Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Command failed" when using Tesla app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had the car a week and I’ve never been able to get commands from the app to work. The car is on LTE (wifi wont reach, but have done software update via phone hotspot), I’ve tried all forms of restarting my phone and the car and uninstalling/reinstalling the app.

Always “command failed” but internet/theatre/music etc all work inside the car on LTE.

I can book a service appointment but it will be outside the time period where I can return the car to the dealer.. so I'm not quite sure what to do. Obviously I can't even get Tesla on the phone to talk about it.

Anyone had similar issues?

Yes raise a service request.
IF they can access the car remotely they may be able to fix it OTA. When I got my first car it would not do software updates and I raised a request and they fixed it in about two hours.
The fact that you can get music etc and the software update worked suggests it is not a hardware issue so it may just need something resetting on the servers or the car software .

I had this just the other day after the buying the car 2nd hand.

I could lock/unlock, but that was it really. No preheat, vent or change limit etc.

Tried all the resets etc. on and off wifi, on personal hotspot whilst sat in the car.

Car on 2023.44 (up to date as avail) and app up to date.

I raised a service request and a day or so after it was elevated to the remote diagnostic team it all started working as advertised.

Yet to have feedback from Tesla. But it’s been working with no issues for a few days now. 🤞 it stays that way.

I’m leaving the service request open (it contained other stuff anyway) until I hear from them officially.

Pure speculation from me but it’s interesting that we would have both only recently added the vehicle to our accounts. Could it be to do with that?

Get the service request in asap and hopefully you get sorted soon.

I had this just the other day after the buying the car 2nd hand.

I could lock/unlock, but that was it really. No preheat, vent or change limit etc.

Tried all the resets etc. on and off wifi, on personal hotspot whilst sat in the car.

Car on 2023.44 (up to date as avail) and app up to date.

I raised a service request and a day or so after it was elevated to the remote diagnostic team it all started working as advertised.

Yet to have feedback from Tesla. But it’s been working with no issues for a few days now. 🤞 it stays that way.

I’m leaving the service request open (it contained other stuff anyway) until I hear from them officially.

Pure speculation from me but it’s interesting that we would have both only recently added the vehicle to our accounts. Could it be to do with that?

Get the service request in asap and hopefully you get sorted soon.

This makes me feel much better - thanks so much for taking the time to write the reply :)

Glad to hear you got it sorted as it sounds like exactly the same issue, the car I bought is also second hand.

I’ll update the thread when I find out, I’d be interested to hear if they get back to you with any info though.

Just in case anyone else stumbles across this thread.

I woke up this morning 1 week and 1 day after buying the car and now the app functions perfectly, I think it's something on Tesla's end, perhaps they manually review owner transfers even if they seem to happen instantly.

The app now shows a couple of extra options I didn't have before such as "Charge Stats" and also a few more options under "Security & Drivers" like PIN to Drive that I'm pretty sure wasn't there yesterday.

Reactions: LK06