Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Weird-- I thought Teslas mission was to accelerate the transition to sustainable transport, not "make a ton of cash"

1. Those aren't mutually exclusive.

B. You don't see "a ton of cash" as an advantage in company survival in difficult economic times?

III. Having cash reserves to fund new endeavors is bad how?

It's interesting that many people believe (or would have you believe) that socially/environmental responsible endeavors are costly, and akin to social programs. Elon has helped demonstrate that you can make $$$ doing the right thing. You just have to be willing to tell folks with vested interests to GFY.

I actually wonder if Elon came to the harsh realization "we ultimately can't beat the Chinese" with regard to EV production. The number of Chinese competitors in the space and the rate at which they iterate on new models is, frankly, astounding. This may just be him pivoting the company as quickly as possible while they still have a material revenue stream from the cars to the thing he thinks they can compete and lead in in: RoboTaxis, Robots, AI-a-go-go, etc.

Now we will see how Tesla competes in the market as a mainstream player just like everyone else. Can it compete over the long haul?

Uber revolutionized the taxi business. But guess what, the majority still drive their personal cars, and young people still aspire to own one.

until Delaware happened I didn't see this as significant, the cash flow of incentive money for batteries and EV to Tesla did not look like ignoring to me. But this must be the single most biggest threat against America's number one innovator Tesla and Elon Musk.

Elon has always stated how government help is not necessary for companies to make the transition. I don't think this attitude has changed. He never expected, nor has he depended upon these programs as a part of his plan. In fact, I'd suspect he has more than likely anticipated interference from these power-brokers whose comfy, century-old businesses have reached a level of mediocrity that has left them unprepared to pivot. Lashing out is their only weapon when they cannot compete, and Elon is a master player of games.

These things are not significant deterrents to Tesla. Rather, they are merely the inevitable speed bumps that can be expected along the way.

The support of the "current party in power" may seem significant to the other OEMs, but only because they aren't trying very hard to transition and have a long history of wasteful use of money. Whether from funding lobbyist, or sucking from the government teat of subsidies to prop up their businesses. Their focus is rewarding their under-performing executives and parasitical shareholders rather than actually making strides to move their businesses into the future.

Tesla remains focused on the bleeding edge of advancement. They have cash, manufacturing expertise, innovative design acumen, and momentum.

If these actions from a loss of government support represents "the biggest threat" then is there really any problem at all worth worrying over?

Joe Tegtmeyer posts that Elon commented on a photo of Austin Gigafactory

"After Jeff Roberts posted these images of Giga Texas yesterday, @elonmusk commented that the center section of the new extension will be a water cooled supercomputer cluster. This is related to the permits & cooling structural platform under construction we have discussed on previous videos."

Elon said "The rear portion of the factory extension (the part furthest away from the glass) will be a super dense, water-cooled supercomputer cluster".

For those who have been following the Austin southern extension buildout, this defines the purpose of a cooling tower structure that recently started construction adjacent to the main building. It also might explain the 3 strange concrete vaults that were constructed and then burried under the main floor of the southern extension.

Many things are happening within Tesla that are not revealed or explained until Tesla is ready to do so. This board, well-intentioned as it may be, is an advanced exercise in dart-throwing while blindfolded. Happy to be here nevertheless, I really got no where else to go (very much a callout to Richard Gere in 'An Officer and a Gentleman'.

I'd post the link, but I don't remember if that's allowed or not.

Isn't Dojo or a super computer of some type going into that extension?

Well sure if you are crashing at the same speeds. Are you riding at 25 - 30 mph?

Cycling at 30 mph is much safer than motorcycle at 50 mph, even with a bit more padding.
The two people I've known killed on motorcycles were both sitting at stoplights and were plowed into from behind. This generally won't happen on a bicycle. Maybe my observation isn't the most common way people die on motorcycles but I suspect it's one of the most common. Never the less, I'm basically paranoid if I'm on a bicycle and sharing the road with motor vehicles.

Reactions: petit_bateau
Glad to see you don't want to discuss further job cuts and the effect they may be having on employee morale.

Thanks for the post.
I have found those who remains usually work harder and are actually more motivated because they see their hard work was recognized by the company, therefore was not on the chopping block.

There, discussed. Moving on and I'll say the same thing again next year as Tesla makes their annual cuts.

1. Those aren't mutually exclusive.

B. You don't see "a ton of cash" as an advantage in company survival in difficult economic times?

III. Having cash reserves to fund new endeavors is bad how?

It's interesting that many people believe (or would have you believe) that socially/environmental responsible endeavors are costly, and akin to social programs. Elon has helped demonstrate that you can make $$$ doing the right thing. You just have to be willing to tell folks with vested interests to GFY.

Possibly you missed the post to which mine was a reply... which was

"I think people get a bit too obsessed with the 20 million cars a year goal. I'm an investor, not a car collector. If the best way for Tesla to make a ton of cash is to make 2 million robotaxis, or 1 million taxis and 5 million bots, then lets do that."

They seemed to be more focused, as an investor, on "tons of cash" than the value 20 million new BEVs a year would have toward the stated mission of the company, and seemed fine abandoning that if 1/20th that # of taxis, plus 5M bots, was more profitable.

The two people I've known killed on motorcycles were both sitting at stoplights and were plowed into from behind. This generally won't happen on a bicycle. Maybe my observation isn't the most common way people die on motorcycles but I suspect it's one of the most common. Never the less, I'm basically paranoid if I'm on a bicycle and sharing the road with motor vehicles.
You are correct on point one and your fear is absolutely correct on bicycling. FSD at scale will make it much safer to mix light unarmored vehicles with cars/trucks. Until then riding either with cars/trucks will result in a very high death rate. We need more bicycle paths in the USA.

Possibly you missed the post to which mine was a reply... which was

"I think people get a bit too obsessed with the 20 million cars a year goal. I'm an investor, not a car collector. If the best way for Tesla to make a ton of cash is to make 2 million robotaxis, or 1 million taxis and 5 million bots, then lets do that."

They seemed to be more focused, as an investor, on "tons of cash" than the value 20 million new BEVs a year would have toward the stated mission of the company, and seemed fine abandoning that if 1/20th that # of taxis, plus 5M bots, was more profitable.

Fair enough... I'm just pointing out those aren't mutually exclusive.

Elon did, for example, point out that he believed Tesla would become the most valuable company in the world...

Reactions: UkNorthampton
Just a little humor to start the week. ( I know the reports are that the low interest rate is working so don't get stupid)
1716216954558.png

I own Tesla stock through the two largest online stock brokers in Sweden and apparently both will arrange for the possibility to vote as per news today. I am tempted to vote against the board's recommendation because I lost confidence in Musk as CEO. But at least short term I guess that would be bad for the share price.
So you don't want to pay him the already agreed stock options for his work over the last 6 years... because you think he may not do a good job going forward? That seems like a way to guarantee he will not do a good job going forward.
Seems to me we pay the man the agreed amount for his prior work (with unprecedented accomplishments) THEN talk about whether/how we want to pay him for the next 6 years. That will be a different vote on a different Board proposal sometime in the future.

No problem, except, Tesla, quite clearly in Elon's view, has stagnated and become a trifle complacent.
Not arguing this, because I believe that Elon does feel that. The question I have is, how could Tesla become complacent without the blame for that resting at least partially on Elon's shoulders? Is he being stymied by the Board, or other decision making structures within Tesla?

Totally unrelated I am sure, but does all this talk now from voices trying to deny Elon's stock package seem a bit like Russia's behavior over the last few weeks, throwing every warm body they have into the fray to try to take ground now since they know their opponent is on the cusp of gaining a LOT of firepower?
Not financial advice - just an observation. 🤷‍♂️

Chinese build a lot of things a lot cheaper than American companies can, that doesn’t mean American companies dont still dominate their own home market and take a sizable share of international market. (Especially when your government adds a 100% tariff to chinese imports)

We dont even have to leave the Auto space to find comparisons - decent quality Chinese ICE cars are substantially cheaper than American & European models, yet plenty of American & European models still sell well around the world at far higher prices.

American companies usually dominate in the US with superior brand allegience, service & marketing.
All true. However, Americans also like/love "cheap stuff"....and "made in China" tends to equate to lower cost for American consumers. The tariffs are designed to protect American businesses, but it seems inevitable that this is a temporary bandaid at best. Look at the dominance American automakers had in the 60s, then the Japanese automakers came in....and later the Koreans. The road may take years or even decades to traverse, but it gets there. It will likely include building Chinese-owned factories on U.S. soil before it's all said and done (Volvo and Polestar enter the chat).

Of course all of this is beyond the fact that China is the largest auto market in the world and the local automakers are rapidly decimating foreign brands there - while simultaneously increasing exports. Meanwhile, GM, as an example has divested of a lot of its "overseas" brands (Vauxhall, Opel, Holden, etc.).