Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you weren't able to attend the CT production line tour at Giga Texas on Nov 30, you're in luck! Hint: Watch this video! It's IMPORTANT!

Cybertruck Delivery Event Video PART 2 Detailed and Narrated Cybertruck Production Line! | Joe Tegtmeyer (2023-12-02)

Takeaways: (w. slides from video w. timestamps per filename)

View attachment 995921View attachment 995922View attachment 995923
  • Brian White (My Tesla Weekend on Youtube) is wrong about Tesla not having a factory where they can start building the Gen 3 car (a.k.a. Model 2, or Compact car, or $25K car) in the next yr
  • There is plenty of room left for another G.A. line in the S.E. section of Giga Texas (see slides above), and there have been no public tours of this area to date (so it's okay you missed it, Brian) ;)
  • Tesla themselves refer to both GA2 (the Cybertruck) and GA3 Lines (still secret at this point)
  • Notice the methods in common between CT production/assembly and the "unboxed" production process Tesla first described in March 2023:
    • no paint shop
    • BIW is assembly of flat 2-D panels
    • structural bty pack
    • 48v architecture w. POE
    • Steer-by-Wire/Brake-by-Wire
Will Model 2 also have 4-wheel steering? (it'd be great for city parking). Will it have 4680 batteries? (so many questions!) Tesla doesn't need 8 cell lines each producing 25GWh/yr just to feed CT -- that 200 GWh/yr is enough for Model 2 also, while sidesteping any potential IRA 'materials-sourcing' / 'foreign-entity-of-concern' issues / uncertainty. Using 4680s also adds additional IRA production benefits from using made-in-USA cells and packs (lowering COGS).

Overall, great video! Thanks for all you do, Joe Tegtmeyer!

Cheers!

P.S. if Model 2 has a 4680 structural pack (at least in one version), we musk also wonder if CT RWD might be offered in 2025 for ~$50K with a LFP structural pack? [Insert: 'thinker' meme] :D
No paint shop for the Model 2?

Reactions: Carl Raymond
No paint shop for the Model 2?

This is a complete WAG based on a single comment made by Tom Zhu back in March: "Paint is expensive":

"Zhu also said that Gigafactory Mexico will be the first Tesla factory to build the next-generation vehicle, as it was announced at Investor Day. From there Tesla will take their learnings and add the next-generation platform to their other Gigafactories. When asked if the next-generation vehicle will be painted or have stainless steel like the Cybertruck, Zhu smiled and said, “paint is expensive.”​

With Tesla needing 3-5 more gigafactories to build Gen 3, with high-end paint shops costing a billion USD, and with after-market wraps now a profit center for Tesla, I'd be shocked if Gen 3 uses conventional autopaint.

Cheers!

CAN is just an acronym for "Car Area Network", how they network is actually implemented, like your home LAN can be different, physical, wireless, then different technologies, etc., but it's still a LAN

Disagree. CAN stands for Controller Area Network and has its own standards. (Used to program PLC's that communicate with frequency controllers & I/O using CANbus)

It depends on your definition of once a year. We typically take one trip a year towing our camper. BUT that trip is typically 6+ weeks and 10,000 miles. So $800/week is more than we typically spend for camping, food, admissions, and gas. Basically by renting a truck you are more than doubling our costs.
I'm thinking the reverse: I have an early reservation. The price is steep for me - especially in Ontario, Canada where there are currently no applicable government incentives - I'm thinking of asking a few interested friends and family if they'd like to "buy in" to my Cybertruck. Say, $10,000 gets you 1 month use per year. That would be good for a big residence move for themselves or family, or an extended road trip like @dhrivnak .

I'm a member of several coops, so this shared purchase model comes to mind. I know several here will go "here's why I don't want to share my Cybertruck". I didn't say I'd prefer not owning it 100%. All I'm saying is, if sharing is what let's you afford the purchase (my 2018 M3 is still an awesome car, so I don't need a CT), then it can be worth the compromise, eh?
🤔

Last edited:
I'm thinking the reverse: I have an early reservation. The price is steep for me - especially in Ontario, Canada where there are currently no applicable government incentives - I'm thinking of asking a few interested friends and family if they'd like to "buy in" to my Cybertruck. Say, $10,000 gets you 1 month use per year. That would be good for a big residence move for themselves or family, or an extended road trip like @dhrivnak .

I'm a member of several coops, so this shared purchase model comes to mind. I know several here will go "here's why I don't want to share my Cybertruck". I didn't say I'd prefer not owning it 100%. All I'm saying is, if sharing is what let's you afford the purchase (my 2018 M3 is still an awesome car, so I don't need a CT), then it can be worth the compromise, eh?
🤔
I have two on order. Getting the second truck will depend on the opportunity I see as a Turo rental. I recommend you consider this approach. There is upside and downside to each but overall I think Turo is less messy for handling insurance & other expenses, and less risky to relationships. Maintaining 100% ownership makes life less complicated.

1:17:33
"you drive with the Tonneau down and lose 10% range sure that's exactly what I would do"
I'm keeping the tonneau down and taking off the mirrors if I can. This will help me not be such a boomer and learn to rely on technology. I fail at this in the Model Y. I'm still taping my foot to the pedal for single pedal driving.

1:17:33
"you drive with the Tonneau down and lose 10% range sure that's exactly what I would do"

Related thoughts folks should consider:

Range and aerodynamic considerations are very speed related. And EPA range calculations assume a mix of city and highway driving. (Side side note: which is why a lot of people think Teslas don't meet their EPA ratings...because Tesla's city driving efficiency is higher, and that is assumed to be 55% of the EPA's combined driving cycle).

In the real world, at low speeds, aero doesn't matter much at all. You don't need to worry much about drag in city driving or stop and go traffic...so stow the tonneau cover and even put a huge refrigerator in the bed...sure, your overall drag coefficient will be higher, but it won't matter if speeds are too low for drag to matter. I can almost guarantee that if your average speed is 30 mph, you won't notice a difference in efficiency or range with the tonneau up or down.

On the other hand, as speed increases, aero matters more. Drag forces scale with velocity squared, and I would wager that if you're cruising at a constant 85 mph, your efficiency and range will be more than 10% worse with the tonneau stowed compared to having the vault closed.

I wonder how they are doing trailer lights with the 48 volt system. Do they have a DC to DC converter for the trailer plug?

Does the truck have a built in brake controller?
And more importantly how will I hardwire my V1 radar detector?!?! 😂

Edit: nevermind. They have a power adapter that works with USB-A and USB-C. Party on!

CAN is just an acronym for "Car Area Network", how they network is actually implemented, like your home LAN can be different, physical, wireless, then different technologies, etc., but it's still a LAN
I had always thought CAN referred to CAN bus, which is a standardized automotive communications network that accessories plug into (and which people use with analyzers). I have never heard of anything called a Car Area Network. In fact if you search for “car area network” on Google, you will be pointed to articles talking about CAN bus. Which, by the way, is an acronym for Controller Area Network.

Last edited:
Disagree. CAN stands for Controller Area Network and has its own standards. (Used to program PLC's that communicate with frequency controllers & I/O using CANbus)
I don’t know whether this is what @Max Plaid meant - but CAN is a many to many network protocol that works in local areas (as in small areas), but with a different std than LAN.

• Disagree
Reactions: CyberShy
Surprised we are not seeing more videos of new owners with their CT’s.

Are they signing NDA’s?

Did deliveries stop after the event?

Did see a post on X from some guy Yesterday who got his. Posted a pic of his CT charging at a supercharger. Wasn't a YouTuber as far as I could say. Did not bookmark since I assumed there would be more. Got the phone call from Tesla just a few days before the event.

Edit: Tried to search for this post. But Google did not show me anything X. And on X I could not search for images with in a time period.

Last edited:
Reactions: Usain
Related thoughts folks should consider:

Range and aerodynamic considerations are very speed related. And EPA range calculations assume a mix of city and highway driving. (Side side note: which is why a lot of people think Teslas don't meet their EPA ratings...because Tesla's city driving efficiency is higher, and that is assumed to be 55% of the EPA's combined driving cycle).

In the real world, at low speeds, aero doesn't matter much at all. You don't need to worry much about drag in city driving or stop and go traffic...so stow the tonneau cover and even put a huge refrigerator in the bed...sure, your overall drag coefficient will be higher, but it won't matter if speeds are too low for drag to matter. I can almost guarantee that if your average speed is 30 mph, you won't notice a difference in efficiency or range with the tonneau up or down.

On the other hand, as speed increases, aero matters more. Drag forces scale with velocity squared, and I would wager that if you're cruising at a constant 85 mph, your efficiency and range will be more than 10% worse with the tonneau stowed compared to having the vault closed.
True, as speed increases, areo losses dominate over rolling losses. Still though, that 10% Cd increase scales such that worse case (all aero, no rolling), it's still a 10% energy increase/ 9% range loss. In reality, it asymptomatic approaches that shift as speed increases.

However, if they meant a 10% range/ efficiency hit, then the aero increase must be more than 10%.