Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Tattler Available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, thank you! However, like Bonnie I didn't get an e-mail.
I've added you and Bonnie to the mailing list. Look for a google invite to the tattler group. I also sent version 118 directly to your email
To Doug's question I think Homelink required the premium audio in 2.5's.
I didn't get premium audio and was surprised to find homelink wasn't included...
I also have a question (or possibly a request). I've never tried the following so it may already do this but here's my request...

For the charge monitor I don't want scheduled (every 30 mins or whatever) updates, but I would like to know if the charge stopped before it was finished (ie I'm charging in public and someone unplugged the cable while charging).
Send the command "MONITOR DONE". It will only send you a message when the charge starts or stops.
Also, can I get a text if the alarm goes off (ie someone's breaking into the car)?
It's already in the tattler. Try locking your car with the windows down and then open the door with handle inside. When the door opens, the alarm should go off and the tattler will send you a text message.

I've added you and Bonnie to the mailing list. Look for a google invite to the tattler group. I also sent version 118 directly to your email
Got it - Thanks!

Send the command "MONITOR DONE". It will only send you a message when the charge starts or stops.
Ok. But will that send a text whether the charge stops on its own or is interrupted? Not sure if there is a way for the tattler to know the difference but I'd rather not get a text at 4:00am every night when my car finishes its standard charge but would like to know if the charge stops prior to full (breaker trips or someone unplugs me). I know I can just enable the monitor when I'm charging in public but just throwing ideas out there :)

It's already in the tattler. Try locking your car with the windows down and then open the door with handle inside. When the door opens, the alarm should go off and the tattler will send you a text message.
Excellent!

The thread is kind of quiet so i hope somebody is listening. Trying to find out what a reasonable cooldown target temp would be for my 2.5 when I get home to a garage that is 80+ degrees. The battery longevity thread suggests that a cool battery is a happy battery and getting home at 5PM and charging at 5AM lets the battery simmer for a while. I know it runs coolant cycles on its own but cooling after DC commute seems wise....... any ideas?

@Botbldr45: Not sure you've got the right thread for that question. However, I regularly get home with high garage temperatures and the advice I always got from Tesla was "if in doubt, plug it in". It cools down pretty quickly and my car seems to do just fine like that.

My target is set to 25C (that's 77F).

It's not unusual for my garage to be hotter than that, but I find the pack stays cool for a long time afterwards - it's got substantial thermal mass.
I also left mine at the default which is 25C. All you should have to do is pull into your garage, send the command "cooldown here", wait for acknowledgment, and then plug in. From there on out whenever you plug in at home it will check the pack temp and start charging if the temp is above 25C.

Nigel,

He's talking about the "cooldown" feature of the Tattler where you can set a target pack temp. When you plug in, if the pack is above that temp, it will start a 13A charge to more rapidly cool the pack because it will turn on the air conditioner. After the cooldown it will return to your planned rate and charge time. Without actively charging the car will run the coolant pump but no A/C or fans so it will take longer for the pack temp to drop.

available for Model S?

Sorry Tattler not available for model S at this time.
Tesla will have/have an app solution for the model S.
It will be interesting to see model S owner's feedback on that.

- - - Updated - - -

Hallo! Is this tattler avaliable for my 2.5 2012 vin 813? I live in Norway.

Yes, the Tattler supports all models of Roadster, even 1.0s.
The Tattler uses a GSM GPRS modem to send & receive sms text messages.
As long as you can get a standard GSM SIM and a (hopefully low cost) plan (txt only, unlimited preferably) you should be fine.

Announcement: Tattler v2 "set and forget" release now available

Hi Folks,
I'd like to announce a firmware update for users of the Tesla Tattler.

Several of the new features in the release support the theme of "set and forget", so that where ever you go in your Roadster you can simply plug it in and walk away, no fiddling with the VDS or need to send commands to the car/Tattler.

The Tattler now has a concept of home and way locations, which can each have different charge overrides, monitoring options, and commands executed automatically at specific times.

e.g. When I plug my Roadster in a home after returning from the daily commute, Tattler v2 immediately cools the battery using minimum energy (TOU rates may be high at this time), then bulk charging occurs at 1am (better TOU rates, or just be nice to the grid), in Range mode, at a gentle 23A, to a target of 60% of full charge, then at 0545a pre-cools the battery prior to the next lemming run. 60% is quite a bit below a standard mode charge but perhaps nicer on my battery over time as our local commute only causes a small drop in charge level.

When plugged in away from home, the settings are different; charge at maximum available power until 200miles (or Km, v2 supports mi/km, F/C, m/ft options), using Range mode for better battery cooling and ability to charge beyond the standard limit.
Compared to a normal range change, setting the target to 200mi(320km) is faster to complete, puts less full charge stress on the battery and when done the car has extended range and normal regen driving characteristics.
At home I'm not as concerned about monitoring the car, but on the road, charging in "the wild", I prefer more frequent and detailed status messages.

Now say I'm at home and tomorrow need more charge for a longer drive, I send "charge target 185" (or 300 in Km),
My 36,000+ mile Roadster will have 185 miles of range and a cool battery vs 173miles and a warmer battery if I used a regular Standard mode charge.
The next time I plug in at home the Tattler will use the original settings (60% charge target). The 'save' command updates location specific charge and monitor settings.

For full details all the features, please check out this new Tattler web site, for a list of new feaures vs release 1.x, see this page.

On the monitoring side, I'd like to give a shout out to Tom Sax, for providing the algoithm and code for the useful new charge complete feature.
This is no simple thing on the Roadster with it's different charge modes (e.g. range, standard etc), selectable current (~power) and Tattler options to end at a specific ideal range or battery charge level.

I'd also like to quickly mention the new service phone number.
Many Roadsters are not daily drivers, perhaps even more now that many owners also have the Model S with it's easy ingress/egress, room for people and stuff and other allures.
The Tattler service feature sends weekly summaries including battery state and car alerts, though low battery and other serious alerts are sent immediately.
The service phone number can be the owner's mobile, or could be a shared number (e.g. a free google voice/txt number) shared with a responsible party that perhaps can respond to any issues while the owner is away.

For full details including how to receive and install the new release please visit the new Tattler web site

Last edited: