Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to make "exciting announcement on Thursday" (correction Tuesday)

What will Elon's "exciting announcement" be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got dibs one some retail food or hotel chain that signed up with tesla to offer supercharging. The retail outfit already has the location and signing a contract with them will help deploy chargers everywhere starting with the critical locations needed to enable intercity and coast to coast travel. This would be a win-win situation. Tesla wins because of quicker and possibly cheaper deployment of SC network. The Retail outfit wins because it'll draw all Tesla customers there and bring more "high end" business to them. What are you going to do when charging 15-60 minutes anyways? It would be too crazy imagine mcd's... by maybe cracker barrel? (but isn't that east coast only?). Walmart? Target? National gas station brand? Whatever it is it needs to be national and most stores situated near interstate exits. I really hope they're thinking what I'm thinking...

Guys did you know where MOST of the internet is routed through? I've heard it's routed through railroad properties... it's existing "infrastructure." Reusing it to deploy modern tech needs makes sense. Likewise Tesla doesn't need to go trying to buy land for themselves to put charge stations - just strike a deal with existing locations :)

I think what ever it is has to be worth of a announcement/event. [...]
My one question is am I right in assuming it'll be an event or is it just going to be a blog post? If it's a blog post ignore all of this :smile:

Elon likes to tweet. He knows, as in this case, the positive expectations surrounding his teasing tweets sometimes boosts the stock price.

When Broder issued his infamous article Elon tweeted. His followup was merely a blog post followed by another tweet. Most Tesla communications are blogs or website updates. Only a few communications are worthy of an event. Currently Tesla is counting its pennies, an expensive event may have to wait a bit. TESLIVE?

Larry

Guys did you know where MOST of the internet is routed through? I've heard it's routed through railroad properties... it's existing "infrastructure." Reusing it to deploy modern tech needs makes sense. Likewise Tesla doesn't need to go trying to buy land for themselves to put charge stations - just strike a deal with existing locations :)

I'm not sure about "MOST of the internet", but there is a bunch of fiber that was installed along the Southern Pacific Railway rights of way by SPRINT, which is an acronym for Southern Pacific Railroad Internal Network Telecommunications.

Sprint Nextel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

True, though I thought HWPC specifically meant 70A and required the twin chargers.

Nope. The HPWC can be installed on the following circuits and will yield the following charge rates:

100A->80A (for twin chargers, othwerwise 40A)
90A->72A (for twin chargers, othwerwise 40A)
80A->64A (for twin chargers, othwerwise 40A)
70A->56A (for twin chargers, othwerwise 40A)
60A->48A (for twin chargers, othwerwise 40A)
50A->40A
40A->32A

The charge rate is set by dip switches inside the unit. As you can see, 70A is not amongst the possible charge rates at all.

True, though I thought HWPC specifically meant 70A and required the twin chargers.

It requires a twin charger to get the full charge rate, one can always charge at 40A without the twin charger option. But there's really no need for that much current at an overnight destination, 40A is sufficient. Plus, using a standard, J1772 connector is more attractive for a public hotel chain since it won't be limited to one vehicle type. Roadster, Model S, Volt, Leaf (if they can make it) customers would all benefit.

Anyway, it's tough to say what the announcement would be and, like the other guesses, this is pure speculation. After 28 pages here it will be tough for Tesla/Elon to match the hype.

EDIT: Sorry, jkirkebo, missed your post there.

Here's another angle.

Can You Guess Tesla’s Big Mystery Announcement? (AAA Might Have The Answer)

The AAA Mobile EV Charging Truck
All this leads us to side with the battery range/charging station availability guessers, the idea being that the next driver who sets out to drain a Tesla battery on purpose (that’s the gist of Musk’s answer to the Times) is in for a rough ride.

In the meantime, AAA has come up with its own solution for EV drivers who don’t take their dashboards seriously. Last week, AAA announced that it will provide the first mobile roadside EV charging service for stranded EV drivers in the Seattle/Bellevue area of Washington State.

The fast charging Level-3 service only takes an average of 15 minutes and will give spent EV batteries a fresh 10 miles of road time, which should be enough to get to the next charging station in the growing number of U.S. regions where charging networks have been established.

Larry

My prediction (that I will put money on):

Elon will announce completion of 10,000th model S production vehicle and he will exercise 6,711,972 shares of Tesla stock received as part of his performance objectives. This will provide the company with $44.5M of cash assuming an exercise price of $6.63. He may or may not sell some of those shares immediately to cover taxes associated with the sale. My guess is that he will sell just enough shares to cover taxes, but hold the remaining amount.

After all the posts this seems to most logical along with Tesla increasing the pace of the supercharger network. It seems odd how little activity there has been expanding the supercharger network. Lots of talk but no action. Why? There have been hints of improved Supercharging technology so I'm betting they have been holding back until it is finally ready. So now would be a perfect time for:
1. Elon exercises his share of Tesla Stock
2. Improved Supercharger technology announcement
3. Elon's helps to fund the actual expansion with expansion finally more than talk.
And one that hasn't been mentioned support for the Panasonic NCR18650B 3400mah Batteries for the MX. (probably the least likely though)

People still eat at McDonalds?

Haven't been there in years.

Hooking up with a major hotel chain like Marriott or Hyatt would be great.
Fast food? Not so much IMNSHO.

McDonalds has actually really improved their act over the last few years. I don't go there, but the health options are a ton better than in many comparable places. The problem with any fast food partnership is that you're supposed to be in and out really fast - no time to charge, and they depend on the quick turnover to make up their volume. If you buy $10 worth of food there and then occupy a parking space for an hour, that's a significant loss to them during a rush period like breakfast or lunch compared to the number of times they could have had a customer use that space.

I agree that a hotel agreement would be a big deal.

Update: I replied to the tweet and Elon said, "To be clear, Tesla is in California, so it is not April Fool's yet! Also, some may differ, but imo the Tues news is arguably more important"

Oh.my.god!! I was starting to think this is going to be one of those times when you get all exited and then he announces something that would have been awesome (like some stock related stuffs) but we spent all this time talking about it and we get our hopes up. I guess this seals it!! IT'S GOING TO BE AWESOME!!

FYI: I don't think I've read anyone mention it in the thread but what are the possibilities of him announcing a bigger battery option above 85 kwh or an AWD option? I eliminated these earlier because of the Model X delay but this makes me think it has to be pretty big for Elon to continue to hype it up like this.

@elonmusk:
"Really exciting @TeslaMotors announcement coming on Thursday. Am going to put my money where my mouth is in v major way."

Twitter / elonmusk: Really exciting @TeslaMotors ...

PLEASE ANNOUNCE WIRELESS (PROXIMITY) CHARGING!!!! (Like how you put a powermat compatible phone on top of a powermat or a table/surface with powermat embedded inside, and the phone just starts charging!)

I hope he announces that the wire connection is no longer necessary cos' he's gonna put the charging loop under each parking spot at the supercharger so you can just drive right up and the car starts charging straight away until you pull out of the lot! You don't even have to get out of the car and you can see the miles increasing automagically!

And then, a retrofit kit for garages to install this wireless proximity charging loop right under your garage so no more having to pop open the cap to charge your tesla!

*cross fingers*

A thought

People have suggested that a possibility is that Musk is going to take up his options and invest more.

But, if he has "cheap" options, then taking them would just be him making out like a bandit. What if instead the big announcement is that he's NOT going to take up his options and instead is going to WAIVE them?

Since they're already on the books, Tesla could instead sell them in a public offering, get more money and use it to pay down the DoE loan. That both reduces the debt interest burden and help rid Tesla of the "picking winners" political albatross. Just using the capital to reduce debt while there's a profit instead of covering operating expenses also avoids implications of weakness since it's not hiding losses.

Musk would still be investing by virtue of turning down free money but this way the IRS wouldn't be getting a large cut.