Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
“Republican Senator Deb Fischer of Nebraska proposed prohibiting people making more than $100,000 a year from claiming EV tax credits and to end tax credits for EVs that cost more than $40,000 -- levels that would exclude many of the electric vehicles on the market or planned to come to the…”

The language here is clear, this is based on tax credits. Like the previous exhausted tax credits (for Tesla and GM) you only get the money back if you paid it in US federal taxes. Furthermore, the ceiling of 40K, while possibly advantageous for Tesla, is a joke for the overall EV market which this is supposed to subsidize and encourage.

Obviously the details remain to be worked out, but it is simple to see what the attack plan is for the status quo. Make sure that only middle class incomes will be subsidized to buy ‘cheap’ BEVs, cause you know, ‘for da people!’. The fact that this combination will apply to only a small percentage of buyers, especially the BEV price tag, sounds terrific to them.
Excuse me if it has been pointed out (I can not read ALL the posts if I wake up late as I would be here till noon...wait it is 11:30?)
But the Senator is from a CORN state... which rhymes with oil which stands for pollution. This Senator is being a sneaky fatherless male child (Happy Audubon :) ). He is protecting his income stream....I mean his lobbyists... er, I mean the great people of Nebraska (that actually don't live there but own the huge farms that damage the Earth through intense management using pesticides and fertilizers).
The plan he has is Brilliant. To appear to focus on bringing EV's to the poor, and not giving the already wealthy upper-class more government money (like the owners of the large corn fields get in subsidies on many levels), all the while pretending/appearing to be pro EV! Be rilliant!
You really have to give it to that S.O. second letter of the alphabet (Now I've kept from offending Audubon twice in the same post...give me a cookie!).
EDIT: Paracelsus posted while I was typing, and beat me to it, and said it better...I guess. But I am going to let this stay right here to reinforce that the sumbitch didn't fool us.

And it looks like until Berlin comes online, Tesla will continue to lose market share in Europe and China. Kind of picking their poison at the moment (in terms of market share).
What stats exactly are you using to draw this rather long bow on market share?

Tesla sales are going up in all three regions, while global auto sales have been declining (i.e. Tesla's market share is increasing in the regions you mentioned).
1628696586292.png

Giga Shanghai was supposed to serve the entire China market and Tesla departed from that plan ~one year in.
Tesla sure did. They didn't expect demand to be so great in NA to the point of pissing people off...and this is on the back of increasing prices week after week. So since it's cheaper to sell MIC cars to EU, then why waste a good opportunity to solve supply issues closer to home while making higher margins from EU? It's literally explained in the earnings letter.

Look in the delivery forums. The waiting list is endless.

Tesla sure did. They didn't expect demand to be so great in NA to the point of pissing people off...and this is on the back of increasing prices week after week. So since it's cheaper to sell MIC cars to EU, then why waste a good opportunity to solve supply issues closer to home while making higher margins from EU? It's literally explained in the earnings letter.

Exactly.

Tesla has a huge demand problem right now - they can't make enough cars fast enough to meet the demand! I don't care how they allocate their deliveries as long as they continue to sell every car they make, which they are and do.

Back to the SP....real nice pop a few minutes ago.
Before it was trending down.

So it seems this was a 'macros' related move. The QQQ (an ETF which tracks the NASDAQ-100 index) jumped at the same time as TSLA:

QQQ.2021-08-11.08-30.Macro-News.png

Still haven't heard what the actual 'news' was (although at precisely 8:30 am it could well be some gov't/economic data).

TSLA, like the QQQ, slumped back to it's Pre-market low by noon ET. Be interesting to know what the 'news' was.

Cheers!

I’ve got a MY now, plus an MXP and CT on order, and although that’s plenty of vehicles to last me the next 10 years, I am ready to FOMO some more orders for cars I don’t really need. Sorta like the run on toilet paper.

Anyway, we’re about to go to $800, so I’ll console myself with that for a bit...

I
I’ve got a MY now, plus an MXP and CT on order, and although that’s plenty of vehicles to last me the next 10 years, I am ready to FOMO some more orders for cars I don’t really need. Sorta like the run on toilet paper.

Anyway, we’re about to go to $800, so I’ll console myself with that for a bit...

FOMO ordered a second CT just to lock FSD price but now realizing...

Future me with my stocks when FSD works but having to pay extra for it:
55yqui.png

So it seems this was a 'macros' related move. The QQQ (an ETF which tracks the NASDAQ-100 index) jumped at the same time as TSLA:

View attachment 695229

Still haven't heard what the actual 'news' was (although at precisely 8:30 am it could well be some gov't/economic data).

TSLA, like the QQQ, slumped back to it's Pre-market low by noon ET. Be interesting to know what the 'news' was.

Cheers!
This post (the one before the one from @Unpilot that you replied to) appears to explain the reason that the macros and Tesla popped earlier:
CPI data right at expectations. 0.5% in July, up 5.4% year-on-year. TSLA jumped 7 points.
This was also referenced by others like Gary Black with the significance explained in the tweet below:

Nothing was set in stone, you adapt as situation requires. (Agile)

.Did Tesla foresee 500K run rate in < 2 years? Did they plan in advance to make China export hub this quickly?
.Can China GF 3/Y lines be turned into 25K prod lines if required? Can more variations models be included for China?
.How to manage supply-chain, global deliveries once Giga Berlin, Austin come online?
.What is the rate of transition to EV, are we at a tipping point? How quickly will it happen?
.Has EV demand in US surged recently, can ~ 500K Fremont output be mainly for NA?
.How is Tesla coming to the ~20M number by 2030?

Jack be Nimble, Jack be quick ...

TRUST TESLA!!
Lets also not forget that people would portray (probably did portray) that Tesla is moving manufacturing to China. So to minimize that Tesla says that China plant is for China.

Here’s what I would broadly say; instead of being a ‘this is a problem’ person be a ‘let me find a solution’ person.

That is why people feel threatened, angry, defensive, bitter - because all they see, all they focus on is ‘omg, problem!’ If you once embrace coming at things from the other direction then you cease to feel negative about the need to change.
It works both ways, as I expect at least you know.

Instead of putting it on them to be the change, it’s worth trying to see how the change will hurt them, why they may resist it (and consequently hurt our interests here), and how we might mitigate that hurt (or at least understand why the EV stimulus may not yield the results we hope) rather than, say, sweeping something out of sight.

We talk a lot about Big Ol’ Auto and Big Oil here and a little, recently about (not-so-)Big Labor. Big Ag not so much; yet its interests bear directly on EV policy. Few Americans, much less those abroad, know much about this hence the pernicious divide continues.

No offense to, uh, anyone in particular.

FYI just got this email from my sales contact at Tesla. Incredible wait times!!!

Estimated delivery time for orders placed today with checkout complete are:

Model 3: 6- 14 weeks.
Model Y: December.
Model S LR: February - March
Model S Plaid: September - October.
Model X : January-February 2022.

If you are wanting a Tesla this year, I would recommend placing $100 down to reserve yours ASAP. Tesla does not ask for any down payment or ask for you to finalize any loan approvals until you have a VIN! By putting down $100, you secure a spot in line & lock in your vehicle's price (to stay safe from any future price adjustments).

"An increase of 1 microgram per cubic centimeter of PM2.5 particulate matter corresponded to a 16% greater risk of all-cause dementia, and a similarly-increased risk for Alzheimer's-type dementia, according to the study.

This particulate matter comes primarily from the burning of fossil fuels, according to the National Resources Defense Council (NRDC). A study last year also linked higher levels of PM2.5 to higher coronavirus death rates."

Perhaps this is why politicians are so slow to take action on climate change.

The article further says: "Earlier this year, Volvo claimed to have the first vehicle that assesses PM2.5 air quality inside the cabin"; with no mention of Bioweapon defence mode or Tesla anywhere. This just adds to the mountain of reasons why I think TSLA has room to go - the sheer volume of people that don't know about the innovation that this company is bringing and making the lives of so many, so much better.

HODL. Not advice.

And interestingly, Sioux Falls South Dakota has a massive wind generation fabrication plant that produces wind generators as fast as it can, which could all be deployed within the state. You will see this on the north side of Interestate 90 just east of Sioux Falls. But you don't really start seeing fields of wind generators until you cross the state line into Minnesota. And most of those windmills in Minnesota are located in monoculture fields of corn and soybeans that are literally identical to those found in South Dakota and Nebraska. It isn't the geographic opportunities of these states that are accelerating or decelerating the adoption of renewables on a large scale. It is the politics, such as Deb Fischer. And IMO it is the investors, such as Warren Buffet and Berkshire Hathaway, located in Omaha just 50 short miles from Nebraska's capital where those coal trains keep rolling through.

31uspx.jpg

The third in the series of Tim Dodd's interviews with Elon at Starbase is up. I just watched it and there's some great video of Elon just working with his team and also some pretty great quotes about life and Mars.

Thank you for posting that @Chenkers . This is the mentality that separates leaders on their merit. He is a true operator:

In rapidly changing situations:

"A guided missile is going in the wrong direction at any given point in time, but it course corrects. You don't want to be a super precise cannonball when you don't even know where the target is." Elon Musk

If SMR makes this quote a t-shirt, I will buy one for each member of my team.

Edit: Too many words for a t-shirt but an amazing quote nevertheless...someone make it a meme who knows how to do such things maybe.

Last edited:
FYI just got this email from my sales contact at Tesla. Incredible wait times!!!

Estimated delivery time for orders placed today with checkout complete are:

Model 3: 6- 14 weeks.
Model Y: December.
Model S LR: February - March
Model S Plaid: September - October.
Model X : January-February 2022.

If you are wanting a Tesla this year, I would recommend placing $100 down to reserve yours ASAP. Tesla does not ask for any down payment or ask for you to finalize any loan approvals until you have a VIN! By putting down $100, you secure a spot in line & lock in your vehicle's price (to stay safe from any future price adjustments).
Yeah, same here. Our Model Y order placed on June 1st was originally supposed to be ready by late August to early September. Recently it was updated to late September/October. Today it now shows October 21 to November 15. Nothing special about our order.

With production and deliveries being so high, I don't think it's because their production capacity is down.

Something is afoot. Wonder what that might be.