Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(Assuming every unit sold is a $25k model with no range or software upgrades)

20 million cars @ $25K ASP x 20% Gross Margin = $100 Billion in Gross Profit

=====

(Assuming a higher ASP from range/software upgrades and millions of Model 3/Y/S/X/R/CT/Semi also sold a year)

20 million cars @ $35K ASP x 20% Gross Margin = $140 Billion in Gross Profit

=====

Add in higher margins and/or large profits from additional higher priced model ranges (vans/buses/light trucks/tunnelpods etc), Energy, services, finance, Robotaxis, future new industries entered etc at your leisure for even higher amount of gross profit.

Model 2 @ $25K gets us to ~10M cars/yr by about 2027ish.

Hate to break it to folks here, but 20M cars/yr will depend upon the arrival of a $15K Model 1 in massive numbers. Look for China first, but about another 10M/yr from this Model worldwide, by 2030 or maybe a little earlier if Tesla executes flawlessly.

Again, I think a $15K "Model Won" is the Robotaxi, Tesla builds them by the 10s of millions, and the profit margin is 1,000% with FSD/TaaS and in-car Ad-supported rides...

So let it be written, so let it be done. :D

mcknu.jpg

Cheers!

To be fair to Elon when he said he didn’t have anyone to delegate to, he meant at Tesla, I believe.

That, Btw, is no ones fault but Elon’s. He’s never been a good manager. Great leader but not a manager. Which is fine. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses. In the end his lament is that Elon can’t find executives willing to work for him that are like himself. And he’s right because anyone like Elon is running their own company. You gotta put up with less experienced and smart executives if you are Elon and want to delegate.

Anyhoo the fact they we didn’t learn anything new in the interview is why it was useless. And asking him who he is going to vote for is just obnoxious. It was obvious Kara was essentially working for the Biden campaign at that point trying to generate headlines that Eon backs Biden. Good on Elon to piss all over her parade.

One take away is that Elon is in Super Saiyan mode after wallstreet dropping the ball on their analysis, which is music to my ears.

Reactions: Drax7
Right. Elon didn't address this at all. It is the #1 reason why all these alternate anode and cathode chemistries fail (#2 being able to mass produce it cheaply enough). Obviously Tesla knows this so we can expect that they've got it figured out.
I believe that thermal stresses are the key contributor to chemical and cell degradation. The new tabless cell design appears to significantly reduce thermal gradients and might be the secret recipe to both faster charging AND extended life.

I also am giving thought to what areas/tasks he means when saying Tesla investors would be concerned if we knew the full scope of tasks he does because he is unable to find the right people to delegate to. I wouldn't assume he's talking engineering but he didn't specify. Any thoughts on that? Separately, I love when he tells people/doubters to sell their shares. Ultimate confidence & focus on the mission ahead of all else.

Well, you remember all the hit-pieces about toilet-roll a couple of years back...?

"Tesla CEO Elon Musk: Tesla will be worth more in five years" | CNBC on youtube.com

Tesla's acceptance in the financial world is so welcome vs being their constant whipping boy. Just a few months/years ago the take aways of "Tesla CEO Elon Musk: Tesla stock is overvalued" would have outnumbered the others 10:1. Very welcome change!

Since we have so many investors here, many of whom are frighteningly undiversified outside of Tesla.... How do you move past the inevitably that during the pursuit of FSD, Tesla will have crashes and deaths. This will be true during beta, while the driver is still technically responsible and afterwards when the vehicle is responsible. Mathematically speaking, there will be crashes and deaths no matter how good FSD is because no matter how many "nines" they get, crashes and deaths will always be > zero. The media will unfortunately eat these stories up. Just wondering what this inevitably does to our portfolios?

Since we have so many investors here, many of whom are frighteningly undiversified outside of Tesla.... How do you move past the inevitably that during the pursuit of FSD, Tesla will have crashes and deaths. This will be true during beta, while the driver is still technically responsible and afterwards when the vehicle is responsible. Mathematically speaking, there will be crashes and deaths no matter how good FSD is because no matter how many "nines" they get, crashes and deaths will always be > zero. The media will unfortunately eat these stories up. Just wondering what this inevitably does to our portfolios?
Same as battery fires. They will make headlines, stock will crash, time moves on and then the stories becomes more rare even with increasing fleet size.

The real issue is of FSD gets regulatory approval and is safer than an human driver, even past that point the "march of nines" continues.

Working FSD boosts the share price in multiple ways:-
  • Increased take rate of FSD and recognition of revenue.
  • Tesla network income
  • Increasing appeal of Tesla cars.
Financially the positives more than cancel out the occasional negative.

In terms of the preservation of human life the argument is the same, any death is unfortunate, but fewer deaths and injuries are highly desirable. There is a difference between prefect and significantly better.

I fully expect one day the negative narrative around Tesla will disappear, short sellers will have lost their money, car dealers will be out of business, Fossil Fuel companies will be extinct, legacy auto will be trying desperately to survive. The push back will be Tesla is too successful , too dominant and too powerful, some countries will try to protect their auto industry from Tesla and Chinese competition.

If there is any legacy media around to "eat these stories up", they are slowly becoming less relevant and less able to move the market.
This isn't a risk that bothers me, yes it might happen from time-to-time, but we have similar stories now about accidents driving on Autopilot.

I’m a bit surprised by lack of volume/lack of speculative buying ahead of Q3 delivery numbers. Q3 results started the turn around last year.

I'm expecting Q3 delivery numbers coming out to be the catayst that increases volume and pushes the stock price up to the next level. Similar to the wake up the stock got when the stock split was announced but hopefully more sustained this time with Q3 earnings and maybe S&P to follow.

Nothing permanent as was responded earlier, same as with battery fires.

What possibly WILL happen however is that with enough reported instances, it will be possible to evaluate statistically the actual number of accidents and deaths that were AVOIDED thanks to FSD. And THAT will put this issue to rest.

Example of most likely deadly accident avoided

All that is needed is an estimate of how many of the accidents avoided were potentially fatal
Tesla Vehicle Safety Report

PS. For the mathematically inclined: Type I vs Type II error / estimating rare events / fat tailed distributions

Also the max energy density increase from this step is about 3x, but they had 20% as their result which means it's not as silicone as we think, but still more than current methods.
I think the issue is:
Old anode contains 9x% graphite + <5% silicon
New anode is y% silicon + z% coating

So currently the actual silicon content could be quite low (~15%?) with a path to unlock much more, as they optimize the coating and get lifecycle data from production cells.

Jeebus, is this real? 30K Americans die every year in auto accidents? What's that do to people's portfolio's? Who's paying for that outrage?

Tesla is working to solve the actual problem. Not coddle investors with cash. Jeep Cherokee.