Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still find mysef pushing on the emergency brake with my left foot only to find it isn't there anymore. I have also turned on the wipers in my ICE SUV when trying to go into reverse. And a bit scarier (without incident) I tried to squirt washer fluid by clicking P in my Model S. Fortunately, Tesla made it idiot proof and ignored my request.

I tried to squirt washer fluid by clicking P in my Model S.

That was my biggest concern when I first got my car because a lot of my previous cars have had the wiper stalk right where the gear selector is in the Model S. So far, I have not made the mistake in my Model S, but I have turned the wipers on in my wife's car while trying to put it into Park.:redface:

I was refereeing a basketball game a couple of days ago, and had my refillable water bottle on the scorer's table, manned by high school students. I came back to the table during a time-out, and one of the scorers suddenly said "whose water bottle is that!!". So I took a taste to confirm it was mine, and the scorer then said "Do you really have a TESLA??". (I had one of those tiny Tesla keychains hanging off the bottle's handle.) He went on a bit and I told him he could see it after the game. So we troop out and he was duly impressed with actually seeing the frunk for the first time, and the hidden footwell in the back. I had him sit in the driver's seat, and he was blown away actually seeing all the bells and whistles that the main screen and driver's screen provide. He thanked me profusely and we all left. The one downside is, I put my water bottle down outside when showing them the trunk, and forgot to get it before driving away. Less than 5 minutes later I was back looking for it, but, sadly, it and my keychain were gone. Chalk it up to the price of advertising!

Wait until you walk away from your ICE car while it's still running and unlocked. The other fun one is to almost launch yourself (while in said ICE car) into the back of someones car when you let off on the accelerator expecting the car to actually stop.

Haha - rented an Altima for a college tour in Chicago. Pretty quiet car. We got out and 2 hrs later we get back and my daughter is laughing hysterically. Still running and unlocked. Fortunately nice neighborhood or that car would have been long gone...

Haha - rented an Altima for a college tour in Chicago. Pretty quiet car. We got out and 2 hrs later we get back and my daughter is laughing hysterically. Still running and unlocked. Fortunately nice neighborhood or that car would have been long gone...

Interestingly I've never done that, but I still, after almost two years, occasionally reach for the ignition switch in my Model S.

Had a very cute Tesla moment today. A young dad was holding a small baby (maybe 2 years old?). He walks up behind our car as it's charging in the Whole Foods parking lot and says to the baby (in a very "talking to babies" voice) "This car is plugged in 'cause it's a FANCY car!"

That was my biggest concern when I first got my car because a lot of my previous cars have had the wiper stalk right where the gear selector is in the Model S. So far, I have not made the mistake in my Model S, but I have turned the wipers on in my wife's car while trying to put it into Park.:redface:

In my BMW M3, the wiper stalk is on the right and the turn indicator on the left, with the cruise control stalk also on the left below that. My Model S has the cruise control above the turn indicator on the left. Since I've owned the Model S, I've activated the wipers when parking the M3, and a bit more disconcertingly, cancelled the cruise control when attempting to indicate a lane change on the freeway. Conversely, I've set or changed speed with the cruise control in the Model S when indicating a lane change. The frequency of these "duh" moments is reducing thankfully.

So how many of you have switched from a standard to an automatic and jammed your left foot into the floor to depress the clutch when there wasn't one?

Oddly, I haven't done that one. My M3 is a 6-speed stick. I think the confusion initially stems from the many different gestures with my hands and fingers. I don't seem to confuse the lack of clutch pedal in the Model S, or worse, forget that the M3 has a clutch.

I don't have a Tesla yet, but I think I had another Tesla moment. I was having some solar panels put on the roof and had the electrician put in the NEMA 14-50 in the garage at the same time in anticipation of the Model S coming in a couple months. When the electrical inspector for the city came, he was very interested in the solar set up because there is not a lot of solar around here (no incentives, some home owners associations are against them). When he looked at the outlet for the car we, of course, talked about Tesla. He spoke of the limited range for electric cars to go on the road, I, of course talked with him about taking the MS on a road trip to the coast this summer. He was very interested in electrical devices (flies RC helicopters), solar panels, and EVs, so it was interesting to me that he didn't know a Tesla could travel with free charges across the county.

I don't have a Tesla yet, but I think I had another Tesla moment. I was having some solar panels put on the roof and had the electrician put in the NEMA 14-50 in the garage at the same time in anticipation of the Model S coming in a couple months. When the electrical inspector for the city came, he was very interested in the solar set up because there is not a lot of solar around here (no incentives, some home owners associations are against them). When he looked at the outlet for the car we, of course, talked about Tesla. He spoke of the limited range for electric cars to go on the road, I, of course talked with him about taking the MS on a road trip to the coast this summer. He was very interested in electrical devices (flies RC helicopters), solar panels, and EVs, so it was interesting to me that he didn't know a Tesla could travel with free charges across the county.
It has been very common for me to talk to people about the Tesla and some seem to know about the company and the car but very few know about the superchargers. Tesla has not done any marketing about them so in the last year and a half I would say I have meet 3 or 4 people who were aware of them. So that is why when you talk to people most of them say range is a problem for them, even in California where the company is located.

Just had a Tesla moment whilst waiting for a bus at Disney World. I was wearing the Model S black t shirt and this teenage boy comes up to me wearing a Ferrari jacket and asks me where I got the shirt as he is mad on cars. I let him know that you can get them at the galeries or on line from the Tesla store. He thanked me and headed off.

Less than 10 seconds later a black Model S drives past.....

Had a similar moment to you, @TesAus, on the Big Island of Hawaii yesterday: I had the black Tesla T-shirt on as well and was at the beach picking up snorkel gear for my son when a couple of teen boys spotted it and exclaimed first to each other: "dude, that guy is wearing a Tesla T-shirt" and then to me: "that's a cool T-shirt, man". I smiled and gave a thumbs-up. Didn't hang around for a chat though.

Had a similar moment to you, @TesAus, on the Big Island of Hawaii yesterday: I had the black Tesla T-shirt on as well and was at the beach picking up snorkel gear for my son when a couple of teen boys spotted it and exclaimed first to each other: "dude, that guy is wearing a Tesla T-shirt" and then to me: "that's a cool T-shirt, man". I smiled and gave a thumbs-up. Didn't hang around for a chat though.

That's great that your T-shirt raised awareness in some way, I like when the gear is used for that purpose instead of just branding / showing off like all of the Ferrari gear you see from owners / non-owners.

So yesterday I took my wife's car to run an errand since it was raining outside and I had just washed the Model S the day before. While sitting at a red light, a red Model S goes through the intersection and looks my way. I wondered what he was looking at and lo and behold, behind me is a black Model S. Would of been a bit crazy if I was in mine also as there were no other cars around at the time.