Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
to its "American automaker counterparts" ?

This may just be the American in me, but aren't there other countries... with like... their own automakers, which Tesla might also outgrow?

yes, in fact....

everyone.gif

CNBC Video - half hour ago: Latest News

Toni like so many others relies on the valuation algorithms learned in college. They project outward for one or two quarters. Those are somewhat applicable to long established companies in stable industries. They are useless in regard to innovative young companies disrupting major industries. :rolleyes:
They may not be doing it, for whatever reason, but certainly the wider investing community now knows Elon does what he says he's gonna do. When he guides for doubling production next year, folks will listen.

Tesla options imply 11.2% move in share price post-earnings (TheFlyOnTheWall)
THE FLY 2:49 PM ET 10/21/2020
Pre-earnings options volume in Tesla is normal with calls leading puts 2:1. Implied volatility suggests the market is anticipating a move near 11.2%, or $47.64, after results are released. Median move over the past eight quarters is 7.1%.

Source: Fidelity / The Fly

Tesla options imply 11.2% move in share price post-earnings TSLA - The Fly

Insane Gross Margin on MY and MIC M3
I made an analysis based on Sandy Munro cost data vs car prices.
Seems hard to believe but Gross Margin on MY and MIC M3 is almost 50%, for a barebones SR+ (MIC M3 including government subsidy)

Add options (especially FSD) and we're way over 50%!

Seems hard to grasp, especially since we're not yet with Gigacastings, battery day tech - but the costs all based on sandy and the process seems right.

Let me know what you think

‘Insane’ is an OK word, but ‘obscene’ is over the top in describing margins. It was not many quarters back Tesla were posting losses. They can’t go from struggling to overcharging in a blink.

I concur. GM and the rest of the legacy automakers are/will be expecting a bailout via the Green New Deal. Big Auto will receive a ton of money all the while dragging their feet and announcing new vehicles aka vaporware coming soon.

Tesla was ignored and in fact legacy auto was mentioned during the New Green Deal announcement. Additionally, during Gov. Newsome's announcement regarding the ban of new ICE vehicle sales in 2035, Ford, not Tesla was mentioned.
Probably Newsome's subtle way of giving the middle finger to Elon over his Twitter-complaining about Alameda county's covid restrictions.

Insane Gross Margin on MY and MIC M3
I made an analysis based on Sandy Munro cost data vs car prices.
Seems hard to believe but Gross Margin on MY and MIC M3 is almost 50%, for a barebones SR+ (MIC M3 including government subsidy)

Add options (especially FSD) and we're way over 50%!

Seems hard to grasp, especially since we're not yet with Gigacastings, battery day tech - but the costs all based on sandy and the process seems right.

Let me know what you think

Good video. Two questions/points.

1) Sandy Munro’s estimate for the SR was before it was released and he mentioned decontenting, some of which didn’t happen (e.g. there was originally supposed to be no glass roof, no wood trim, cheaper stereo...). Since Tesla elected to not remove some of those items, his cost estimate could be too low.

2) You mentioned you might do a video which would address my main concern, which is why gross margins aren’t currently as high as Sandy predicted. That would be appreciated:)

Reactions: kanweg
https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2020/10/21/tesla-self-driving/

“The fundamental challenge of neural nets is achieving sufficient reliability to use in a safety-critical system,” said Edward Niedermeyer, communications director for the Partners for Automated Vehicle Education (PAVE) campaign, a coalition of nonprofits seeking to help the public better understand driverless technology.
“I’m puzzled as to where the confidence came from almost four years ago that they’d be able to do this,” said Niedermeyer, who wrote the 2019 book “Ludicrous: The Unvarnished Story of Tesla Motors.” “The reason you do these things is because it’s an extremely hard problem, and it’s not realistic to solve this problem with some cameras.”

Atom.finance
Tesla earnings preview - On steady production and healthy demand, electric vehicle maker has blown out expectations
17 minutes ago

• After the close today, Tesla (TSLA) is scheduled to report Q3 earnings. A conference call is set to follow at 5:30 p.m. E.T. After ripping to all time highs on September 1, the stock cooled off and has traded within a $425-$450 range over the past couple of weeks.
  • For the quarter, analysts are expecting the electric vehicle maker to post EPS and revenue of $0.60 and $8.29 bln, respectively.
    • Recall that in Q2, TSLA posted its fourth straight profitable quarter, prompting many to believe that the company would be included in the S&P 500.
    • Even though TSLA cleared the final hurdle to be included in the index, the S&P 500 committee opted to pass on adding the company.
  • Despite COVID-related headwinds, TSLA has posted impressive quarterly results this year, crushing analysts' expectations. Last quarter, TSLA blew out the EPS forecast by $2.34, following beats of $1.45 in Q1 and $1.53 in 4Q19.
    • One caveat is that last quarter's blow out EPS result was inflated by record regulatory tax credit sales of $428 mln. TSLA sells these government issued credits to its competitors, which they use to offset the cost of making zero emission vehicles.
  • Still, TSLA has managed to keep production humming throughout the pandemic and demand has remained healthy, especially in China for its Model 3 vehicle.
    • In Q2, Model 3 and Model Y combined deliveries totaled 80,277, up 5% sequentially, which is quite impressive relative to other auto makers which struggled with double-digit declines.
  • On October 2, TSLA disclosed that it delivered nearly 140,000 vehicles in Q3, slightly above the 136K consensus estimate. That represents a robust 54% sequential jump, but, it's likely not strong enough to allow TSLA to meet its goal of 500K deliveries this year.
    • Over the first three quarters of FY20, TSLA has delivered about 319K vehicles.
    • The current consensus for FY20 deliveries is ~480K.
  • A key metric that will help determine whether TSLA easily outperforms bottom-line expectations again is automotive gross margin. Last quarter, automotive gross margin slipped to 18.7% from 20.0% in Q1 due to idle capacity charges and lower operational efficiency from various shutdowns.
  • TSLA's expectations regarding the Cybertruck production timeline will also be important. Just prior to the company's "Battery Day" event in September, CEO Elon Musk tweeted "... This affects long-term production, especially Semi, Cybertruck & Roadster, but what we announce will not reach serious high-volume production until 2022."
    • This statement disappointed investors because the Cybertruck was expected to hit full-scale production in late 2021.
  • Lastly, Musk's commentary regarding mining plans will be a focal point. Securing enough lithium to produce 20 mln vehicles per year is a formidable challenge. To address that challenge, Musk reported on September 29 that TSLA secured its own lithium mining rights in Nevada.