Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla open up the SuC network [in UK]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MG4s work fine. It's some of the other models that don't
I saw 2 young ladies failing to charge a brand new MG4 at the V3 Superchargers at Tebay in the summer, which didn’t work but that was because Tebay hadn’t been opened up yet. I did try and explain it but all they said was “I’ve got the app and it says charge your non-Tesla”.

My father is getting an MG4 on Motability soon, but I can’t see it going to any public chargers though as he doesn’t usually go far enough, although I do sometimes use his car and drop him off and pick him up at a coach park next to the Burtonwood Superchargers.

I am interested to see it though as it looks a reasonable spec for the price.

• Informative
Reactions: UkNorthampton
I saw 2 young ladies failing to charge a brand new MG4 at the V3 Superchargers at Tebay in the summer, which didn’t work but that was because Tebay hadn’t been opened up yet. I did try and explain it but all they said was “I’ve got the app and it says charge your non-Tesla”.

My father is getting an MG4 on Motability soon, but I can’t see it going to any public chargers though as he doesn’t usually go far enough, although I do sometimes use his car and drop him off and pick him up at a coach park next to the Burtonwood Superchargers.

I am interested to see it though as it looks a reasonable spec for the price.
It's good value for money. I drove to the south of France mostly on the supercharger network and it was just as quick and easy as when I did it in my SR+

Are you sure we aren't close to 1% yet? 4% of the cars on Autotrader are BEV's I know that is not the same thing but its an indicator and I am not sure all of those petrol stations we see today will survive.
I am not a big believer in the mission statements of publicly traded corporations ("don't be evil" anyone?) at the end of the day they all actually have the same one "do what is going to make the must money for us and our shareholders"
I tend to do a count of EVs Passing me in the opposite direction and in the S London/Surrey/Hampshire area I tend to find a minimum of cars actually on the roads are 10% EVs. This is a huge change in past 12 months. There are less the further North you go but thee are also less Mercs/BMW etc in those areas.

I tend to do a count of EVs Passing me in the opposite direction and in the S London/Surrey/Hampshire area I tend to find a minimum of cars actually on the roads are 10% EVs. This is a huge change in past 12 months. There are less the further North you go but thee are also less Mercs/BMW etc in those areas.
That’s kind of to be expected as they are more expensive vehicles and there’s a higher cluster of wealthy people down south.

But yes I’ve noticed a reasonable increase in green plates. Still a long way to go but progress is being made.

Fleet News crunched the numbers and it's 1 in 32 cars fully electric nationwide.

Bit of a difference to 10%

first time in four years the other day that non Teslas almost prevented me from charging at Bamburgh. The only charger free was only available on the right hand side of the car so wouldn't have reached. However, the other side of the charger was simply car park so I went round the other side and did it backwards so to speak. When I got out to connect, a non-Tesla driver standing around said, "Yeah, it's a pain isn't it." referring to the fact that I had to charge from the other side. I replied, "What, that they've opened chargers up to non-Tesla vehicles?" Yeah, it is a pain.

first time in four years the other day that non Teslas almost prevented me from charging at Bamburgh. The only charger free was only available on the right hand side of the car so wouldn't have reached. However, the other side of the charger was simply car park so I went round the other side and did it backwards so to speak. When I got out to connect, a non-Tesla driver standing around said, "Yeah, it's a pain isn't it." referring to the fact that I had to charge from the other side. I replied, "What, that they've opened chargers up to non-Tesla vehicles?" Yeah, it is a pain.
Presumably at Adderstone SC? I was there on Wednesday afternoon and there was a BMW in Bay 1 using the lead for Bay 2 because of the plug location. A dark coloured Tesla came in and I suggested he back up to Bay 1 from the far side to access the plug which he did. It is very handy having access to both sides at this location, I had previously suggested it to a VW driver who could not access the plug from the one remaining slot because of their charge port location.

When I came back to Adderstone again on Thurs night, the HGV's were parked up for the night on the far side - so that option won't work at night!

Currently waiting to charge at the Trafford Centre, all 18 stalls are full. Luckily I'm in no rush.

I have no general objection to opening the network up to other manufacturers but for some reason allowing commercial vehicles to also use the network doesn't sit right with me.

5 of the 18 stalls are currently occupied by DPD vans.

I guess it's because these vehicles do many more miles than private vehicles so they would use the facility far more, and although I wouldn't expect a company like DPD to provide its own petrol/diesel due to the logistics of storage and dispersal, it should be easier to provide electricity, whilst the van is parked overnight at the depot?

Reactions: spdpsba
Currently waiting to charge at the Trafford Centre, all 18 stalls are full. Luckily I'm in no rush.

I have no general objection to opening the network up to other manufacturers but for some reason allowing commercial vehicles to also use the network doesn't sit right with me.

I guess it's because these vehicles do many more miles than private vehicles so they would use the facility far more, and although I wouldn't expect a company like DPD to provide its own petrol/diesel due to the logistics of storage and dispersal, it should be easier to provide electricity, whilst the van is parked overnight at the depot?
How can they differentiate from a commercial or personal vehicle at the charger?

Commercial vehicles will have to charge somewhere. We need them to deliver stuff to us all. If we are going to a world of EV’s which we are then they have to be able to use chargers.

It’s only an issue if there aren’t enough chargers, if there’s enough then it won’t matter.

Reactions: Dat37863

I live nearby and see them there regularly. Always 3 or 4 at least.

They did use to occupy the free chargers at Tesco's in Old Trafford which I thought was very bad form, but I guess at least now they are paying for the energy they use.