Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We just got confirmation that the virus has spread to several major cities. Shenzheng, beijin, hong kong. And that it has mutated to become contagious. Means of transmission still unknow

Most likely case is Gov is suppressing the info but WHO, calls their so they are forced to release updated info. Still likely to be a few days delayed.

Some expert's model estimate (forgot who) says that 1200 ppl should be infected by now vs the official numbers.

Stay safe those of you flying.

This is spreading faster than we thought. (or just due to suppressed information) Japan, south korea, Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam and Myanmar all have reported cases.

Expert estimates 3000 cases based on models. It is probably beyond the medical staff's ability to track everyone who interacted with them. Has the potential to explode when the great migration of Chinese new year happens as Wuhan is a pretty major travel hub with a rail line and long river traffic.

Current analysis of the virus dna suggest it comes from bats. Origin suspect is bat meat sold in a traditional market.

Viral transmission amongst human becoming more effective after each generation. Human to human transmission is all but confirmed now that 18 medical staff already got infected.

Chinese gov is doing exactly what they did last time with sars. Play by play. Expect information suppression and do-nothing approach so as to not cause panic during Chinese New Year.

I've sent an inquiry to NHTSA:

To whom it may concern:

It's recently come to my attention that you are currently accepting petitions from Tesla short sellers to investigate Tesla defects. My understanding is that you are required by law to review and evaluate every petition, that these petitions are made public, and that the media will be made aware of them. Please confirm, as my time is valuable and I don't want to waste it if I'm not going to get any benefit from my efforts.

Regards,
Mike Smith

This is spreading faster than we thought. (or just due to suppressed information) Japan, south korea, Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam and Myanmar all have reported cases.

Expert estimates 3000 cases based on models. It is probably beyond the medical staff's ability to track everyone who interacted with them. Has the potential to explode when the great migration of Chinese new year happens as Wuhan is a pretty major travel hub with a rail line and long river traffic.

Current analysis of the virus dna suggest it comes from bats. Origin suspect is bat meat sold in a traditional market.

Viral transmission amongst human becoming more effective after each generation. Human to human transmission is all but confirmed now that 18 medical staff already got infected.

Chinese gov is doing exactly what they did last time with sars. Play by play. Expect information suppression and do-nothing approach so as to not cause panic during Chinese New Year.

Maybe I'll head to Karen's shindig on Iceland after all...

EDIT: Apparently the US NIH is already working on a vaccine, which is remarkable. Could be available in about a year. There's a quote in the article stating that coronaviruses are easier to develop vaccines for than other viruses.

Vaccine for new Chinese coronavirus in the works - CNN

Last edited:

Back in the early 2000s the SARS epidemic broke out in China, after a few months the virus was contained and everyone was happy. Please keep us posted on this news, I think it’ll turn out to be just like the SARS scare.

And of course this comes out the night after I watched the Person of Interest episode where Samaritan mixed 2 terrible flus in order to make everyone take the vaccine from which they obtained everyone's DNA. Man, am I getting paranoid or what?

• Funny
Reactions: Krugerrand

To whom it may concern:

It's recently come to my attention that you are currently accepting petitions from Tesla short sellers to investigate Tesla defects. My understanding is that you are required by law to review and evaluate every petition, that these petitions are made public, and that the media will be made aware of them. Please confirm, as my time is valuable and I don't want to waste it if I'm not going to get any benefit from my efforts.

Regards,
Mike Smith

o_O I don't understand that at all. o_O

I do think that NHTSA might have to change procedures some. Like I suspect that they notified the petitioner on Monday when they started "investigating" his petition. That would allow him time to setup a position before spreading the information to the main stream media.

In this case Brian Sparks submitted the original request on 9/30/2019, and then submitted an addendum on 12/19/2019. So he probably wouldn't have setup his position in October, but it seems likely that he received "advanced" notice of the status of his petition. (Especially knowing that NHTSA is required to "investigate" every petition.)

I don't know the solution to this problem, they have a job to do, but it is likely they are going to get manipulated more going forward. (Unless maybe Tesla does as well as we are hoping and can put the shorts out of their misery...)

Last edited:

To whom it may concern:

Regards,
Mike Smith

Mike just a suggestion ask them to notify the SEC if it appears that third parties unrelated to victims/owners may be filing baseless petitions.

I do think that NHTSA might have to change procedures some. Like I suspect that they notified the petitioner on Monday when they started "investigating" his petition. That would allow him time to setup a position before spreading the information to the main stream media.

In this case Brian Sparks submitted the original request on 9/30/2019, and then submitted an addendum on 12/19/2019. So he probably wouldn't have setup his position in October, but it seems likely that he received "advanced" notice of the status of his petition. (Especially knowing that NHTSA is required to "investigate" every petition.)

I don't know the solution to this problem, they have a job to do, but it is likely they are going to get manipulated more going forward. (Unless maybe Tesla does as well as we are hoping and can put the shorts out of their misery...)

Short selling just needs to be banned. It causes all sorts of incentives for bad actions that lawmakers and regulators never thought of. It's insane that it's allowed.

The DMCA (Digital Millenium Copyright Act) has provisions allowing actions against frivolous DMCA requests.

It would probably help if frivolous NHTSA filings also had consequences for the submitter.

In that case, I find it curious that Bjørn did not have that info readily available in the car! I think he used to be into programming before he went all out roadie :) and it certainly seems all e-trons should have this pre-programmed in the car (updated OTA, of course ;) )

To my limited knowledge, no car navigation system is integrated with Ionity.

So while navigating towards a Ionity site a driver would not be able to see the charger status as part of that.

Instead you would need a web-browser or likely more commonly, the Ionity app (but I have never used it) to see the charger status.

But if you did not consider the risk that the site would be full or offline, you would only open the app (or browser) once you were parked at a stall, to initiate the charging session from it.

Tesla drivers may not realize how far ahead the Supercharger technology is, but Ionity does not yet have the capability to associate a given car with a given Ionity account, so you can't just plug your car into a Ionity stall and have it start charging just with that.

How do you guys think I should play all this sars information with regard to my Tesla investments?

Bioweapon defense mode might prevent transmission within family member. But I am just talking out my behind.

But if memory serves correctly, it has a chilling effect in the market due to a large impact on travel. 3m n95 masks sale will go up.

If your city is one of those designated Chinese immigrant city, you will be quaranteened for about 14 days wherever you go.

• Love
Reactions: Rashomon