Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The mere fact it attempted and did a reasonable job of it is fantastic.
I don't think it was a difficult park. Any reasonably competent human driver would be able to park there easily with the standard aids. The car also did not perform a repositioning after reversing into the bay to correct the position relative to the parking bay lines. That's what a human would do - well at least some. Yes I know, some would think the final position is acceptable.

If a human left the car like that I would give it a C.

For an autonomous system using vision only, I say it's pretty impressive.
I think that is the disconnect that happens in a lot of these discussions. On the one hand "Holy moley, look at the robot parking itself!". On the other hand "There is no way I would consider that a good job of parking a car. It was slow and inaccurate and I would be worried to trust it to park without damaging something."

It is ok to be impressed by how far the technology has come without thinking it is sufficient for the task at hand.

I think that is the disconnect that happens in a lot of these discussions. On the one hand "Holy moley, look at the robot parking itself!". On the other hand "There is no way I would consider that a good job of parking a car. It was slow and inaccurate and I would be worried to trust it to park without damaging something."

It is ok to be impressed by how far the technology has come without thinking it is sufficient for the task at hand.
If you have a look on YouTube where there are people trying to park cars in very simple places and failing miserably including damaging other cars, the Tesla autonomous parking is really good in comparison.

Just visit any metro carpark and you might see some examples, mine is a shocker! That’s why I don’t park my car there

There are also examples of people trialling FSD doing full trips including parking which looks really good too.

I’d say it’s pretty amazing, perfectly imperfect and is probably better than most (not all) humans ;)

Taking the “I” out of the equation helps as ones persons standard is different to others so to say that something isn’t “good enough for me” shouldn’t right it off as it might be next level for the next person, whether they don’t have as good parking skills or they are living with a mobility or other challenges.
For them, to be able to get out of the house far out weighs an extra 30 seconds for the car to park itself, or be a cm left or right.

I agree, damaging other cars has to be prevented but I haven’t seen that happen in these videos (which doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen, it just hasn’t been posted haha)

Just visit any metro carpark and you might see some examples, mine is a shocker!
Exactly, and the last thing I want is to pay $$,$$$ for something that does the same, only for me to have to make the final adjustment.

If I have to do it I'll keep the $$,$$$ thanks.

Usually this is caused by something called hyperbole. Critical thinking goes out the window when hyperbole abounds

Replace the human with something better?. Sure. But asking the human to spend $$,$$$ on something that does not surpass human ability while also requiring said human to supervise it and be prepared to immediately take over?. No.

If you have a look on YouTube where there are people trying to park cars in very simple places and failing miserably including damaging other cars, the Tesla autonomous parking is really good in comparison.

Just visit any metro carpark and you might see some examples, mine is a shocker! That’s why I don’t park my car there

There are also examples of people trialling FSD doing full trips including parking which looks really good too.

I’d say it’s pretty amazing, perfectly imperfect and is probably better than most (not all) humans ;)

Taking the “I” out of the equation helps as ones persons standard is different to others so to say that something isn’t “good enough for me” shouldn’t right it off as it might be next level for the next person, whether they don’t have as good parking skills or they are living with a mobility or other challenges.
For them, to be able to get out of the house far out weighs an extra 30 seconds for the car to park itself, or be a cm left or right.

I agree, damaging other cars has to be prevented but I haven’t seen that happen in these videos (which doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen, it just hasn’t been posted haha)
I think the danger is someone with mobility challenges starts to think that an FSD tesla is an autonomous tesla. Further someone with such challenges in Australia would usually have a disabled tag for their car and get a 3.5m wide car space.

Reactions: dronus

This is exactly how I think, yes, its impressive, yet totally useless at the same time. Better use of Tesla resources to me is expanding their market making excellent EVs. Self parking cars don't help any much at all. This is also why I see money spent on the development of the Cybertruck and Roadster also distractions from more Superchargers and Model "2" Development.

Reactions: paulp and dronus
I think the danger is someone with mobility challenges starts to think that an FSD tesla is an autonomous tesla. Further someone with such challenges in Australia would usually have a disabled tag for their car and get a 3.5m wide car space.
Maybe in time it can find them a 3.5m wide car space :)

The self driving then parking at the end of this was pretty good

Other brands do that level of 90 degree self parking. Good that tesla has caught up.
Yeah my Calais was awesome at it, you could tell it 90deg or parallel on either side of the car. Nailed it every time.

I was a bit confused when looking at the model 3 that it didn’t do that.. I thought the demo car I drove had parking but I guess maybe they trick them up?

Reactions: paulp
Yeah my Calais was awesome at it, you could tell it 90deg or parallel on either side of the car. Nailed it every time.

I was a bit confused when looking at the model 3 that it didn’t do that.. I thought the demo car I drove had parking but I guess maybe they trick them up?
So you are saying tesla has caught up to an Adelaide made holden?

• Funny
Reactions: dronus