Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Assistance requested identifying noise from axle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello!

Coming to the forum for help. I have brought my car in 6 times to look at this issue now and each time they return the car to me with the same issue.

There is a creaking noise coming form he back left wheel when accelerating/decelerating. In the last few visits the service center has replaced the half shaft and hub (or at least the invoice says the did). I am starting to think the issue might be with the suspension?

Over the past 6 visits I am having a hard time figuring our if the service center just doesnt care and prioritizes high volume of cars serviced, or if they too really can't identify the issue. I am willing to take the car in for a 7th visit but its getting a little ridiculous with them.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Here is a link to the sounds. Videos are from last summer but it is the same sound even now.

🙏

Hello!

Coming to the forum for help. I have brought my car in 6 times to look at this issue now and each time they return the car to me with the same issue.

There is a creaking noise coming form he back left wheel when accelerating/decelerating. In the last few visits the service center has replaced the half shaft and hub (or at least the invoice says the did). I am starting to think the issue might be with the suspension?

Over the past 6 visits I am having a hard time figuring our if the service center just doesnt care and prioritizes high volume of cars serviced, or if they too really can't identify the issue. I am willing to take the car in for a 7th visit but its getting a little ridiculous with them.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Here is a link to the sounds. Videos are from last summer but it is the same sound even now.
I'll be honest, I could not hear anything in your videos that sounded remotely like your reported symptoms. Mostly wind noise in the first, the others nothing but normal Tesla Silence AFAICT.

I'll be honest, I could not hear anything in your videos that sounded remotely like your reported symptoms. Mostly wind noise in the first, the others nothing but normal Tesla Silence AFAICT.
The wind is certainly the most loud in the video, i couldn't get the camera up to the wheel well easily. Its the sound that sounds like a bunch of small metal ball bearings dropping on concrete.

If there was an engine running nearby, do you think you could hear it? IOW, would the noise be audible if the vehicle had an ICE?
Certainly in both scenarios, yes.
It is best audible when listening in the video pulling up the driveway.
I am surprised you can't hear it?

Edit - I removed the two videos where it was not overwhelmingly apparent - the only video at that link now makes it very obvious what the noise is. And thats the sound from inside the cabin. It is much louder outside.

Just looking for some friendly advise on what the cause may be as the service center is having difficulties identifying it as well :)