Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Motors to deliver more than 100 taxi-EV's for use at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A large-scale taxi operation like this one would be an ideal candidate for a private supercharger. Yes, you read that correctly. Tesla can and will supply supercharger hardware to individuals and businesses that require fast charging on a daily basis. Base-level superchargers that can charge two cars at a time have already been sold for private use in the U.S. Obviously, in this instance the owner of the installation pays for the energy used, and it's unlikely that you would be able to install one in a residential neighborhood due to power requirements. For roughy the cost of 3 to 4 Model S taxis, a dedicated 4-bay supercharger could be purchased.

Last edited:
I think Tesla has clearly stated the Model 3 will be less powerful and a bit smaller than the Model S.

While Elon has said that the Model 3 will be 20-25% smaller than the S, I am not aware if any statements by him or anyone at Tesla that the 3 will be "less powerful". I think it highly likely that the base 3 will have very similar power and 0-60 time as the base S and that the 3 will have a higher power "P" type option.

The 3 will no doubt have the same or better CD value as the S and that will contribute greatly to its 200+ mile range. It will also certainly have a "D" option which will increase the range over the standard single motor version of the 3.

A large-scale taxi operation like this one would be an ideal candidate for a private supercharger. Yes, you read that correctly. Tesla can and will supply supercharger hardware to individuals and businesses that require fast charging on a daily basis. Base-level superchargers that can charge two cars at a time have already been sold for private use in the U.S. Obviously, in this instance the owner of the installation pays for the energy used, and it's unlikely that you would be able to install one in a residential neighborhood due to power requirements. For roughy the cost of 3 to 4 Model S taxis, a dedicated 4-bay supercharger could be purchased.

From what I understood the taxidrivers will switch empty cars (if that occurs) for cars that have been charged at the taxi company's staging location (but not with superchargers, as there is no need for such fast recharging). The drivers will also charge at home (paid for by the taxi company).

From what I understood the taxidrivers will switch empty cars (if that occurs) for cars that have been charged at the taxi company's staging location (but not with superchargers, as there is no need for such fast recharging). The drivers will also charge at home (paid for by the taxi company).
it would seem that they could have gotten a lot fewer cars with supercharger than keep charged cars around as backups

With a livery service I think the bare minimum is usually to have three vehicles: two on the road, and one in reserve. In case of a last minute customer, or a mechanical failure, it's good to have a backup. When the time comes that you literally need every single vehicle to be on the road, it's time to order more cars. The one time that you don't have cars in reserve will be a demonstration in the futility of avoiding Murphy's Law.

;-)

Yes, they're practically all over the place in the greater Amsterdam area.
You would think the 150-ish number is a small drop in the ocean, but the Tesla taxi has become part of the common traffic picture.

Landed in Amsterdam airport today. At the taxi queue the Tesla taxis lining up outnumbered others at times. Our Tesla taxi driver really likes his experience. Wasn't expecting it but says he has been pleasantly surprised at lack of teething problems and says the Teslas are really easy to drive. Charges only at end of day at taxi depot.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Every owner of a Tesla probably remembers the first staggering moment of driving in the model S.
So, every taxi passenger in Amsterdam that steps into one, is being treated to the same experience.
Last week I spoke to someone from Tesla in Zurich and he told that Tesla gets a lot of people there that want to buy a Tesla after having been in a taxi in Amsterdam.
So, not only good for us in The Netherlands, but also a perfect marketing tool to get people out of their 'ICE' in other parts of the world! :smile: