Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next line to come online will be the Shanghai Model Y...I could see them sticking to 2170 in China for now.

My understanding is the LFP pack from CATL may be a drop in that i.e. CATL supplies a fully built pack.

If true, that will free up the regular 2170 pack making machine for making more Model Y packs...

The 2170 pack making machine in China is apparently limited to something like 4K-5K packs per week.
The higher capacity 2170 pack making machine in GF Nevada was rumored to be very large...

One look at the 2170 pack, tells me the machines to make them are expensive.

In comparison, a 4680 pack looks very easy to build...

If I needed to build a working pack manually, 4680 is my choice....

So personally I would not invest in machines to make 2170 packs, if 4680 was a viable option.

I personally think Elon is sandbagging. He’s been sandbagging a lot lately. If they are going to go with a new structurally redesign for Berlin and they are super close to getting the production right with the new battery cells then to me it would seem silly not to put these in the Berlin made model Ys. Do you think they would invest in 2170 cells in Berlin at this point?
I think it's best to keep Elon on his word which is already aggressive enough. It'll be a pleasant surprise if it turns out better than expected but I think it's a disservice being over zealous with Musk's projects given his track record with brand new technologies. There were more warnings in this presentation than usual. And lets not forget that he is still pretty aggressive with his stance on FSD even as of just a few days ago. Pretty sure no one thinks he ever sand bagged FSD, if anything he has been too aggressive on it. We can't just think he's now sandbagging everything because the Model Y was 6 months early. I'm also not going to go with Elon time since he has proven to have the ability to execute better than expected in his past also.

It does seem they are investing in all sorts of batteries no matter what form factor. Possible 10% stake at LG and just announced LFP today. I think Y will be sourcing Cells out of China and Korea vs the U.S for awhile until they build the cell production facility which is suppose to come after the Model Y factory.

Last edited:
Sorry to bust everyone's bubble prior to record Q3 numbers but...

Tesla Is Being Overtaken (NASDAQ:TSLA) | Seeking Alpha
upload_2020-9-30_17-15-52-png.593928

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I always wondered what happened to Morrissey. He should've stuck with singing.

• Funny
Reactions: Krugerrand
FYI: E.W. Neidermeyer (high profile TSLAQ member and author) made this ridiculous claim in Early August regarding how Tesla sales in Norway were collapsing (and refusing to listen to explanations of the obvious dip in deliveries from the Covid shutdown in Fremont preventing enough cars going to Europe in Q2)

https://twitter.com/Tweetermeyer/status/1290647499980656642?s=20

upload_2020-10-1_18-6-6.png

Now that Q3 is complete the obvious evidence to the contrary is that Tesla just had its best quarter of 2020 in Norway, for all 3 models.

EjN-tRRU4AAtekK

I have a question about electric vehicles that maybe has been answered before, but I haven’t seen it yet.
What do we do if the power is out for a long period of time (I.e. blackouts, etc)? How do we charge our vehicles? I wonder sometimes if this could be a source of “control” that the governing forces could have over the people. Hmmm...:rolleyes:
If there is a power outage then I will hook up my inverter to Tesla and plug in my refrigerator, since vehicle is plugged in every night and would be "fully" charged. When charge gets down to 20% (days later), head to the nearest working supercharger. Or a friends with electricity and a dryer..

Last edited:
I have a question about electric vehicles that maybe has been answered before, but I haven’t seen it yet.
What do we do if the power is out for a long period of time (I.e. blackouts, etc)? How do we charge our vehicles? I wonder sometimes if this could be a source of “control” that the governing forces could have over the people. Hmmm...:rolleyes:

I heard that there is this amazing energy company out there that makes stationary energy storage as well as solar panels that looks just like quality roof material. I forget what the name of the company is but im sure if you google "that company that makes electric cars solar panels and batteries" youll find it

I personally think Elon is sandbagging. He’s been sandbagging a lot lately. If they are going to go with a new structurally redesign for Berlin and they are super close to getting the production right with the new battery cells then to me it would seem silly not to put these in the Berlin made model Ys. Do you think they would invest in 2170 cells in Berlin at this point?

Could use cells from Panasonic/LG etc. Most likely IMHO as in the current construction footprint at GF4 Berlin there is no building for cell production. So unlikely they will have any cell production there in the beginning.

I know, "extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof", but Steve Jurvetson's Future Ventures is an investor in Commonwealth Fusion.

The saying is "Don't bet against Elon Musk", but it's Jurvetson money that has been backing Musk every time.

A SPARC of Fusion Energy

Fusion power doesn't change the EV business case, if anything it strengthens it - you're going to need somewhere to put all that "free" energy and a crap-load of stationary and mobile storage is perfect.

The fossil-fools will claim using it to generate hydrogen would be a good idea, but unfortunately for them, they are totally wrong.