Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To be fair, my local Supercharger is full maybe half the time I go to it (not including before 5 am.. but I've seen it full at 6 am!), and it's been like that since I took ownership last year. Wait time isn't usually longer than 10 minutes on a regular day. On the weekend, however, the wait can be even longer, depending on the length of the line. It's also in a parking lot that gets busy and there is no good way to form the line.

Not disagreeing that it's not "the #1 reason people don't buy Teslas" but I would not call the wait to charge situation "rare and extreme." It is standard procedure here, and therefore some owners might make the (incorrect) assumption that that's the case at every SC.

Wait! What is a local supercharger? My local charger is in my garage and the superchargers are for long trips. I will say that in over 6 years and 170k miles in both my S and 3, including numerous long road trips (3200 miles in October alone) I have only found 2 incidents of full superchargers. One was in Plantation FL where all the cars had FL plates and seemed to be in the mall but I only waited 5 minutes or so. The other was when we went to the first Falcon Heavy launch and afterwards the huge number of Spacex fans waited happily at the nearest supercharger to the north. One of my best memories was each of us talking about the launch and sharing the chargers

Wait! What is a local supercharger? My local charger is in my garage and the superchargers are for long trips. I will say that in over 6 years and 170k miles in both my S and 3, including numerous long road trips (3200 miles in October alone) I have only found 2 incidents of full superchargers. One was in Plantation FL where all the cars had FL plates and seemed to be in the mall but I only waited 5 minutes or so. The other was when we went to the first Falcon Heavy launch and afterwards the huge number of Spacex fans waited happily at the nearest supercharger to the north. One of my best memories was each of us talking about the launch and sharing the chargers
My local Supercharger = the Supercharger closest to me. FYI according to the app it is full right now (7:30 pm PST).

Funny thing, the place I charge is never full and never has a line. It's called my garage. Just sayin'.

You are talking edge cases. Do they happen?...yes. Are they a pain when they do?...yes. Are they the norm?...absolutely, unequivocally, not.

Dan

All of us here know this to be true.

Call it status quo bias or whatever you want but there are absolutely a large number of ICEv drivers that will not switch because of this.

Some never really considered switching they just want an excuse for their environmentally unfriendly lifestyle. For others it is a pain point they exaggerate in their minds to the point where they put of buying a BEV for now.

5 minutes per week doesn't seem as much as a pain as 30 minutes twice per year.

That reality is an issue for BEV adoption.

And all from some guy named ”Karenr Ei”. Hmm...guess that’s some kind of unusual Icelandic name...
My GPS shows both Naflaus and @KarenRei live under the same roof, so there may be a conflict of interest between Karen promoting Teslas on the radio, Naflaus reporting excessive sales, and Karen's garage running out of space.

I personally do not have range anxiety. My LR AWD has been anxiety-free for the full 22,000 miles I've driven in it so far.

Per my original post, however, the many, many prospective owners I have talked to about buying a Tesla have range anxiety. Happy to write more about how many people I've talked to, where I met them, and what their concerns were. Just let me know if that would be helpful to this discussion.

I'm sure it wasn't on purpose, but your word choice is needlessly combative. It also draws a damaging and potentially hurtful line between homeowners and non-homeowners ("people like you" "square block into a circle hole" "you guys picked your poison" "you guys can stop having range anxiety due to your circumstances is probably worst for climate change" "but instead we have to use the resources to build just 1 ev car just to modify the hole you want to fit that square in").

Othering non-homeowners and making them feel guilty because they are the wrong "shape" to own and operate an EV will not help us accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy any faster.

Not saying you guys should feel guilty. But it's like someone living in NYC complaining about owning a car. It's fair to have range anxiety every day if you can't charge at home. To complain about Tesla not having enough range or infrastructure just gets an eye roll because you picked this lifestyle going in. That's like complaining about a lack of parking spots in NYC.

Hmm, looks like it wasn't just one Canadian V3 station that opened this evening, but two

If North Bay and Sault Ste Marie are both open now, maybe the Tesla testing crew is travelling west along the TransCanada Highway from North Bay and firing up the superchargers as they go. If so, we can hope that Espanola and Blind River are also open.The V3 superchargers are apparently all built and just waiting for testing.

Reactions: humbaba
It's been posted, but the amount of material that would equal the dollars claimed would fill a couple of railroad cars, so there's some question about the facts.
It was this guy
D9D51F65-9513-4652-B65A-B5E47151E9C7.gif

The difference is you can easily go to Joe Schmoe across the street and pay ~$0.10 more per gallon and wait less than 5 minutes. Or sometimes not at all.

There is usually one gas station in a neighborhood that is ~$0.15 more per gallon than Costco and is never full.
Isn't that what Electrify America is doing? I'd only pay their high rates if I had no other choice. Luckily up to now I've never had to pay anything for charging. But that's how I got this rich. ;-)