Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, but why on earth have Tesla not created front and rear castings for the 3? It seems so counter to the spirit of roll out every incremental improvement anybody can think of. Could IDRA be production-limited or something?

Because it's expensive to change production lines. Once you have the line tooled up and running, it's all about keeping it running. It's a money printing machine and making major changes like that would require a major reset of so many things including all the crash testing that has been done.

I would think as soon as he held the charge handle in his hand he would realize that wasn't going to work.
I think you are missing that this was in Europe where every Supercharger stall has a CCS connector. (And V3 stalls only have a CCS connector.) So he could plug it in to his car without an adapter.

I think you must have witnessed some street theatre by someone wanting to watch the reaction of Tesla drivers and/or make the point that Tesla STILL hasn't opened their network up to non-Tesla. I would think as soon as he held the charge handle in his hand he would realize that wasn't going to work.

Kind of like the Tesla driver who pulled into a gas station and acted confused that there was no hole to put gasoline in.

No, this guy was really just incredibly uninformed and had no idea what he was doing. I didn't probe too deeply as it's impolite, but the whole interaction pointed towards the fact that he had just gotten the car, and spent zero time informing himself on what to do to use it.

Are there 372 days in the year, now? You don’t get a run rate by taking a month and multiplying by 12.

The more correct run rate is 492K.

(41754/31)*365

Sorry, Troy. But it’s still very nice. 😉
Shanghai was supposedly shutdown for four days due to chip shortages so the more correct runrate should be:
(41754/27)×365=564,452 runrate.

Do you have any way of appraising how comprehensive of updates this allows? My understanding was that the ID3 and ID4 would never have the ability to update ALL software over-the-air due to so many modules running isolated software that is not accessible by the system software.
And the delicious irony is that it will probably require a dealer service department visit to manually install an update to allow automatic updates (which I agree will probably be limited.... maybe infotainment!)

Troy's 41k number (and assuming 40k in September) sets the path to 220k deliveries as a baseline for q3 deliveries (the previous 44k would set that closer to 225k). S production from Fremont is the big question mark right now for Q3.

I think we are closer to 240k than 220k this quarter. I agree, the Model S deliveries this quarter will tip the scale either way:
1631714944522.png

I expect that Shanghai deliveries in Q3 will exceed production as they have been building inventory all year and also came into the year with inventory in transit.

Shanghai entered the year with 3,496 units in inventory and so far this year they have produced 7,447 more cars than delivered leaving them with 10.943 cars in inventory/transit. With the Q3 wave push that Elon encouraged in his recent email, I expect deliveries for Sep to exceed production in SGH as was the case in August. It will come down to logistics execution.

1631715561495.png

It was 8 contracts.

Yes, there’s the factor of significant taxes in this case for me.
You might want to check with your broker right away if you can buy back the stock and assign that tax lot the called shares. I am not sure of the rules, but there's a chance it might become a day trade.

That still might leave your with some wash sale complications. But that's probably better than the alternative.

If Mach-e that is built in Mexico by Mexican workers gets $12.5K rebate while Model Y that is built in California by American workers gets $8K rebate then clearly something is not right (ahem).
Don't forget the non-union Tesla employees are compensated far better than the few US-based union employees at Ford/GM who might be making EVs.

I'm confused. The Tesla owner saved the BMW driver from the exploding Tesla? That must be what happened.
NO! God MAN reeeeeeeead!
It clearly was a man in a BMW had road rage, got out of his car and climbed in the Tesla after the Tesla driver and exploded in rage. The Tesla driver dragged him out of the tesla, AND THEN the Tesla burst into flames... the video of the car in flames is a Model Y. It looks like a BMW because of the poor build quality, and the deformation of the inferior materials from the heat.

I think we are closer to 240k than 220k this quarter. I agree, the Model S deliveries this quarter will tip the scale either way:
View attachment 709553

I expect that Shanghai deliveries in Q3 will exceed production as they have been building inventory all year and also came into the year with inventory in transit.

Shanghai entered the year with 3,496 units in inventory and so far this year they have produced 7,447 more cars than delivered leaving them with 10.943 cars in inventory/transit. With the Q3 wave push that Elon encouraged in his recent email, I expect deliveries for Sep to exceed production in SGH as was the case in August. It will come down to logistics execution.

View attachment 709559

11,300 might be high for S&X. Doesn't look like any X deliveries yet. Based on my vin it looks like 5000+ is more realistic although there might be already produced vins previously that have been delivered. There are some still in containment hold for parts as well as refused deliveries. However, I hope I am wrong!

Just sold a my shares....we are doomed/s

They are doing it in only 3 US cities.
Phew... so we are safe here in Canada for now!

ps: I guess delivery service will be restricted to addresses that can be reached by straight-line roads from Walmart as the Ford self-driving system can't handle bends in the road ;)

Last edited: