Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ROTFL

Got another angle from a video. The black bumpers cars are Model Y, you can clearly see the line of the modified final hatch.
Definetly the Phase 1 can stamp/build both 3 and Y.

View attachment 487051

Who disagree is right, the doors are of the Model 3.

But.

The silver and the white in the center doesn't look the same to me.

tesla proto 3 zoom.jpg

While being an inefficient (and expensive) BEV, the Taycan can still take away Porsche ICE sales, such as the Panamera.

Agreed. It will be an excellent car and convert a lot of Porsche nuts from gas hogs to EVs.

But it’s another nail in the coffin of “as soon as the Germans show up they’ll show everyone who’s boss.”

All these factors are founded on Tesla's early analysis of what is actually needed for EV mobility. I wonder how legacy automakers who are not as well grounded in this way of thinking will perform with their charging infrastructure.

Not only that but they will have to cater for a great variety of cars with short and long range and fast and slow charging.

In Norway not all thirsty-but-fast-charging Audi e-Trons are happy to wait while a slow charging e-Golf or Leaf is using the charger and only using a fraction of it's capacity.

Taycan EPA range is out and...yikes.

View attachment 487066

I wish I knew where I saw it so I could reference for full embarrassment, but I recently saw a claim that the Taycan would take ~10% (and definitely no more than 20%!) hit going from the gamed WLTP to (at least more realistic) EPA. But 310 WLTP to 201 EPA? Maybe Porsche shouldn't have been doing so much laughing.

Porsche Taycan specs confirmed: 600-plus hp, 310-mile range
Porsche Taycan Laughs In The Face Of Range Anxiety, Travels 2,128 Miles In 24 Hours | Carscoops

[edit: okay, I'm seeing that was 2018 for the 310 target. But this still indicated 200 to 240 miles which gave some hope above for it being something more than 200 2020 Porsche Taycan: 13 Things You Need to Know on Range, Pricing, Specs, and More - Motor Trend -- I"Performance-oriented and sporting tires as wide as 305s, the Taycan won't come close to a Tesla Model S' range, but it's still competitive." Or not. Next year you can get 54% of this year's Model S. Not even remotely competitive]

Taycan EPA range is out and...yikes.

View attachment 487066

I wish I knew where I saw it so I could reference for full embarrassment, but I recently saw a claim that the Taycan would take ~10% (and definitely no more than 20%!) hit going from the gamed WLTP to (at least more realistic) EPA. But 310 WLTP to 201 EPA? Maybe Porsche shouldn't have been doing so much laughing.

Porsche Taycan Laughs In The Face Of Range Anxiety, Travels 2,128 Miles In 24 Hours | Carscoops

[edit: okay, I'm seeing that was 2018 for the 310 target.]

Imagine if they came up 2 miles of range shorter and had to display 199:).

What will the be the range of the closer in price, but still more expensive 4S version, with the smaller pack?

Likely 179 miles or so?

Last edited:

[edit: okay, I'm seeing that was 2018 for the 310 target. But this still indicated 200 to 240 miles which gave some hope above for it being something more than 200 2020 Porsche Taycan: 13 Things You Need to Know on Range, Pricing, Specs, and More - Motor Trend -- I"Performance-oriented and sporting tires as wide as 305s, the Taycan won't come close to a Tesla Model S' range, but it's still competitive." Or not. Next year you can get 54% of this year's Model S. Not even remotely competitive]
Everyone knows that Porsches mostly live in the garage and are only driven on nice days. Fifty miles would probably be enough.

While being an inefficient (and expensive) BEV, the Taycan can still take away Porsche ICE sales, such as the Panamera.
As I predicted earlier, I feel the Taycan is going to help Tesla sell more model S/X. Let’s say 100 die hard Porsche fans look at the Taycan..... 90% will but it. But 10% will just be blown away by how much better the S is and get it instead. Also a few premium buyers who would normally buy the S were waiting to see if the Taycan was better. They will now revert to buying the S.

Surely this is some sort of error? I wonder how the 10,000 customers who placed 'binding orders' are going to feel about this?

Their Taycan will be parked in the garage next to the Macan and 911. Porsche people buy Porsches.

Model S customers jumping ship for better build quality might be second guessing the move but this is probably a small subset of Taycan intenders.

Reactions: sundaymorning
Their Taycan will be parked in the garage next to the Macan and 911. Porsche people buy Porsches.

Model S customers jumping ship for better build quality might be second guessing the move but this is probably a small subset of Taycan intenders.

Judging from Porsche’s poor battery specs, my bet is that their battery degradation will also be poor like Nissan. Wait till their customers get a $100k bill to replace their drained batteries.