Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Or perhaps Tesla realizes that the future of the company is in Europe and Asia. Perhaps they have come to the conclusion that with all the push back by the auto dealers, they are limited with respect to how many showrooms, sales stores, etc. they can have in the U.S., which will ultimately limit their growth potential, and as a result they are concentrating on the non-US markets. There are now more non-US superchargers than there are US superchargers, and the gap is getting larger with each passing day.

There are no laws banning Tesla in Canada, yet SpC installation there is as behind schedule as it is in the USA.

Welcome to the Disunited States of America, the land of 52 laws, regulation by government and planning by the free market.

When it comes to Planning and Building Departments, it's different in every town, city, and county within a single state. My two houses are in unincorporated Boulder and Archuleta Counties in Colorado. For a greenhouse in Archuleta County, I needed a permit, but walked into the Building/Planning Office with 3 pages of plans, and walked out with a permit 10 minutes later. In Boulder County, that would have taken weeks, or months. When I mentioned this to Boulder City Planning staff at a pre-application meeting, without breaking stride, they suggested that I should just build the project in Pagosa if I was in a hurry.

I get the feeling that getting Superchargers built in the U.S. is harder in than many other countries except for France where they are putting temporary Superchargers. Either zoning, neighbors, inspectors, or electricity providers - someone is gumming up the works. The staff then has to spend time sorting through those problems rather than working on the next Supercharger.

It's also possible that construction costs are lower in the northern states during the winter, since there's less demand for the crews, and Tesla takes advantage of this in their scheduling. Within limits, trenchers and concrete don't care if there's a foot of snow on the ground, there's less likelihood of weather delays -- and the crews can probably use the work.

It's also possible that construction costs are lower in the northern states during the winter, since there's less demand for the crews, and Tesla takes advantage of this in their scheduling. Within limits, trenchers and concrete don't care if there's a foot of snow on the ground, there's less likelihood of weather delays -- and the crews can probably use the work.
It's not the foot of snow on top of the ground that's the problem, it's the three feet of solid frozen ground beneath it. Then there's the problems of getting concrete to set correctly when temperatures are below 5°C. There's a reason a lot of construction workers have snow-plow attachments for their trucks; that's how they pay the bills in the winter.

It's not the foot of snow on top of the ground that's the problem, it's the three feet of solid frozen ground beneath it. Then there's the problems of getting concrete to set correctly when temperatures are below 5°C. There's a reason a lot of construction workers have snow-plow attachments for their trucks; that's how they pay the bills in the winter.
Three feet of solid frozen ground???

Three feet of solid frozen ground???

Actually, I have found just the opposite. The snow acts as a good insulator, and helps keep the soil from freezing. When the ground is covered well by snow, there is much less, if any, frozen soil under the snow. Many winters at my Pagosa place, it will go weeks without being above freezing and many nights well below 0˚F, -18˚C. When I dig under the snow, the ground at the surface is moist and thawed.

The soil freezes when there is no snow.

30 Superchargers so far in November!

We are slightly past 2/3 of the way into November and there have already been 30 Supercharger openings this month. At this pace, November 2014 will be a record month for openings!!!

• 7 — Asia
  • 8 — North America
  • 15 - Europe

At the current pace, Europe will pass North America in 2015 for total Superchargers. This screenshot is from the "Graphs" tab on Superchargers

Superchargers-Info.png

What is the demand like in Europe compared to NA? SpC dashboard in Hawthorne IIRC shows a couple Norwegian chargers making the top 10, but nothing comes close to beating the overall SpC usage in CA. Are all these chargers actually being utilized?

Looking at the Sc to actual cars in each country it is safe to say that Netherlands and Norway are the only countries that has a high number of cars per Sc. Germany is very overpopulated with 21 Sc for less than 1000 cars. On the other hand there is the chicken and egg situation. Build Scs, then sell cars...

There are approx 1500 model S in NL and 5 Scs.
There are approx 5600 model S in N and 18 Scs, with 2 more in progress.

André

Looking at the Sc to actual cars in each country it is safe to say that Netherlands and Norway are the only countries that has a high number of cars per Sc. Germany is very overpopulated with 21 Sc for less than 1000 cars. On the other hand there is the chicken and egg situation. Build Scs, then sell cars...

There are approx 1500 model S in NL and 5 Scs.
There are approx 5600 model S in N and 18 Scs, with 2 more in progress.

André

CA probably has >10,000 MS and only 18 SpC (and a lot of land to cover that currently is not covered by SpC). Agree that Germany is way overpopulated with SpC. Guess TM is banking on SpC as a marketing tool. Hope it's working out for them. I'd like to see some hard stats.

@Kalud - Yes, Shanghai, being one of the world's most populous cities, is no surprise. However, remember that Hawthorne wasn't even reporting that day due to construction. I bet total # of MS is the LA area far outweighs the number in Shanghai.

I heard from a reliable source that Tesla is starting to out-source production of Supercharger Cabinets.

AFAIK the cabinet production has been outsourced since Day One. An acquaintance of mine runs the Silicon Valley based custom fabrication company that had the original contract. Around the timeframe of the 2nd generation (lighted) cabinet he told me that Tesla had awarded the contract to an outfit in Mexico.

North America
2012: 0 + 0 + 2 + 7 = 9
2013: 0 + 2 + 11 + 28 = 41
2014: 32 + 16 + 19 + 16 = 83
Total: 9 + 41 + 83 = 133

Europe
2013: 0 + 0 + 6 + 8 = 14
2014: 0 + 10 + 46 + 30 = 86
Total: 14 + 86 = 100

Asia
2014: 0 + 3 + 17 + 17 = 37

Global total: 133 + 100 + 37 = 270

2014 total so far: 83 + 86 + 37 = 206

Q1 2014 total: 32 + 0 + 0 = 32
Q2 2014 total: 16 + 10 + 3 = 29
Q3 2014 total: 19 + 46 + 17 = 82
Q4 2014 so far: 16 + 30 + 17 = 63

First half 2014: 32 + 29 = 61
Second half 2014 (so far): 82 + 63 = 145

145 in 145 days, exactly 1 per day, that's extraordinary!!!

Hi from Germany,

that's something we discussed in the German tff-forum.de as well.

But since Germany is a transit country for everybody from north and west if they want to go on holiday (Alps, Italy, Eastern Europe) I guess that Tesla's first goal is "provide the good sales countries the possibility to go on holidays" and the second goal is to finally destroy the German distrust of American made cars by just being far better in everything EV related than what the German car makers are willing to do.

And then, hopefully, Germans will buy Teslas (no federal or state incentives here for buying EVs).

Cheers

Frank

North America
2012: 0 + 0 + 2 + 7 = 9
2013: 0 + 2 + 11 + 28 = 41
2014: 32 + 16 + 19 + 16 = 83
Total: 9 + 41 + 83 = 133

Europe
2013: 0 + 0 + 6 + 8 = 14
2014: 0 + 10 + 46 + 30 = 86
Total: 14 + 86 = 100

Asia
2014: 0 + 3 + 17 + 17 = 37

Global total: 133 + 100 + 37 = 270

2014 total so far: 83 + 86 + 37 = 206

Q1 2014 total: 32 + 0 + 0 = 32
Q2 2014 total: 16 + 10 + 3 = 29
Q3 2014 total: 19 + 46 + 17 = 82
Q4 2014 so far: 16 + 30 + 17 = 63

First half 2014: 32 + 29 = 61
Second half 2014 (so far): 82 + 63 = 145

145 in 145 days, exactly 1 per day, that's extraordinary!!!
Most of the progress in the first half of 2014 went to North America:
North America: 48
Europe: 10
Asia: 3

Most of the progress in the second half of 2014 (so far) went to Europe:
North America: 35
Europe: 76
Asia: 34