Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners in Alberta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah they claimed they needed to increase the line to the meter from the transformer. Still it's a ludicrous amount of money. If memory serves, if I wanted a proper quote they wanted to charge me. They seemed strangely disinterested in helping me to consume more electricity.

I'm in the same boat. We only have 100amps and Enmax quoted me $35-40k for upgrading service. They need to cut through our neighbors driveway.

Has anyone looked at this: EV Charger Powershare Electric Vehicle Charging Station | EVSE LLC

Seems like a good option. My electrician said I can get away with a 30amp charger at this point but a 50amp plug would be really pushing it.

Ughhh. I hope I'm going to be okay. I'm currently building a house and the lot we picked only has 100A service. There were a few with 150A, but not in the area we wanted. I've requested a separate 50A panel to the garage and an 50A outlet so I can install a NEMA 14-50, but it sounds like I'll have to be a bit careful in terms of whatever else is on in the house?

Ughhh. I hope I'm going to be okay. I'm currently building a house and the lot we picked only has 100A service. There were a few with 150A, but not in the area we wanted. I've requested a separate 50A panel to the garage and an 50A outlet so I can install a NEMA 14-50, but it sounds like I'll have to be a bit careful in terms of whatever else is on in the house?

We have a 100A service and have a 50A line for a 14-50 outlet in the garage. Had no issues in over 18 months of use. Most of the time we charge in the middle of the night so there is little overlap with high current items such as the dryer or oven. Have also found that charging at ~30amps works for us so it further reduces the load.

@gpetti Wow... that's just a ridiculous quote to get your hydro upgraded. I had my utility upgraded from 100A to 200A. I had to pay for a new pole, transformer, meter, breaker box and new line (100m). Ended up costing me around $8k. I'm in BC and not Alberta though.
I had the service upgraded at my summer place in summerland and I don't think it cost me more than 2k. I guess one difference is that in Calgary all our lines are underground. Doesn't sound like they had much fore site if a new line requires jackhammering driveways.

I'm wondering if anyone in Calgary or alberta knows of anywhere that a person can take a car out and test its capability (legally). We don't have a speedway anymore here and there don't appear to be any other alternatives. I think it would be great to have somewhere to really try out the new P85D and even take people on test drives. Any thoughts?

I'm wondering if anyone in Calgary or alberta knows of anywhere that a person can take a car out and test its capability (legally). We don't have a speedway anymore here and there don't appear to be any other alternatives. I think it would be great to have somewhere to really try out the new P85D and even take people on test drives. Any thoughts?

http://www.castrolraceway.com/index.php?mo=pages&p_id=27

thats the only one I know of and it's in Edmonton. Nothing until summer either.

Is there a track in airdrie where they go kart that could be used? i also wonder if springbank airport has "track days" or something. Race city was definitely handy, we took our bikes there frequently

There's supposed to be something to replace race city out in rockyview county somewhere at some point... but I doubt it will actually happen, too much NIMBYism.

I think for the foreseeable future it involves either a very long drive, or enough money to rent out an airport...

Southern Alberta is actually pretty hostile to racing in general, several of the annual stage rallies have had to move to BC recently to find good roads without all the political BS (As a side note, an AWD EV would probably make an awesome rally car if someone could afford the risk...)

Thanks for the suggestions/comments. Seems fairly bleak. I know there are a few small town airfields that are virtually unused so that might be another avenue. Might be back to Sarcee trail. just kidding I would never drive over 80Kmh on Sarcee trail that would be against the law!!

I'm not familiar with the Maple Leaf Rally, but from a quick google search it appears to be a TSD event, not really what I'm talking about, that's all on public roads and is more about precise timing than it is about pushing the performance envelope. I'm talking real rally racing, Big White Winter rally is coming up soon in Kelowna, Rocky Mountain Rally just finished near Radium, There's several every year. "Real cars, Real roads, Real fast!" We're talking twisting, turning dirt/gravel roads, one a normal driver would do at 30km/hr, only the rally cars are doing 100km/hr or more.

With the right driver, an EV has a huge advantage on this sort of event, the instant torque and great acceleration are very important in rally sport, top speed much less so. That said, the extra weight of an S would be a disadvantage (more momentum makes it harder to change direction)

I'm also uncertain on the fuelling aspect, best bet would probably be a "spare" battery pack and do a swap at service. of course that's quite expensive, but rally sport isn't exactly cheap to start with, cars need full roll cages added, you go through tires and brakes (I suspect even on an EV) at a tremendous rate, and there's no guarantee of not having to do a bunch of body and suspension work after the event...

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with the Maple Leaf Rally, but from a quick google search it appears to be a TSD event, not really what I'm talking about, that's all on public roads and is more about precise timing than it is about pushing the performance envelope. I'm talking real rally racing, Big White Winter rally is coming up soon in Kelowna, Rocky Mountain Rally just finished near Radium, There's several every year. "Real cars, Real roads, Real fast!" We're talking twisting, turning dirt/gravel roads, one a normal driver would do at 30km/hr, only the rally cars are doing 100km/hr or more.

With the right driver, an EV has a huge advantage on this sort of event, the instant torque and great acceleration are very important in rally sport, top speed much less so. That said, the extra weight of an S would be a disadvantage (more momentum makes it harder to change direction)

I'm also uncertain on the fuelling aspect, best bet would probably be a "spare" battery pack and do a swap at service. of course that's quite expensive, but rally sport isn't exactly cheap to start with, cars need full roll cages added, you go through tires and brakes (I suspect even on an EV) at a tremendous rate, and there's no guarantee of not having to do a bunch of body and suspension work after the event...
That sounds pretty extreme and probably beyond my real driving skills (as opposed to the skills I imagine I have when I'm driving my tesla). Though I guess a tesla wouldn't need a roll cage given it broke the roll testing machine during testing!

I'll try to find a way to help out. If only this was last year and in Vancouver. I could have given you access to ~ 20 km of unopened highway. I still have some contacts and I know guys that race up here in Edmonton, but Castrol Raceway might be your best bet, which would be great as I would definitely head down to watch you eat the lunches of whoever decided to show up.

My place is only 100 amp, it did not even occur to me that that may not be sufficient enough for the nema 14-50, hmmmm... Am originally from ontario, everything is 200 amp there, assume due to all the a/c.. As fyi i am topping up with a skyfire approx. 5kw install, thanks fir the heads up, will do some research

Going through an "extreme garage makeover" which started as adding power for the HPWC and has turned into gutting it, insulating, drywalling, adding heat, new insulated doors and upgrading main service to 200A. Heat getting turned on today before the cold snap and about 1 month till my P85D arrives.

I'm looking forward to seeing many of you around town!

Going through an "extreme garage makeover" which started as adding power for the HPWC and has turned into gutting it, insulating, drywalling, adding heat, new insulated doors and upgrading main service to 200A. Heat getting turned on today before the cold snap and about 1 month till my P85D arrives.

How much did it cost to get the main service upgraded if you don't mind my asking?

Did the Tesla recommended electrician do the work for you? I'm still waiting to hear back from them, I think once my HPWC ships, then I will be scheduling a time to get it installed. I like the idea of a heated garage, have been thinking about that one for a while myself.