Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Starts Charging for Diagnosing Noise Related Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To follow up with the issue. I got the vehicle back and they back out all the charges.
I understand Tesla is facing issue with customers complaining about nuisance noises and trying to eliminate them, while cutting down cost. However, if they keep treating customers with required acknowledgement of paying for diagnostic fee on their still in warranty vehicle will hurt their future sales.
Also I want to ask if anyone experiencing a “clunk” noise coming from the front suspension when go over a bump? SC told me that the noise is normal and I have driven 30+ vehicles so far and non makes that noise other than a civic with suspension issue.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Hi guys-- wondering what the latest here is. I was recently asked to esign a similar pre-bill.

case:
I have had a whistling noise coming from the drivers side door since day one. I had created a service request within the first week that covered a number of items including this one. They said, that they rebuilt the quarter-glass.

However, the problem continues... and I only had a chance to create a new service request now and am now being asked to sign this pre-bill. To be fair, they did say record the noise etc so they don't waste time trying to recreate the condition. Perhaps it's just a way to make sure that it's not a wild goose chase...

I just brought my vehicle in for service. with a lengthy list of issues. A lot of them involves wind noises due to the seals are failing (seal literally falling on the ground when I open the door), suspension, and infamous dreaded shudder issue.
However, it came as a surprise to me when the service adviser indicate that I will have to pay the diagnose fee for all these issues. Pictures below. Does anyone who has their vehicle in service recently experiencing this? My car is only 5 months old so everything should still be under warranty.

I understand that Tesla is trying to get as much money back for their financial future, but this just leave a really bad taste for a customer.

View attachment 402943

View attachment 402946

View attachment 402945

View attachment 402949

View attachment 402950

I scheduled a mobile service call for brakes and was informed a technician would look at it and for the diagnosis there would be a charge unless all work was covered by Warranty. At the end of the call the Service guy didn’t charge me anything to look at the brakes and pronounce them okay.

Hi guys-- wondering what the latest here is. I was recently asked to esign a similar pre-bill.

case:
I have had a whistling noise coming from the drivers side door since day one. I had created a service request within the first week that covered a number of items including this one. They said, that they rebuilt the quarter-glass.

However, the problem continues... and I only had a chance to create a new service request now and am now being asked to sign this pre-bill. To be fair, they did say record the noise etc so they don't waste time trying to recreate the condition. Perhaps it's just a way to make sure that it's not a wild goose chase...

Interesting question. Is it a Tesla-purchased in-warranty vehicle?

I'm also in Raleigh and used the Raleigh SC just a week ago to chase down 5 unique issues in a January 2020 delivery (used) MX. 2 of the issues were wind noise / wind ingress issues on different doors. I was asked for, and provided, recorded videos of the issues ahead of the SC appt. I was not asked to provide any esignature prior to appt nor was a presented with any cost estimate. During the appt they fixed all 5 issues in 1 day, including the wind noises, and provided a $0 line-item invoice at the end of the visit. It was good service start to finish. I'm surprised to hear they are treating anyone else differently.

My MX is actually in service today at Raleigh SC for the MX front shudder issue. Same story, accepted service appointment, no pre-estimate, paperwork, or signature. I don't know if or what they'll do about the issue today, but they certainly didn't ask for anything up front.

Interesting question. Is it a Tesla-purchased in-warranty vehicle?

I'm also in Raleigh and used the Raleigh SC just a week ago to chase down 5 unique issues in a January 2020 delivery (used) MX. 2 of the issues were wind noise / wind ingress issues on different doors. I was asked for, and provided, recorded videos of the issues ahead of the SC appt. I was not asked to provide any esignature prior to appt nor was a presented with any cost estimate. During the appt they fixed all 5 issues in 1 day, including the wind noises, and provided a $0 line-item invoice at the end of the visit. It was good service start to finish. I'm surprised to hear they are treating anyone else differently.

My MX is actually in service today at Raleigh SC for the MX front shudder issue. Same story, accepted service appointment, no pre-estimate, paperwork, or signature. I don't know if or what they'll do about the issue today, but they certainly didn't ask for anything up front.

Hi ReachX, this is a brand new X. So yes to in-warranty. Purchased in Dec 2019.

...Raleigh SC...
I also have to give credit to the Raleigh SC. I have been in and out of there several times with noise issues, and they have treated me right.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm annoyed that Tesla as a company are rolling out expensive cars that have these annoyances that customers have to deal with. My Nissan Leaf is 3 years old, has 53,000 miles on it, and is whisper quiet just like the day I bought it, and cost a quarter of what my MX did. So that's a big WTF to Tesla as a company. But, the guys that run the Raleigh SC deserve a huge high five for stepping up and taking care of things. (Things which shouldn't be problems in the first place... But I've made my point)

It probably comes down to luck of the draw, some SC's are good, some not so good. I wouldn't be surprised if, like others have said, Tesla adopted these policies somewhat defensively. At the same time, their cars do seem to have fit and finish issues, and they need to take care of that.

Bottom line, I can only speak to my own experience, and at Raleigh, it's been good.