Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Simultaneously buying calls and puts for the same strike? That's a straddle. The additional puts on the 300s mean that if it drops low enough, they think it's going to go really low.
We don't know whether they bought or sold.

But that's a huge number 2.2 Million i.e. 220 Million shares ! More than all issued shares and is worth at $45 a contract, a cool $1 Billion !

My bet is on March 15th we end up exactly at 365 ;)

That guy is dangerous is teaching stupid kids how to incorrectly work on EV's handling batteries and HV systems carelessly.

That statement I agree with.

In one of his videos Rich uses brute force on a salvaged Tesla battery pack while saying something to the effect of:

"I have no idea what will happen next".

There is no comparison to someone like Ingineerix,

Ingineerix

Noticed very high volume option activities on Mar 15 today. What kind of strategy is this?View attachment 367548
How does it have such large volume with such a tiny open interest?

To me it looks like someone __closed__ their positions on 365 call, and 365/300 put spread?

edit:

Looks more like a glitch to me. Even if there's a large fish closing positions in those strikes, the volume shouldn't be exactly identical because you should at least see some small volume by other traders which is unlikely to be identical in volume for all 3 strikes.

Reactions: neroden
How does it have such large volume with such a tiny open interest?

To me it looks like someone __closed__ their positions on 365 call, and 365/300 put spread?

edit:

Looks more like a glitch to me. Even if there's a large fish closing positions in those strikes, the volume shouldn't be exactly identical because you should at least see some small volume by other traders which is unlikely to be identical in volume for all 3 strikes.
Something weird.

On fidelity I see a volume of 17,508,126 for several call strikes - 225, 297.5, 317.5, 352.5, 680 and puts at 367.5. All this for 1/18.

Not seeing anything unusual for 3/15.

Open interest may get updated at the end of the day, not sure.

Last edited:
Something weird.

On fidelity I see a volume of 17,508,126 for several strikes - 225, 297.5, 317.5, 352.5, 680 and puts at 367.5.

Open interest may get updated at the end of the day, not sure.
Earlier this morning (before ~8:50am PST time), thinkorswim showed largest order of the day for options and I only see one with 900 contracts. Forgot what the strike was.

Had to roll up / out some covered calls I had sold late last week (and on which I was severely underwater), as the time value was approaching $1.00 (and the delta was approaching .80!). Loving the price action these past few days.

EDIT: Personal note -- rented a Model 3 for a drive into San Francisco yesterday for work (HOV stickers are amazing). What a great car. Enjoyed it more than the Model X.

Saw this on Bezo's twitter and I laughed.

upload_2019-1-9_10-22-12.png

李克强会见美国客人_总理_中国政府网
Official Chinese gov website reports Elon meeting with Li Ke Qiang.
最新_中国政府网
If you check the list of news related to Li, you will see there are not many of such meetings with CEO of a foreign company, this is bullish as hell.
Their request to Tesla could be opening a R&D center in Beijing which in turn will bring countless gov benefits.
Tesla’s China revenue could end up much higher than rest of the world combined (which they should anyway).

Last edited:
  • China car tariffs will be at the low 25% that worked for Tesla in the past (not the punitive 40% import tax),
Chinese Auto Tariffs were 25%. Then Trump started sabre rattling and the Chinese announced they were reducing auto tariffs to 15%.

Then Trump announced new tariffs on Chinese goods.

Then China retaliated by increasing auto tariffs on US vehicles, among other things, by 25% to 40%.

Cars made in Europe are currently paying 15%.

If trade war ends US cars should face no more than a 15% tariff.

By the way, have been regularly checking Money Flows since I first learned of that indicator a few days ago thanks to someone on here. No sign of "Selling on Strength" for TSLA over these past few trading days.

Currently 14-day Money Flow Index (MFI) reading for TSLA is 42.16, up from a low of about 30 several days back, which coincidentally was the lowest that reading had been since October right before the ER announcement.

Money Flows: Selling on Strength - Markets Data Center - WSJ.com

Any predictions for the day?

I'm going for a dip to start, maybe as low as 322, with resistance around that mark then backup to to test the 335.5 again.

This is due to trumps wall speech and the China trade deal ongoing.

This is not advice as its plucked directly out of thin air!!

Any one else care to guess on today's volatility?

Its remarkable how the market is disconnected from US politics. Literally the market doesn't care if the government is shutdown or working ! Looks like both sides are digging in (though I suspect Dems are always ready to throw in the towel at any moment) and we could be in for a long shutdown. But the market couldn't care less !

Reactions: Carl Raymond