Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla punches my ticket

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

T34ME

Mar 31, 2016
Inland Empire
I am a day one, online reservationist. I was waiting for the model 3SR. BUT, the model 3MR really fits my needs better and I am now guarantied the full tax credit. I placed my order tonight:

3MR, 18" aeros, basic black, PUP, wht. int., EAP = $51K
Delivery in 4-6 weeks (I expect 4 weeks, but hope it is 6 weeks due to vacation plans)
Delivery at Cathedral City Serv. Ctr.
Car name - "TUX" (tuxedo)

i realize that the 3MR may not be the "best bang for the buck," but I am more interested in what is best for me and not worry about a few bucks one way or the other.

IN MY OPINION, I think that either the 3MR or the 3SR will become a unicorn with a short model run. But who knows with Tesla's wild marketing methods. Regardless, I am happy that the 3MR is available now because it ticks all my boxes. And I will get all the Fed., State, and Utility rebates and credits which amount to $10,450 in my neck of the woods.

Teslaquila shots are on my tab tonight. Drink up enthusiasts!

I am a day one, online reservationist. I was waiting for the model 3SR. BUT, the model 3MR really fits my needs better and I am now guarantied the full tax credit. I placed my order tonight:

T34ME,

Congrats! Enjoy your now ride.

You will be glad you pulled the trigger! I suspect the base SR will be very stripped down, and you would want the PUP in any regard, so $5k for more range, acceleration, and no worries about expiring incentives sounds smart. Good luck!!!

Tomas,

I agree. The base SR will be stripped down with only the standard options of Color, Wheels, EAP, and FSD (If re-enabled) to simplify the manufacturing. No Premium Upgrade Package, Dual Motor, or any larger battery options. The MR and LR will still be available as part of four trims.

SR, $35K = RWD, 220 Mile range
MR, $45K = RWD, 260 Mile range + PUP
LR, $54K = AWD, 310 Mile range + PUP
P-LR, $64K = AWD, 310 Mile range + PUP + Performance (Track Mode)

T34ME,

Tomas,

I agree. The base SR will be stripped down with only the standard options of Color, Wheels, EAP, and FSD (If re-enabled) to simplify the manufacturing. No Premium Upgrade Package, Dual Motor, or any larger battery options. The MR and LR will still be available as part of four trims.

LR, $54K = AWD, 310 Mile range + PUP
I don't think so.
Tesla will more than likely sell the SR with PUP first to up the margins.
They say the SR version will be available in 4-6 months, but it doesn't mean it will be the $35,000 version.
Why not make a few more people stump up another $5,000 for PUP if you can?
They'll also sell it with AWD, did you notice the "215-220 miles" they had on their website a while ago? That's for DM.
I'm not poking Tesla, it's just common business sense that they have used many times before.

Just as the midrange batteries have disappeared on the S and X, I suspect that the midrange battery is just an interim step on the Model 3’s march towards the $35k model and it will go away entirely when the short range battery can be part of a profitable configuration.
Why? I think they’ll never offer the 35k SR with a lot of options. The optioned up version will be the MR. we shall see.

You will be glad you pulled the trigger! I suspect the base SR will be very stripped down, and you would want the PUP in any regard, so $5k for more range, acceleration, and no worries about expiring incentives sounds smart. Good luck!!!
And if you do qualify for the full $7,500 credit, the difference will end up being only $1,250.

T34ME,

Tomas,

LR, $54K = AWD, 334 Mile range + PUP
334, not 310

I hope they can engineer and deliver what amounts to a new battery design in a matter of 6-10 weeks. I know it's the old assembly with fewer cells, but there are still a bunch of details involved in making the change and receiving the full federal tax incentive depends on Tesla coming through with what they are promising, when they are promising it. That's not a very comforting thought.
Fingers crossed,
Robin

Why? I think they’ll never offer the 35k SR with a lot of options. The optioned up version will be the MR. we shall see.

Pretty easy math here.

They're now offering the MR version to get people to jump who were waiting on SR, for 10k more than the "base" 35k model but getting a $7500 tax credit....so they can say "Ah, for just $2500, why not get more range AND the PUP?"

Early next year they introduce the SR, but still requiring PUP, for 5k more than the "base" model but getting a $3750 tax credit... so they can say "Ah, for just $1250 more I get PUP!"

Only after every other demand lever is exhausted to sell a more expensive one will they go through the trouble and cost to retool assembly for non-PUP cars and offer the real "base" 35k model.

I don't like how Tesla is requiring the cars to be built with certain options. If it is REQUIRED, then it is not very OPTIONAL, isn't it?

And it'll be a real insult if the base $35K car is required to have the PUP package, which isn't very useful. A different radio, a glass roof, and fake leather seats, I would not have missed any of those things when ordering my car if I could have gotten the basic interior and metal roof.

What's next? The Atari games are only available on P3D cars with EAP? That's the kind of BS Tesla is pulling here.

I hope they can engineer and deliver what amounts to a new battery design in a matter of 6-10 weeks. I know it's the old assembly with fewer cells, but there are still a bunch of details involved in making the change and receiving the full federal tax incentive depends on Tesla coming through with what they are promising, when they are promising it. That's not a very comforting thought.
Fingers crossed,
Robin

It is highly likely they have already built and tested them. The idea that they are just now going to start assembling them, testing them, validating them, crash testing them, and that they will have them in the hands of consumers in 4 weeks seems highly unlikely.

image.png
W

Well if Tesla wants to continue frustrating their customers by over promising and under delivering then by all means they can announce the product now and hope they can ship before the end of the year.
I hope so too.
Robin

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod