Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They have been paving my neighborhood for the past week or so, so I've been driving my old car (a Porsche 911TT). My wife and I were heading out to dinner and I had to dart out through a small gap in traffic to cross a busy street and warned her to "hold on" while I floored it and shot across the lanes. When we straightened out and I got off the throttle, she looked over at me and said "this car seems slow now."

Oh yeah, that definitely qualifies as a Tesla moment!

Took Ms. Blitz to a Cars for a Cause Auto Show today. A young couple walked up while I was talking with another guy. They looked in the frunk and she said, "Where is it, Joe?" Joe responded, "Honey these European cars almost always have it mid car or in the rear kinda like a Volkswagen, ya know?" I purposely remained silent while they got around to the back of the car. "Joe, I still don't see it." Joe's response is a classic: "Honey this isn't real. Someone just musta towed this here to make fun of people looking for the engine. Look around. I'll bet there is a camera taking our picture someplace close."
On a side note, I entered her in the Best Looking Engine category; Loudest Muffler category; Highest MPG category. I did not get a single vote in any of my categories. I think Joe submitted me for best European though!

Took Ms. Blitz to a Cars for a Cause Auto Show today. A young couple walked up while I was talking with another guy. They looked in the frunk and she said, "Where is it, Joe?" Joe responded, "Honey these European cars almost always have it mid car or in the rear kinda like a Volkswagen, ya know?" I purposely remained silent while they got around to the back of the car. "Joe, I still don't see it." Joe's response is a classic: "Honey this isn't real. Someone just musta towed this here to make fun of people looking for the engine. Look around. I'll bet there is a camera taking our picture someplace close."
On a side note, I entered her in the Best Looking Engine category; Loudest Muffler category; Highest MPG category. I did not get a single vote in any of my categories. I think Joe submitted me for best European though!

A great example of trying to make the evidence/facts conform to the beliefs rather than digging into it in order to gain knowledge.

I had to go across town on the hunt for a new electric mower and just before I reached the hardware store I was pulled over for a random breath test. Tesla are rare on the ground on this side of town. The Police pull over groups of about 5 or 6 cars at a time and I was the last car waved in.
I waited whilst they attended to those ahead of me and finally a young female Police office comes over to my window.
At first it was the standard thing, show my license and count to 10 over the breath analyser and I passed the test as I hadn't had a drink for a few days.
Then I realised there were 3 or 4 young officers standing at my window and the conversation went something like this.
Male Police officer: Wow look at the iPad in the dash
Me "That's not an iPad it standard on this car"
Chorus of Police Officers "Yes we know"
Male Police Officer "I think it looks like a Maserati or a Jaguar"
Me "Yes I get that a lot, it's actually a Tesla"
Chorus of Police officers "Yes we know"
Male Police officer to Female Police officer "Bet you it's faster than your 4 banger" she rolls her eyes.
Me "This is the slower model and where legal it will go from 0 to 100 Km/h in 5 and a half seconds but there are faster models that do its in just over 3 seconds"
Chorus of Police officers "Yes we know"
Female Police officer "I think even yours would beat my 4 banger"
We all laughed at that.
Me "You do know it's electric"
Chorus of Police Officers "Yes we know"
The Female Police Officer hands me my license back and wishes me a lovely day.
I glide silently away past the senior/older Police Officer looking perplexed at the young ones, I don't think he knew. :wink:

I went a few days after delivery without any, and I was a little bummed because I'm in an area that doesn't have very many at all. I've gotten a few very strange looks. However, the last week I've had plenty.

I took it to my local "Mom & Pop" (literally) garage/tire shop. This guy has worked on my family's vehicles forever. Even though this type of vehicle threatens their livelihood (gas sales, repairs, oil changes, maintenance, etc.) he was blown away. Mind you, this isn't a guy that has a very bubbly personality. So just picture this rural Texas, grease covered, mechanic going around and just flat out marveling at the vehicle. I took his wife (the shop manager) out for a drive, since she wasn't covered in grease, and when I hit the accelerator she exclaimed, "WOW! This is what the cars USED to be like!" Not sure her reference, but oh well.

I've done probably 6 "test drives" for various people. The other day I took my daughter to the local meat market. As we were walking in, an older gentlemen was walking out. We were at the counter placing our order and the older gentlemen came back in and was speaking. I thought he was talking to the owners of the meat market but eventually I discovered he was speaking to me. He said, "I have two questions: 1) How much range can you really get on a charge...and 2) Was it worth it?" I was surprised he even knew what it was. So I enthusiastically answered his questions, offered to show him the interior and he was very intrigued. He said he's been following Musk and Tesla since the Roadster.

Last week I was taking my wife out for Mother's Day and I stopped by one of my best friend's houses. His reaction was one I was a little nervous about, because he's extremely tight and conservative with money. He buys just about everything used (He called me one day to brag about his used John Deere lawn mower he found on Craigslist). His old truck was probably 16 years old and he replaced it with a 5 year old truck (mind you, he makes good money). When I first told him about I was buying a Tesla, he was flabbergasted...but I couldn't get a good read on what he really thought. He has three boys, the oldest 15 and the others a few years younger. He mentioned he wanted to see the car, because his boys really wanted to see it. So we stopped by and it was so much fun. The whole family (mom included) just "Oooooohhh'd" and "Ahhhhhhhh'd!" the entire time. I took the Dad and three boys on a little test drive and punched it. I quickly realized that on 50% charge with 5 people in the car, the acceleration is greatly affected. So I had to give the caveat, that it is MUCH quicker than this! Anyway, he asked if I had time to stop by a neighbor's house to show. He said he was thinking about purchasing one, which I was very surprised. So imagine if you are still in the research phase, asking questions, and then out of the blue...your neighbor knocks on your front door and asks if you want to come look at the Tesla in his driveway. He came around the front of the house on the phone (trying to reach his wife) with the biggest ear to ear grin I've seen. That was a cool experience. In the end, my friend looked at me and said, "I can totally see why you got this. This is incredible." :biggrin:

And finally, just yesterday we took a family out on a test drive. They just lost their adult son (35 years old) unexpected very recently, and so this was a good distraction according to my Mother (who is friends with this family). When we got back to my Mom's, her friend called and said that her grandson (who wasn't home at the time) heard about the car and was "heartbroken" that he missed it, and was too shy to come down and see the car. So of course I hopped up (imagining myself at 13 years old, seeing such a cool car) and said, "Of course bring him down!". So his mother and he drove up on a little ATV and I got to show him the entire ride and took them on a little test drive. He was painfully shy and didn't speak much, but I could tell he was loving every second of it.

All in all, these "Tesla Moments" are so fun and rewarding. I look forward to many more.

Last edited:
I went a few days after delivery without any, and I was a little bummed because I'm in an area that doesn't have very many at all. I've gotten a few very strange looks. However, the last week I've had plenty.

Wow JMG, it feels like just yesterday I read your "dangerous for wallet" thread about whether to order the car. Great to hear you've taken delivery and have had some rewarding moments already!!

Wow JMG, it feels like just yesterday I read your "dangerous for wallet" thread about whether to order the car. Great to hear you've taken delivery and have had some rewarding moments already!!

Sadly, JMG needs all the "positive vibe" we can send/share! Just goes to show that even with the car's "battle scar", it's turning heads everywhere!
One week old today, and then backed into....

Another funny one about 30 minutes ago. The local body shop here where my office is, just a regular small-town body shop/tow truck service. He heard through the grapevine about my "accident" that Cyclone referred to and heard it was $10k repair. So he saw me today and piped up with, "Heyyy...I'll fix it fer $5k and you can keep the difference!". :biggrin: Nooooot exactly, but thanks!

Wonderful stories! Thank you for sharing! By the way, did you get a sense of how much slower the car accelerated with five people in the car (1,2,3... seconds?)

As Cyclone said, it's hard to tell but it was definitely noticeable. I've done it twice now with 5 people in the car, and I'd say it was a good 1 - 1.5 seconds slower. I'm used to being in it by myself, smashing it the accelerator and it pinning my head into the headrest (even with me anticipating it). With a car-full of people (and 50% SOC), the difference was quite dramatic...but still enough to elicit "Wow!!!" from the occupants.

Haha yeah, very true! 2 months ago I had just placed the order button...and about 7 days before that I had no idea was a Model S was. It was a rollercoaster for sure.

Sadly, JMG needs all the "positive vibe" we can send/share! Just goes to show that even with the car's "battle scar", it's turning heads everywhere!
One week old today, and then backed into....

Yep...:crying:. Parts are ordered and I'm just waiting for the body shop to give me a call. Looks like I'll be in an ICE rental for 2 weeks.

Stopped at goodwill to drop some things off and the guy that receives everything sees the 17" through the open trunk with the seats folded down and says "whoa, that is some dash" pauses for a few moments and says "wow!" Then walks around to the drivers side and peers in the window and says "that's amazing, what kind of car is this?" I say it's a Tesla, "wow, I never heard of that before." I then say "it's all electric", he looks at me puzzled. Then walks back to the pile of stuff and asks if I want a receipt. Nah. I get in the car, put my foot on the brake, grab my seatbelt, drop it in drive and hit the trunk button all in 5 seconds and silently drive off, when I look in the rear view I see him standing there with his mouth hanging open.

I should have showed him the frunk.

Haha.

Wonderful stories! Thank you for sharing! By the way, did you get a sense of how much slower the car accelerated with five people in the car (1,2,3... seconds?)

My short answer to this (as noted below, I have a P85D) is that the traction on the road has a MUCH bigger effect on G-force than the number of passengers or battery SOC (assuming, of course, you are carrying humans and don't have the yellow lines of death on the dash, which I've become quite familiar with in cold weather). I'm starting to wonder if the spoiler- the only option I didn't get besides third row seats- would actually function like a spoiler was intended, and actually change the metrics? Does anyone have data on this?