Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners in Alberta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
YYeah you dont need to heat the garage at all with a pre warmed car waiting for you ;-) I cant wait till i can just jump in and go instead of idling an ICE in the garage for a minute or so stinking up the garage and of course the atmosphere

I will be jealously watching for you guys with your new 85Ds

Am also interested in the NEMA setups you are putting in, obviously want to do the same myself

How much did it cost to get the main service upgraded if you don't mind my asking?

I'll let you know once it's done. I had to rewire half my garage at the same time because I wanted more lights and plugs so it's part of a bigger project. Because I'm in the inner-city and have a back lane with overhead power lines, the upgrade is going to be very inexpensive (he said a few hundred bucks from Enmax) but the panel upgrade to 200A plus the wiring to the other end of the garage with the fat 3-phase wire will be more costly. Overall much less than I thought.

I had another contractor do it - he had just done some work in our home. He is a huge Tesla fan and this was as fun for him as it was for me :). PM me and I can certainly pass on his information. He is a pretty low-key electrician and fair on pricing.

I'll let you know once it's done. I had to rewire half my garage at the same time because I wanted more lights and plugs so it's part of a bigger project. Because I'm in the inner-city and have a back lane with overhead power lines, the upgrade is going to be very inexpensive (he said a few hundred bucks from Enmax) but the panel upgrade to 200A plus the wiring to the other end of the garage with the fat 3-phase wire will be more costly. Overall much less than I thought.

I had another contractor do it - he had just done some work in our home. He is a huge Tesla fan and this was as fun for him as it was for me :). PM me and I can certainly pass on his information. He is a pretty low-key electrician and fair on pricing.

I guess my answer is that you have overhead power lines. The issue here is for any of us where the power lines are buried. This seems ridiculous to me as underground power lines is an evolution from overhead power lines that we would end up with something much less flexible - clearly very little foresight. I know little or nothing about underground cabling but I think there are likely a variety of ways that this kind of thing could be future proofed.

I guess my answer is that you have overhead power lines. The issue here is for any of us where the power lines are buried. This seems ridiculous to me as underground power lines is an evolution from overhead power lines that we would end up with something much less flexible - clearly very little foresight. I know little or nothing about underground cabling but I think there are likely a variety of ways that this kind of thing could be future proofed.
I know a fair amount about underground wiring (mostly on the telecom side rather than power, but a lot of the same principles apply). There is a way it could have been future proofed. They could have buried the wire in conduit, however that's not the normal method due to significant costs. My understanding is that in the new communities the wire being buried can handle 200A service even if the panel and meter being installed can not, which means the upgrade should be easy. However I don't know what the cut-off date is for "new" community, nor do I know for certain that they actually are doing this at all.

I know a fair amount about underground wiring (mostly on the telecom side rather than power, but a lot of the same principles apply). There is a way it could have been future proofed. They could have buried the wire in conduit, however that's not the normal method due to significant costs. My understanding is that in the new communities the wire being buried can handle 200A service even if the panel and meter being installed can not, which means the upgrade should be easy. However I don't know what the cut-off date is for "new" community, nor do I know for certain that they actually are doing this at all.

My electrician mentioned something about this too. He said that the Enmax line actually didn't need to be upsized, it was just the cable from the home that attaches to the Enmax line (between Enmax and my panel) that needed to be upgraded (including the little periscope that comes up from the garage) and that is where the cost was. In the suburbs, though, it is possible that the developer ties in the electrical to the main service to the home where in my lane Enmax comes off the main line then connects to my garage (then from garage in to the home).

I could have gone with a 220V (I think??) and not upsized but wanted to take full advantage of the HPWC so I went for the max juice! Garage tour this spring :).

i used to be in telecoms but more on the switching side. My house was built in 89 but according to my electrician 150 amps is as high as I can go with the existing feed.

i used to be in telecoms but more on the switching side. My house was built in 89 but according to my electrician 150 amps is as high as I can go with the existing feed.

Is he talking about the feed into the panel or the feed from Enmax (or are they one in the same)? I have Enmax from the pole to just outside my garage, then they transition to my line which goes into the panel. After reading all of this, I consider myself fortunate to have such simple access to my electrical.

Is he talking about the feed into the panel or the feed from Enmax (or are they one in the same)? I have Enmax from the pole to just outside my garage, then they transition to my line which goes into the panel. After reading all of this, I consider myself fortunate to have such simple access to my electrical.

The line that comes into my meter from the enmax transormer is allegedly only capable of 150 amps. I think from there into my house and my panel could all handle more potentially.

This is the difference between buried and aerial installations. In buried areas you have one line from the transformer all the way to the meter, it is owned by Enmax and has no other splices. After the meter is the customer's problem. In aerial applications the transformer splices on to the distribution cables along the aerial stand and then a drop wire is spliced on to that distribution line that goes to the weather head at the top of the conduit sticking out of the house or garage. Then it splices to customer supplied wiring that feeds down to the meter and from there in to the house. So in an aerial area there are multiple different pieces whereas in a buried area it's fewer. You can have anyone you want upgrade the stuff inside your house up to the back of the meter, but only Enmax can deal with the meter or out from there.

- - - Updated - - -

Good to hear, mine is field side "installation and repair"and now quality assurance.

The line that comes into my meter from the enmax transormer is allegedly only capable of 150 amps. I think from there into my house and my panel could all handle more potentially.

Consider yourself lucky! My house was built in 1995 and the line coming in can only handle 100 amps. When we bought the house and renovated it the contractors were shocked that a 3500 sqft house had such a small line. We actually had to modify some of our appliance choices due to the limited power. No sauna, and no induction cooktop. First world problems but it means even a 15-50 plug is iffy for me.

Consider yourself lucky! My house was built in 1995 and the line coming in can only handle 100 amps. When we bought the house and renovated it the contractors were shocked that a 3500 sqft house had such a small line. We actually had to modify some of our appliance choices due to the limited power. No sauna, and no induction cooktop. First world problems but it means even a 15-50 plug is iffy for me.
Yeah I saw your earlier post and your situation is similar in the sense of a ludicrous quote from enmax. I'm definitely lucky that I have 150 amp though I think I have enough electric appliances to warrant 200 amps. My electrician told me I was lucky to have 150 which surprised me. I wonder who makes the decision regarding capacity, the developer or Enmax? I guess here in alberta we are supposed to use as much gas as possible :)

Careful because I heard that once the inspector sees/hears "electric car" they demand a load calculation on the entire home (I had to do this) and assumes that the car is charging while you're in the middle of Christmas dinner with all the lights on LOL. I didn't want to argue the point so just beefed up my service. Good to have the juice in the garage for resale I suppose in case someone wants to use it as a shop?

Didn't realize it was so cold outside today so I didn't bother to plug the car in at work today. After 9 hours of sitting outside, when I got in to drive home I was welcomed to a power limit of ~45KW. Drawing 7-8KW for heating left very little power for warp drive, not that I did more than 15km/h on deerfoot anyway :) We had colder days last winter and never say this level of power limiting so I'm assuming the wind today must have been the difference?

asdbimage.jpeg

Didn't realize it was so cold outside today so I didn't bother to plug the car in at work today. After 9 hours of sitting outside, when I got in to drive home I was welcomed to a power limit of ~45KW. Drawing 7-8KW for heating left very little power for warp drive, not that I did more than 15km/h on deerfoot anyway :) We had colder days last winter and never say this level of power limiting so I'm assuming the wind today must have been the difference?

View attachment 64759

It it was nasty out there today. I did a lot of driving. Talking to a client who has a Mercedes SL63 AMG and loves the torque so we got talking about the Tesla. Will have to find an abandoned piece of road somewhere this summer to play a bit ;)

-36c I heard

Wind will chill the car out very quickly. If it's not windy the car may not fully chill to ambient while parked, and you won't get as big a power reduction.

Of course it won't get any colder than ambient, but you get significant power limits when the car is fully chilled to -10C.

wind chill does not affect anything that isn't in the process of generating it's own heat. So while parked without pre-heating the wind chill would do nothing. That said, it will make it take more energy to raise the temperature once you try to do that. And yes, it was nasty out. On the bright side, you don't need lots of power when traffic is doing 10km/h

Wind chill certainly does affect the car after you drive it to work. It's nice and toasty from (a) being stored in a protected garage and then (b) being driven so the battery and drive train warm up. At that point the wind most certainly does matter.

The Roadster has a less exposed battery pack; it won't even fully cold soak during a day at work unless there's a strong wind. The Model S chills out much faster than the Roadster, but in strong winds it's very quick. There's no insulation on the exposed bottom of the battery pack.