Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla reportedly raises the model S price to $75,000

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anybody know if the high power wall connector is necessary or would one be able to get by with just the universal connector?
I don't have my Roadster yet but talked with one owner who said he wishes he'd just bought the universal mobile connector alone instead of with the high power connector since they both charge in almost the same time (I think 2 hours is the smallest difference which is usually fine for most people charging overnight).

Does anybody know if the high power wall connector is necessary or would one be able to get by with just the universal connector?

I only bought a mobile charger (in my case the Roadster Foundry one) and I'm happy I did. There's very little use for high power charging at home, since when you're there you're likely to be there overnight and there's plenty of time to charge even at lower power. Where it's useful is on the road when you care about charging time since you're likely to be waiting.

Many forum members have indicated that even with the HPC or the Mobile Connector, they don't charge it at maximum amperage. Apparently slower charging results in better battery life. As a result, both the HPC and the Mobile Connector are over-kill for most people. So, I have concluded that the HPC would be useful for a household that has 2 EV's sharing the same charger.

Mods: Sorry, we have gotten way off topic and I know this was discussed in one of the many charging topics.