Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla should stop wasting $100s on Uber credits and offer customers the choice to wait

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love the people at my local service center but I wish they would allow customers the option of waiting at the service center for work being performed than offer up $100s in Uber credit for each day the car is in service. It's a waste of money for Tesla, especially if a customer wouldn't mind waiting for the car to get done.

My Service Center is about a 45 minute drive so it's an hour and half gone each time I need to visit the Service Center. What I would love to do is visit the Service Center in the morning, open up my laptop and get work done, and pick up the car when it is done and just drive home.

Otherwise I end up spending an entire 3 hours in transit to and from the service center and it costs Tesla money unnecessarily. When scheduling service, I wish they at least had an option where you can indicate your preference for waiting for the wok to get done. After setting up the appointment, I tried having them do the work while I wait but they didn't seem to like that option.

As Tesla gets more efficient, I wish they'd focus on performing service jobs while customers wait rather than wasting money on Uber credits. Wish the App had an option for customer preference for Uber credit or wait at the service center. I'd rather get some work done at the service enter than waste time in a Uber.

They can use the money they save on Uber to stock parts or hire people to answer the phone... :D:p

I love the people at my local service center but I wish they would allow customers the option of waiting at the service center for work being performed than offer up $100s in Uber credit for each day the car is in service. It's a waste of money for Tesla, especially if a customer wouldn't mind waiting for the car to get done.

My Service Center is about a 45 minute drive so it's an hour and half gone each time I need to visit the Service Center. What I would love to do is visit the Service Center in the morning, open up my laptop and get work done, and pick up the car when it is done and just drive home.

Otherwise I end up spending an entire 3 hours in transit to and from the service center and it costs Tesla money unnecessarily. When scheduling service, I wish they at least had an option where you can indicate your preference for waiting for the wok to get done. After setting up the appointment, I tried having them do the work while I wait but they didn't seem to like that option.

As Tesla gets more efficient, I wish they'd focus on performing service jobs while customers wait rather than wasting money on Uber credits. Wish the App had an option for customer preference for Uber credit or wait at the service center. I'd rather get some work done at the service enter than waste time in a Uber.

They can use the money they save on Uber to stock parts or hire people to answer the phone... :D:p
Usually Tesla does not work on your car for next ~ 2-3 days so uber credits. Rather they should spend that money on increasing staff but I am sure it's even more than uber credits.

They only pay for the credits if you use them.

Must be a local SC thing because mine has always been happy to confirm work will be done in a single day (to be fair I drive in from 150 miles away so maybe they treat me a bit differently for that). I’ve just sat there once or twice in the customer lounge with a laptop and done exactly what you describe.

That said, this is indeed an older service location that has a supercharger and used to be a showroom, so they are probably set up a bit differently than others.

• Informative
Reactions: Galve2000
I live in Tucson, AZ. Until recently there wasn't a Tucson Service Center. The closest one was in Tempe or Scottsdale, which is about 2 hours away. When visiting those far away Service Centers, I always opted to stay there while the work was done (unless it was overnight, in which case they provided loaners). The Service Centers have nice waiting areas that are equipped with restrooms, wifi, drinks and kids play areas. I've visited the Tucson Service Center also, and opted to wait for my repairs. It too has a nice waiting area. Maybe your Service Center in not set up that way? Also, many of the smaller repairs have been handled by my local Tesla Mobile Service.

They give you so many Uber credits, you can never use them all. I used Uber Comfort and still barely made a dent in the amount they give you.

Really depends on the number trips you have to take and how far away you are... For me, the credits will barely cover my trip to and back from home.

Still I think it's a waste of my time and Tesla's money when I can be more productive with my laptop and phone at the Service Center.

Reactions: JenkinsEar
Usually Tesla does not work on your car for next ~ 2-3 days so uber credits. Rather they should spend that money on increasing staff but I am sure it's even more than uber credits.

Then why schedule appointments 2-3 days before they can work on your car? They can save everyone money, time, and hassle by rescheduling you for 2 days later. What I'm saying is this current system primes service center for inefficiency when they accept cars that will sit there for a while before they can work on them when they can reschedule the customer to bring the car in later.

I think they are simply too busy and never know how long it's going to take. I was told on my last visit that they may finish it that day or perhaps the next. Turned out they took 2 days, but I suspect they would rather have more vehicles than they can get to rather than not enough so they err on the side of too many.

Reactions: Russell
I live in Tucson, AZ. Until recently there wasn't a Tucson Service Center. The closest one was in Tempe or Scottsdale, which is about 2 hours away. When visiting those far away Service Centers, I always opted to stay there while the work was done (unless it was overnight, in which case they provided loaners). The Service Centers have nice waiting areas that are equipped with restrooms, wifi, drinks and kids play areas. I've visited the Tucson Service Center also, and opted to wait for my repairs. It too has a nice waiting area. Maybe your Service Center in not set up that way? Also, many of the smaller repairs have been handled by my local Tesla Mobile Service.

They are setup for customers waiting but just doesn't seem to encourage this option when I feel they should actively encourage this option and work to get cars in and out the same day, when possible.

Especially with loaners cars no longer a thing, and Uber credits barely covering my ride to and from home, I'd rather wait for my car.

I think they are simply too busy and never know how long it's going to take. I was told on my last visit that they may finish it that day or perhaps the next. Turned out they took 2 days, but I suspect they would rather have more vehicles than they can get to rather than not enough so they err on the side of too many.

So they should maybe do a combination of both.

Have "express Lanes" for customers who are waiting and have an appointment and then fill up the rest of the time with cars that were "dropped off."

So far I think only once they were able to do the work while I waited (most likely they would have provided a loaner). I think depending on type of repair work is and if they have parts on hand etc. service centers are always backed up. I think Tesla app scheduling should be in sync with a particular service center in real time.
You know all these could easily be fixed if they have a live person who can book appointments and is up to date with technicians about existing repairs.

• Love
Reactions: PhilDavid
So far I think only once they were able to do the work while I waited (most likely they would have provided a loaner). I think depending on type of repair work is and if they have parts on hand etc. service centers are always backed up. I think Tesla app scheduling should be in sync with a particular service center in real time.
You know all these could easily be fixed if they have a live person who can book appointments and is up to date with technicians about existing repairs.

I completely agree. Not being able to speak with a live person really makes things miserable for customers who need service.

Even if they call me the day before I can delay bringing my car in if they backed up.

To have lower costs and to serve the largest number of customers, it makes sense to always have a queue of cars available for a mechanic to work on. This generally means that cars are going to sit there for longer than they are being worked on.
Also, there may be multiple queues for multiple workstream (i.e. glass replacement, body work, electronics, etc).
And there's always the situation when parts aren't readily available.

It's far from the best experience, but it is what it is.

I think another issue is that if you are having three problems dealt with they can’t tell when the people that fix those issues are free. Say one is an alignment, one is an AP issue, and one is an inspection, they could all be different people with different backlogs. It’s taken several days for me the last couple of times either car was in.

And yeah neither time did they start the same day.

I’m due in 12/2 when at least they have a new process.

You drive your car inside again. (Didn’t last time, had reserved numbered spot and drop box.) Then you check yourself in on a terminal. (This should be interesting.) Then you will actually get to discuss your issue with someone in person and even demo the problem if needed. That’s a change from the last couple of times.

This is Tyson’s in NoVa, no idea if this is a new process everywhere or what. But sounds like an improvement to getting the details to the tech at least.

The appointment arrangement is the same through the app and the pre-setup. Got all the above in an email.

In the "old days" waiting was possible, plus they usually started working on your car the day you dropped it off. Then Elon innovated. Much like his application of web app development agile process to automotive software and hardware development, he's now applying consumer electronics RMA process to service. Consumer electronics RMA process is you mail it in, it sits on a shelf in line for a tech to fix it, then they mail it back to you. The new Tesla process is: you schedule an appointment, they triage your car on admission, then the car is put in a parking lot queue to wait to get into the shop, which may take few days.

This is not sarcasm by the way, this is the process which was explained to me last time I made an appointment a month in advance for a one hour repair, and then when I dropped the car off I asked "Why 1-3 days estimate for a 1hr job? Can I just schedule a time and wait for it to be done?". That is where they explained to me the new process. According to the app by the way, the car was fixed around midnight, so they must have a night shift. I picked it up the next day, so on the low end of the 1-3 day estimate. Still, they had to pay for day of an enterprise rental (which was the only choice for a loaner, 2 vans left, then nothing for the next customer after that - enterprise ran out of loaners for Tesla).

Maybe running 24/7 repairs from a queue adds more efficiency than the queuing system costs (i.e. the loaners and uber costs)?

• Informative
Reactions: David99
I think another issue is that if you are having three problems dealt with they can’t tell when the people that fix those issues are free. Say one is an alignment, one is an AP issue, and one is an inspection, they could all be different people with different backlogs.

Ah! Yet another benefit (for Tesla) of using the consumer electronics RMA process - no need for a live person to triage/pre-diagnose the car when scheduling the appointment. Just schedule to put it in the parking lot, and a tech will get to it when they are free, if they are not qualified to do the repair, note it down and stick it back in the parking lot queue.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva