Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla drops prices on X/S $20k. All colors free. Bye bye resale

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you buy a car at a higher price and have an insurance covered accident, you will get less for your car than you paid for it, but also pay less for the replacement vehicle. The Delta will be similar as if there was no price cut.
Same thing happens when you trade in your Tesla for another Tesla.

If prices go up, then you most likely will recieve more for your last car, and pay more for your new car.

Biggest issue for Tesla is whether to charge more for their cars , and get more profit from each car, or charge less and make more profit from volume and scale.
When batteries are in short supply, it makes more sense for them to charge higher prices, but when components become cheaper and more available, they will probably switch to a higher volume/lower profit per car strategy.

An easy claim to make when you scope the argument to MSRP - an artificial distinction. Plenty of other cars transacted for roughly equivalent discounts on a percentage basis over the same period.

It’s also worth noting you can only get to “$50k” in reductions if you conveniently ignore the $20k in price increases that happened at the beginning of the bubble to paint the desired picture. And the Plaid was brand new when it came out for $120k in 2021, so of course was riding the hype wave at the beginning. Even without Covid bubbles, history tells us the price was always gonna come down lower than that as production ramped up and hype wore off. Just ask all those people who paid $160k for a P100D.

Again - if you’re blaming Tesla for selling cars at prices people will actually pay, you aren’t being honest with yourself.
The MSRP change is what ****ed everyone’s resale. Had it just been “market adjustments” without changing the actual MSRP, the resale wouldn’t be impacted nearly as much. But Tesla knew had they been more transparent about that, they would have had a harder time conning their customers.

Reactions: aerodyne
The MSRP change is what ****ed everyone’s resale. Had it just been “market adjustments” without changing the actual MSRP, the resale wouldn’t be impacted nearly as much.
What evidence do you have to support this claim?

You’re basically suggesting the entire used car market is fooled by opaque dealer pricing games and that people have no idea what cars are actually transacting for and what they’re worth because of an arbitrary number on a window sticker.

That’s just plain magical thinking.

An easy claim to make when you scope the argument to MSRP - an artificial distinction. Plenty of other cars transacted for roughly equivalent discounts on a percentage basis over the same period.

It’s also worth noting you can only get to “$50k” in reductions if you conveniently ignore the $20k in price increases that happened at the beginning of the bubble to paint the desired picture. And the Plaid was brand new when it came out for $120k in 2021, so of course was riding the hype wave at the beginning. Even without Covid bubbles, history tells us the price was always gonna come down lower than that as production ramped up and hype wore off. Just ask all those people who paid $160k for a P100D.

Again - if you’re blaming Tesla for selling cars at prices people will actually pay, you aren’t being honest with yourself.

Yup. My MXP was $118K in early January 2022. The new base price just 2 months later was $138K and stayed that way for almost a year. I was long into pursuing a buyback before the price started dropping again. Thank goodness the repurchase was based on what I paid and not the new $110K price price by the time the buyback finished. Then it dropped another $20K. Bullet dodged.

I stand by my claim that no other manufacturer has dropped their MSRP by $50k over such a short period of time.

That's because Tesla sells direct and doesn't negotiate pricing. There's no middle man to hide transparency on pricing like you have with the dealer model. On the back end, Tesla also moves 10x faster than everyone else making many changes within a model year and constantly changing suppliers and pricing.

But I agree that from a customer perspective, having your brand new Tesla lose half it's value in a year sucks, but that also happened to the other EV brands. Was Tesla the first mover on pricing? Yes, but everyone else followed with similar percentage decreases even if those weren't fully baked into the advertised MSRPs.

What evidence do you have to support this claim?

You’re basically suggesting the entire used car market is fooled by opaque dealer pricing games and that people have no idea what cars are actually transacting for and what they’re worth because of an arbitrary number on a window sticker.

That’s just plain magical thinking.
The evidence is other cars' resale values not dropping as drastically.

What point are you even arguing? Most EVs sold for MSRP, which went up, down and sideways from the manufacturer. I guess you think there is zero correlation between new pricing and used pricing?
Nah dawg, I’m with you. I was being facetious.

Others in this thread are arguing that Tesla was a complete outlier and voluntarily dropped prices to sell cars for way less than necessary just to screw customers that bought at the top of the bubble.

My point is that’s absurd and the people mad at Tesla are mad at the wrong party.