Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Tesla to make "exciting announcement on Thursday" (correction Tuesday)

What will Elon's "exciting announcement" be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope. Plugging in is too easy, cost effective, and more efficient.

However, wireless has the advantage of avoiding cables.
- Less concern about cable theft, vandalism or damage.
- Could be used at bus stops and taxi ranks where vehicles wait in a spot for indeterminate amounts of time.
- Space-efficient: by burying the charger you don't have to leave charger room by parking spaces. All negotiation and set-up could be done in the car.
- The device would be placed in the middle of the parking space so it would encourages better parking. :D

But another disadvantage is that without a cable it's strictly the car in the spot that gets charged.

Is there an official time / livestream for this announcement tomorrow? Hope so, but if not, I'll just follow this thread.

As for wireless charging, if you could get enough amperage, you could either:
1) Line the first 30 feet at a stoplight, so while you're stopped you get free energy
2) Line the HOV lanes in Cali with strips several hundred / thousand feet in length. If done correctly, you'd never have to recharge. (Not sure about the technical challenges about this one)

Is there an official time / livestream for this announcement tomorrow? Hope so, but if not, I'll just follow this thread.

1) Line the first 30 feet at a stoplight, so while you're stopped you get free energy
2) Line the HOV lanes in Cali with strips several hundred / thousand feet in length. If done correctly, you'd never have to recharge. (Not sure about the technical challenges about this one)
Tesla is just too small. There's no way the announcement is going to be something that'd require massive government involvement across a multitude of states (which is what road changes would require).

Charging while driving is never going to happen. At least not in our lifetimes.

Last edited:

Very interesting comment. I would look at it, though, differently. Outside the stoplight. Or, outside the box.
Stop lights are inherently inefficient.
In the USA I get so fed up with stopping and starting! At every bl00dy stop sign. Stop light.
In contrast, in Europe, so many "stops" are roundabouts instead. Far more efficient! Far less wear on the brakes. Far less gas consumed accelerating. Ergo, far less electricity used.
So, let's ban stop signs and install roundabouts! :)
Considering how much a set of stop lights cost vs. a mini-roundabout?

Very interesting comment. I would look at it, though, differently. Outside the stoplight. Or, outside the box.
Stop lights are inherently inefficient.
In the USA I get so fed up with stopping and starting! At every bl00dy stop sign. Stop light.
In contrast, in Europe, so many "stops" are roundabouts instead. Far more efficient! Far less wear on the brakes. Far less gas consumed accelerating. Ergo, far less electricity used.
So, let's ban stop signs and install roundabouts! :)
Considering how much a set of stop lights cost vs. a mini-roundabout?

I lived in Central NJ for a while. There was a circle where route 202, 206 and a couple others met up and you'd swear the world just ended at that point. So many people couldn't wrap their heads around how to navigate this incredible geometric oddity and the fact that it had 2-3 lanes depending on which part of the circle you were in just blew minds. Can't see it happening.

He could announce quicker expansion of the Supercharger network (using his own money) and a deal with Daimler that allows future B-Class owners to use it for free, for the lifetime of their cars. Would be a good move towards world dominance!

I am talking about expanding Superchargers as a new line of business for Tesla through deals with other EV manufacturers, in particular those who use Tesla's battery tech. If Tesla expands Supercharger access beyond their own cars they could have a shot at becoming the dominant charging station operator in the EV industry, like ExxonMobil or Chevron dominate gas stations for fueling ICE cars today.

Also, Elon likes to think bigger than Tesla, he wants to get to all electric automotive transportation as quickly as possible. For the greater good of the planet!

Teaming up with a major car manufacturer, such as Daimler, to accelarate expansion and share the Supercharger network would be a big deal. However, it won't start with the B-Class EVs. They only have 28 kWh batteries. Before Tesla cancelled the 40 kWh Model S they had determined it too small to be practical for Supercharging. They are not likely to permit a smaller Mercedes to use the network if they've ruled out entry-level Model S reservation holders.

Larry

I lived in Central NJ for a while. There was a circle where route 202, 206 and a couple others met up and you'd swear the world just ended at that point. So many people couldn't wrap their heads around how to navigate this incredible geometric oddity and the fact that it had 2-3 lanes depending on which part of the circle you were in just blew minds. Can't see it happening.
You'd have had to have grown up with them. Took my driving test on them. And stick shift. Er, manual transmission.
However, have to ask ... technically, was it a roundabout or a circle?
Circles ... right of way for those approaching, roundabouts the opposite.
And I understand how people might get confused.
In some places in the UK, they terrify me ... for example in High Wycombe, they have 5 (4?) roundabouts in one. Four perimeter ones, one big one. And you see the whole thing when approaching from a hill from the exit from the M40.
After 3 or 4 goes I got used to it. But I understand your "world just ended" comment!

Last edited:
You'd have had to have grown up with them. Took my driving test on them. And stick shift.
However, have to ask ... technically, was it a roundabout or a circle?
Circles ... right of way for those approaching, roundabouts the opposite.
And I understand how people might get confused.
In some places in the UK, they terrify me ... for example in High Wycombe, they have 5 (4?) roundabouts in one. Four perimeter ones, one big one. And you see the while thing when approaching from a hill from the exit from the M40.
After 3 or 4 goes I got used to it. But I understand your "world just ended" comment!

For Americans (and other aliens) the technical term for what he has just described is a "Magic Roundabout", named after a very popular children's (and, let's be honest here, adult's) TV series. It's so called because for people familiar with them, they work extremely well as they help divide flows of traffic while those unfamiliar watching the flow can only believe that magic makes it work.

In Maine's capital city, Augusta, there is a roundabout and a rotary! (Gasp). A smaller roundabout was re-designed into a rotary and it's much better than it was, as long as everybody knows where they're going and gets into the correct lane before they enter. Occasionally somebody unfamiliar does an unnecessary lane switch but otherwise it flows pretty well.

- - - Updated - - -

I hope you’re wrong.

I think it's unrealistic because wireless charge-on-de-move (ho ho) would be expensive to install and involve large energy losses. I think it's more realistic to hope for improvements in charging rates and ubiquity in highway rest area parking lots (with expanded rest area business).

Last edited by a moderator: