ass completely- so what. If there is one automaker in the world that I'd like to see bankrupt in 10 years it would be VW. Good riddance.

A bigger question would be what happens to Toyota. Now they are worth talking about, massive compared to VW or GM or other traditional companies. The bedrock of the Japanese quest for engineering excellence. A Toyota will outlast virtually any VW product and is a much much better bang for the buck. Toyota had the lead on environmental efficiency and let it slip right away. Why? For Toyota investing a few billion in cash flow is like a wart on my finger, dont really notice it anymore.

In summary..hope VW is the next Nokia and that Diess just walks away in a couple of years.

Seriously, why are some here obsessed with VW?
Because of all OEM's outside China they appear to be most likely to provide the EV's the world needs along with Tesla, and their leader is trying to make it happen.

Unless Toyota has some secret skunk works, I don't see them creating an electric car. They have always disliked electric cars with a passion. When the made the RAV4-EV, they derided it internally as the "battery carrier", even though it was pretty good and the people who purchased one really liked it. My thought is that they will keep pushing hydrogen until it's way too late for them. I actually hope they surprise me because they're really the only legacy car manufacturer that has the resources to make the transition. And real competition always helps the consumer. However, they also have massive bureaucracy and the upper levels are removed from reality. There is also an inability to admit mistakes.
Toyota is all of that. And I agree, if any company could make the transition..Toyota should be the one to pull it off. However, they do seem to have dismissed any thought of it. In 10 years..too late even for toyota.

But @verygreen has shown that HW3 works with MCU1 without any special hardware or software...

That is good news, but is @verygreen referring to upgrades to HW3 performed by Tesla on an MCU1 FSD vehicle? Or some upgrade performed by an owner?

I am focused specifically on Tesla Service Center “free” upgrades to HW3 for FSD customers, when the FSD customer has MCU1.

Is there any evidence that this has been done successfully as part of the FSD program?

Because of all OEM's outside China they appear to be most likely to provide the EV's the world needs along with Tesla, and their leader is trying to make it happen.
Oh for goodness sakes...please.. stop with with the VW praise. BMW was there years ahead. GM and Toyota too. We have no idea how certain VW is to hold a path. Once they start failing....who knows. Once they fire 50k workers... we'll see. Until then their effort is pathetic. The porsche toycan is a terrible product. The audi etron a joke, the latest car...sitting in lots waiting for updates that can't be sent ota. Call me not impressed.

The comments from the VW managers on software are quite a...lark.

Hope they fail first.

Rudy Pal Lev Parnas Releases Audio of Trump Calling for Ukraine Ambassador’s Firing

From about 56 min they talk about EVs/auto industry... worth listening.

OMG WOW... “Tesla is done”, “All the manufacturers have caught up”, “Natural gas vehicles are the future”, “Everyone likes gasoline engines, big engines”
This is disgusting, these people are absolutely clueless and there’s definitely no industry bias here...

Completely agree, everyone must listen from 56 minutes on, great find.

Last edited:
Maybe someone with a better knowledge of how dealers work can confirm (or the opposite),
but someone on Twitter says that of 130 Taycan's delivered in the USA, a 124 are sitting at dealers:
Dealer of Happiness on Twitter

upload_2020-1-25_17-35-58.png

He references ads on cars.com

There are currently 123 ads posted by Porsche dealers for the Taycan.

They ask that you inquire about availability.

Special offers I looked are standard financing rates,the Federal and California credits.

I don't see any dealer discounting.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: 2virgule5 and AlMc
Are you compareling me to Anton? o_O
I'm not criticizing their sales, I'm asking if conquest % is significant when the total volume is so small.

Referencing 2019 sales when 2019 sales happened only during the last few weeks of 2019 is Antonian.

The original Porsche executive quoting 50% conquest was customers who put down a $2500 deposit as opposed to the much greater number of people that made inquiries. This was before first deliveries.

The Wuhan Virus: How to Stay Safe

“the entire mainland could go on lockdown soon...The Chinese government will take very drastic actions over the next few weeks, and this will be a time of hardship for the Chinese people.”

If we get to this place, it’s impossible to see how Giga3 ramps up no matter the customer demand from people wanting to avoid public transport. And more generally, it’s very bad news indeed for global macro environment. This is without getting on to the “hyperbolic” discussion of what else it might mean, which seems to upset some people here.

I don't know how you ramp factory production if your workers are on lockdown and thus can't get to the factory. It has the potential to drive demand but also the potential to push down ability to supply in China. Right now there is very little information and it is easy to predict doomsday scenarios. I think it's too foggy to come to any drastic conclusions yet. But certainly something to watch over the next several weeks.

OMG WOW... “Tesla is done”, “All the manufacturers have caught up”, “Natural gas vehicles are the future”, “Everyone likes gasoline engines, big engines”
This is disgusting, these people are absolutely clueless and there’s definitely no industry bias here...

April 2018. Worst time for Tesla in a few years.

Sickening listening to such uniformed people discussing technology they have no clue about. And these are our "leaders".

Replying here, so people can make sure to listen to this. Again an amazing find...

They are using Russian talking points, in regards to natural gas powered automobiles. Russia Looks to Mobile Refuelling to Support Growing NGV Market | NGV Global Vladimir Putin open to Tesla, prefers natural gas though