Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Jim Chanos is salivating over Tesla's EU Model Y price cut.

Though I wonder if he is even short any signficant amount of money anymore.

Probably has something to do with local manufacturing coming online that will be subject to far lower tariffs and shipping costs…

But hey, I’m not a galaxy brain like Chanos, if I was I too could charge 2 & 20 to lose people’s money!

From the Barton’s article

Ferragu, for his part, drove a Berlin-made Tesla Model Y when he visited. “The most stunning moment of the day was probably the one I would have expected the least: opening and closing the door of the Model Y I test-drove,” wrote Ferragu. “I did it 20 times in a row and could not believe the quality of the experience.” He drives a Model Y at home.
Haha, boom!, like I said. luxury is literally defined by heavier and solid doors..lol.

Up until now, I’ve actually thought Powell has played things pretty much right. He didn’t let the extreme inflation fear mongering force him into drastic measures…..because the reality was those drastic measures weren’t needed.

But he’s losing touch now. What more do they need to see that inflation has not only peaked but we’re in a clear downtrend now. Only an idiot forces the economy into a recession just for the sake of it

Powell is doing a great job keeping all parties on their toes and staying the course.

I see today's comments as neutral, but I love the tough guy stance. My hope is that it translates to, "we'll slow when energy markets slow".

If we see WTI <85 in three weeks, I think we get a .50 hike for September. Any CPI/Inflation numbers obviously need to see continued improvement.

Jim Chanos is salivating over Tesla's EU Model Y price cut.

Though I wonder if he is even short any signficant amount of money anymore.

With very little production in Q2 (about 8,000 units), Berlin was already gross margin positive. That's insane !!!
As production grows and Berlin achieves economies of scale, margins continue to increase.
This allows Tesla to launch lower priced variants and still make margins above 30%.
Lower priced variants puts pressure on the competitors . . . .another nice move on the chess board.

Probably has something to do with local manufacturing coming online that will be subject to far lower tariffs and shipping costs…

But hey, I’m not a galaxy brain like Chanos, if I was I too could charge 2 & 20 to lose people’s money!
You mean it's not because of a 'demand problem?' Really thought Tesla is losing significant market share in all of Europe

/s

With very little production in Q2 (about 8,000 units), Berlin was already gross margin positive. That's insane !!!
As production grows and Berlin achieves economies of scale, margins continue to increase.
This allows Tesla to launch lower priced variants and still make margins above 30%.
Lower priced variants puts pressure on the competitors . . . .another nice move on the chess board.
Gross margin positive at 8k units...imagine 80k, 200k, 300k.....new printing machine ramping up fast!

Up until now, I’ve actually thought Powell has played things pretty much right. He didn’t let the extreme inflation fear mongering force him into drastic measures…..because the reality was those drastic measures weren’t needed.

But he’s losing touch now. What more do they need to see that inflation has not only peaked but we’re in a clear downtrend now. Only an idiot forces the economy into a recession just for the sake of it

I think he is being ambiguous and likely on purpose. Will hike rates to manage inflations ... doesn't say by how much. (0.5 or .75)
Also is it not implied that he will not raise rate if inflation goes down ...

Reactions: ZeApelido
Reactions: UltradoomY
Just sharing the link for this video as it is quite bullish for Tesla insurance. It’s the same experience I had… About a 50% savings; and more sensible coverages.

I don’t watch all this guys videos; but it’s a pretty neat family that tears apart various high-tech electronics in reverse engineer and test certain things.

I met this guy and his son at the model X unveil. When I told my son about it he forced me to watch all their videos; that was our introduction to Tesla and it’s been quite a journey.

They have 2 million subs; so that’s quite the audience!

(Edited for grammar)

Last edited:
I like this Georgetown prof on CNBC right now. He seems to think Fed goes to the higher end(4% terminal rate), but maybe at a slower pace starting with a .50 in Sept.

Then thinks it'll be a longer length of time at 4%. 6-12 months, leaning more toward 12 months.

To me that formula most precisely hits the population that needs to be weaned off this "free money" mentality.

I'm quite happy with the quality of how my made in Fremont 2021 Model Y LR doors close. :cool:
Likewise my 2018 model X75D and my 2022 Plaid X. Never any problems whatsoever with any of the doors in collectively 46,000 miles, and as a wheelchair guy, I have to open and close the driver's side falcon wing door quite often.

Uncle Elon, much thanks for my Faberge' Egg. I love it!

Edited - thanks to those reminding me it's a Faberge' egg.

... (what did he call them? "Oysters"? "Primo donnas"? chandeliers or something??)

Last edited: