Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in a rural community. A friend of the family came up to me the other day and said "that car must go pretty fast," and explained that he was following me as I passed someone on the two-lane highway. He was surprised to see the zip as I pulled out and blasted past the slow driver in front of me. That led to a conversation about how far it goes, how to charge, etc. I love those conversations - when I'm not in a hurry. I jokingly say one of the worst experiences is coming out of the store to find 10 people surrounding your car, and thinking "Tesla time", when you have to be home in a few minutes.

California? Old hat. Here in "big three" country? Big deal.

- - - Updated - - -

You're absolutely right, they really don't see it until it's broken down for them. My mother-in-law has a 2013 E350 lease, payment is near $700, plus the gas $300 a month, and maintenance average $100 = $1,100 thats P85 purchase not lease money.

I once commented on an external post with the following - re making the Tesla TCO comparable with a Chevy Impala:

It is true for some states - let's use Illinois as an example. When you take a reasonably-configured Model S, subtract the federal & state incentives and the fuel and maintenance savings, in Illinois I can make it cost less than a 2LTZ Impala (the comparable model, not the rental car options). Fuel savings alone can be incredible - at Illinois' average 2013 gas price ($3.73), the Chevy 22 MPG combined 3.6L engine costs 17 cents per mile. At local electric rates, the Model S costs between 1.65 and 2.5 cents per mile (5-8c/kWh average here). Over 150,000 miles that means a savings of ~$22k. The 60 kWh Model S with tech pkg, parking sensors, body-color roof, 19" wheels is $77,570 before incentives. After $7,500 and $4,000 federal and state rebates, it's $66,070. After $22,000 fuel savings, it's $44,070. After ~$5k maintenance savings (no oil changes, radiator flushes, transmission oil changes, all parts but tires included, etc.), it's $39,070. I configured a 2LTZ Impala with standard blue metallic paint, tan leather, comfort pkg, radio w/ nav, body color grille, floor mats, and roadside assistance for $39,100 if you subtract dest charge.

Drive it to 200,000 miles, and the fuel savings subtract another $7,500. That doesn't include the ICE engine performance degradation/loss of mileage over the life span of the engine, nor does it include other benefits, like a $830 savings in registration costs over 10 years (IL charges $18/yr for pure EV registration, $101/yr for ICE registration).

So yes, here in Illinois, I can make a Model S price-comparable to a similarly-equipped Impala. The fit and finish and quality of Model S is leaps and bounds above that Impala, as well.

I suppose this is where I say "your mileage WILL vary", though, and I acknowledge that in states without an additional incentive, or where power prices are prohibitively expensive, you may not be able to see the same returns. You will certainly come close, though.

I just picked up my multi-coat red P85+ and took it in this weekend for a Virginia safety inspection. When pulling up to the service bay, I could see a mechanic eyeing my car. He went back into the garage and quickly came back out with his manager and a couple of other guys. They all approached together and I let them know why I was there. They started asking questions about the car and we had a fun Tesla conversation. In the end, the manager told his guys to just put the safety inspection sticker on the car. He loved it, but didn't want the liability of his guys touching it. Turned out to be the easiest safety inspection and most fun I've ever had.

Reactions: EvolutionTeʂla
I just picked up my multi-coat red P85+ and took it in this weekend for a Virginia safety inspection. When pulling up to the service bay, I could see a mechanic eyeing my car. He went back into the garage and quickly came back out with his manager and a couple of other guys. They all approached together and I let them know why I was there. They started asking questions about the car and we had a fun Tesla conversation. In the end, the manager told his guys to just put the safety inspection sticker on the car. He loved it, but didn't want the liability of his guys touching it. Turned out to be the easiest safety inspection and most fun I've ever had.

Haha that's awesome. Congrats and welcome to TMC!!

mmmmm.... data!

Would you mind if I used that data to make a chart/infographic to put in my car window?

Fire away... it was a snapshot as of a couple of months ago. Obviously, electric prices and gas prices change state to state. :)

It is missing the opportunity cost of the savings. I suppose you could consider it a short-term annuity and figure a value of the opportunity cost based on it, but things get too complex for the average consumer at that point. :)

Fire away... it was a snapshot as of a couple of months ago. Obviously, electric prices and gas prices change state to state. :)

It is missing the opportunity cost of the savings. I suppose you could consider it a short-term annuity and figure a value of the opportunity cost based on it, but things get too complex for the average consumer at that point. :)

What is the opportunity cost of not being able to pass like teleportation? LOL...

I could not have set this one up better if I had written the script & directed. Worried about the process of transferring my license plates to the new car when it arrives, I went to the DMV in person (instead of renewing reg online) so I could ask someone face to face. Big mistake, but the Tesla moment made it well worth the trouble.

At at the window, a young trainee & an old(ish) supervisor sitting behind.

Old guy: "the dealership will . . ."
Me: "no dealer, they deliver it "
old guy "yeah, ok, but what dealer?"
me " no dealer, it's a Tesla"
young guy "Oooooh you're getting a Tesla! ?"
old guy "what's that?"
Young guy "oh man, a Model X?"
old guy "never heard of it, what dealer?"

so I eventually got a good, reliable answer from the supervisor. We talked sales tax, American made, faster than a Porsche 911, DC and at home charging, etc etc while the young guy looked at pics on my phone, and people waited in line behind me. Classic!

added: it was a bit of a shock to have a long term DMV employee say "never heard of" Tesla. One gets used to being behind the curve around here. Tell you what though, he sure has heard of it now! :smile:

Last edited:
I am going on 6 months in my car and I get shockingly few such incidents. I think my color (pearl white) may be a big factor in giving it a cloaking shield; people are just not used to noticing white 4 door sedan/hatchbacks.

I took it in for it's safety inspection:

me: have you driven one of these before?
mechanic: yeah, hotshot, we have seen it all. We had one in a few days ago.

I just can't tell if Austin is been-there-done-that cool or don't-know-what-I-am-looking-at behind the curve, or perfectly both depending on the onlooker. I have only had 1 person really stop me to ask questions. Other conversations have been friends and family so partially initiated by me.

A co worker was helping me tske some things into my house through our garage today and I had the fob in my pocket. Every time we walked past the car it would flash its lights and extend the handles. After the third time my coworker said "I think your car wants to go for a run. It's like a dog and gets excited to go outside every time you walk past it." I chuckled and that sounds like a good idea.

• Funny
Reactions: F_T_K
added: it was a bit of a shock to have a long term DMV employee say "never heard of" Tesla. One gets used to being behind the curve around here. Tell you what though, he sure has heard of it now! :smile:

When I titled/registered (the MS) a year ago the lady went outside to check the VIN. When she came back the lady typing in the information asked what the make was. The VIN inspector lady told her it was a Jaguar.

A co worker was helping me tske some things into my house through our garage today and I had the fob in my pocket. Every time we walked past the car it would flash its lights and extend the handles. After the third time my coworker said "I think your car wants to go for a run. It's like a dog and gets excited to go outside every time you walk past it." I chuckled and that sounds like a good idea.

Somewhat like what happens in our garage every evening. My son and I usually get home earlier than my wife. When she gets home, parks her Mini and walks past the MS (with the fob in her purse), the car does the unlocking routine of flashing the lights and extending the handles. My wife describes it as "Tessie is saying hello" after having not seen her all day :)

Just yesterday, while we were at dinner at our neighborhood Amici's where we got a table by the window looking out at the Gray MS loaner that I have right now, we saw a family - a couple probably in their 60s and a younger couple who seemed related - spend a good 5 minutes checking out the car, walking all around, peeking through the glass, stopping at the rear for a fair bit (probably remarking on the manufacturer plates), taking lots of pictures... the whole works. My wife and I were surprised to see that happen in the Bay Area given all the MSs around; we thought to ourselves "out-of-towners" ;)

Even out here in vacaville it had dropped off a bit, but the last couple weeks have been full of thumbs up and people speeding up to check it out. I did the same to an Aston Martin, and in return I got a thumbs up from the female passenger who seemed quite excited to see a Tesla.

I took Olive the dog in the roadster to the off-leash dog beach this morning (see my Icon). As I was toweling her down a guy said to me "What kind of dog car is that?".

"A very fast one..." I replied.

"Oh, wow, that's a Tesla! Did you buy stock last year?"

"is that one of those new Tulsa's? Can we take a look?"

Tulsa Doom is not amused

Thulsa+Doom.jpg

I finally had a good one.

I was parked with the car all open and some working class guys came up to check it out. They knew quite a bit about it and one of them said "you know where Tesla was from right?". I was mad at myself because I couldn't remember so I ventured Czech. He said "SERBIAN!" (in what I then realized was a Serbian accent). His friends all laughed, apparently they knew he lived for these Tesla sightings.