Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y Delivery experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently, my Model Y Performance became available for delivery. There's lots of great information in this forum and I wanted to contribute my experience. Overall, this was by far the best dealership experience I have had. In the past, I have had Toyota, BMW, and Mercedes. The key reason it was great was because I spent less than an hour with Tesla.

I bought my Toyota and Mercedes on the West Coast years ago (both vehicles since long gone). I bought my BMW here in Colorado a while back, but ultimately wasn't super satisfied with the cost of ownership so I chose to make the jump to Tesla. I picked my Model Y up in Aurora, Colorado.

Purchasing:
  • From VIN being assigned to the vehicle being available for delivery took about 10 days. It became available for pickup one day earlier than anticipated.
  • I made a custom order and then chose a similar vehicle from inventory. As the VIN hadn't been assigned at this point I could use the website chat feature to change to an in-inventory vehicle. Once the VIN has been assigned the Tesla support you get over SMS seems to be the only way to make changes, and it looks like you can only jump over to other in-inventory vehicles. They can be so slow in getting back to you though it's pretty much a crapshoot.
Financing
  • Though I was approved through Wells Fargo for financing, according to the paperwork it'll actually be financed through TD. I'm a little concerned as I have a plan to pay it off in under 6 months, and I wonder if the terms have changed with the lender. It looks like Tesla has a general ruleset for their lenders, but nowhere does it mention pre-computed interest (I definitely do not want that). (If you're wondering why I didn't just wait wait and put away cash for 6 months instead of financing, it's because my BMW had a serious service and tire change coming up - no thank you)
  • Financing was conditionally approved in a few hours and they just wanted proof of address. After I uploaded a utility bill, the approval was complete in about 12 hrs (still said Wells Fargo at this point)
Trade in value
  • I traded in a BMW which covered about half the cost of the Model Y. The trade in quote was around ~5% lower than Carvana's trade in value and about 3% lower than the sales value Caravan quoted. CarMax's offers were almost identical to Carvana's. For the sake of making things very easy I chose to just trade in with Tesla.

Pickup
  • 5min: Check in, hand over BMW keys. I had everything done in advance through the app, so they just wanted to grab the keys to take the plates off the vehicle and double check the condition & odometer
  • 15min: While they inspected my BMW, a Tesla rep walked me to my Tesla and let me inspect it. I spent about 15min inspecting it.
  • 15min: When I was satisfied I went back in and signed some paperwork (trade in overview, purchase overview, financing overview)
  • 5min: When paperwork was done, we walked outside and the rep handed me my keycards. They set my phone up as a key, connected bluetooth etc, and that was it. The car was mine.
State of the vehicle
  • I checked all lights, panels, mirrors, alignments and couldn't find anything that stood out to me. I can't see any meaningful panel misalignments. There weren't even any marks in the paint, not even any hairline scratches. Even the trunk seems to be very well aligned. I can't find anything out of place.
  • The car did look like it had been washed recently and had a very small amount of dirt under the charge port. Maybe it got a little dirty during transport?
  • It had 4miles on the odometer
  • Interior, I did a quick (light) pull and tug on the interior panels all around the cabin. Nothing loose. No visible misalignments.
  • No rattles, shakes, or squeaks
  • The tires on the Uberturbines were Michelin All Seasons, but Tesla Support over text said they'd be Pirelli Summer tires

First drive
  • The hardware 4 cameras needed to calibrate which took ~20miles or so. After that, totally flawless
  • Setting up Apple Music, Home and Work address, and my profile with mirror position, seat position, etc was totally easy
  • 'Filling up' the Tesla at a Supercharger cost me $18. I can charge for free at my apartment and at work (they're both fairly slow which isn't a problem in those contexts). The 91 Octane in my BMW would cost between $60-$80 a week.
  • Road noise doesn't stand out to me
  • It came with a J1772 adapter which I wasn't expecting

Range
  • My 2023 MYP seems to max out at about 300 (I have only changed to 90% which indicates a range of about 280mi). This is on par with the Tesla's claims, but I thought the swap to Inductions would increase the range. I did configure the car to use the Inductions, the system even reset - but 300mi seems to be the absolute peak range it'll calculate. Still, I have driven around 500 miles since I got it - no practical complaints about range or charging availability so far.
Overall, this is so much easier, faster, and less ambiguous than buying from Toyota, Mercedes, and BMW. Not having to deal with a whole cast of sales people and dedicate a whole afternoon to dealing with them is hard to put a price on.

Note on the Uberturbines:

Before delivery I set up a swap for the 21" Uberturbines for 20" Inductions based on what I read online.

I actually didn't notice a huge drive quality difference between the 20" inductions and 21" Uberturbines. The 21" Uberturbines are definitely more 'connected to the road' which means you feel the surface of the road through the steering wheel more than you do with the Inductions. I didn't get the impression I was bounced around more, or that the car was shaking more. If you've driven around Aurora, you'll have found there's ample opportunity to check this :)

If I had known I would get all seasons on the Uberturbines (instead of summer tires like Tesla Support said) I don't think I would have swapped them. I was bothered by the additional cost of swapping out the summer tires in a few months and wanted everything sorted out in advance.

Discount tire did the swap for free then I just dropped my Uberturbines off at FedEx in the boxes I received my Inductions in. FedEx ground from CO to CA cost about $200.

I don't regret the change to Inductions but it's not as critical as I thought it was.

Tesla_Model_Y_in_San_Ramon.jpg

"Tesla Model Y in San Ramon" by DestinationFearFan is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

Great write up, thanks for sharing. I’m also about to get an MYP and I’m trading in a BMW.

How long did it take them to get you a trade-in offer? So it was 5% less than CarMax? With the sales tax delta, I’m leaning toward just trading it to Tesla even if they low ball me, just to keep things easy. Even if it means I eat $1k-$2k.

Did you accept the financing terms before they gave you a trade in offer? My financing was approved essentially instantly but I’m still waiting on the trade in offer. I suppose it doesn’t really matter because the final financing $ amounts will be calculated at delivery time, net of trade in, tax, etc, right?

Interesting that you don’t feel much ride quality difference between the Uberturbines and the Inductions. I’ve heard a lot of people say 20” makes a difference…but I think that’s often in reference to aftermarket wheels, which are often much lighter than Tesla’s wheels. I wonder if it’s more about the weight than the diameter.

I’m seven months behind and exactly the same perfect process. I got to know the location manager and bragged about everyone to Elon via email.
Congrats and enjoy
Think my only advice after adding all of the in/out protections is BE CAREFUL
The MYP is an insane rocket ship
Careful of others driving it
You might want to pin set it to a max speed and in chill mode
Absolutely no complaints

Great write up, thanks for sharing. I’m also about to get an MYP and I’m trading in a BMW.

How long did it take them to get you a trade-in offer? So it was 5% less than CarMax? With the sales tax delta, I’m leaning toward just trading it to Tesla even if they low ball me, just to keep things easy. Even if it means I eat $1k-$2k.

Did you accept the financing terms before they gave you a trade in offer? My financing was approved essentially instantly but I’m still waiting on the trade in offer. I suppose it doesn’t really matter because the final financing $ amounts will be calculated at delivery time, net of trade in, tax, etc, right?

Interesting that you don’t feel much ride quality difference between the Uberturbines and the Inductions. I’ve heard a lot of people say 20” makes a difference…but I think that’s often in reference to aftermarket wheels, which are often much lighter than Tesla’s wheels. I wonder if it’s more about the weight than the diameter.
Hey, BMW to MYP - I hope you end up as happy as I am with the transition.

Regarding trade in timeline: Submitting the trade in through Tesla.com was very fast, like pretty close to instantaneous. When I was actually going through the purchasing process through the app it took about 3 days and seemed to be tired to me getting assigned a VIN (but could have been a coincidence). The quote I got on Tesla.com was identical to the actual value I was offered during the purchasing process, though.

The lost $ on the trade in is the cost of convenience to me personally. It seemed like a lot to organize things with Carvana/CarMax etc, then make my way over to Tesla on delivery, and then figure out a different mode of transportation if I felt the car was unacceptable. I think this is a personal decision based on the delta of values offered from each buyer and what options you have available.

Regarding financing: I accepted the financing terms before they gave me a trade in offer, but I had a fairly clear idea of what to expect in terms of my trade in value so I did take that into account when accepting.

With the Uberturbines, when I say 'ride quality' I'm referring to how much I feel thrown around in the cabin by unevenness and damage in roads. The steering wheel feedback (how 'connected' you feel to the road) was higher on the Uberturbines than Inductions for sure, but I didn't feel as through bumps in the road were more impactful on one as compared with the other. I think the suspension & weight of the Y does a lot of work here.

I came from a 21 BMW X3 which had a very smooth ride (245/55R17 wheels/tires). I don't find the Y significantly harsher. Definitely more sporty, which in this case I mean that the ride is comfortable, smooth, but you feel more through the steering wheel. No idea about third party wheels. I do see a lot of Teslas with third party wheels around Colorado though, but that might be folks moving away from stock Gemini wheels.

I’m seven months behind and exactly the same perfect process. I got to know the location manager and bragged about everyone to Elon via email.
Congrats and enjoy
Think my only advice after adding all of the in/out protections is BE CAREFUL
The MYP is an insane rocket ship
Careful of others driving it
You might want to pin set it to a max speed and in chill mode
Absolutely no complaints
Honestly this is great advice also.

Chill mode is a total necessity outside of very intentionally having some fun. I also am considering setting the max speed to 85 as it's so easy to speed in these things - and it'd help with my Tesla Insurance lol.

What do you mean in/out protection? Like on the door sills?

In= mats, window tint, ceramic treat seats, etc
Out= PPF, ceramic, mud flaps, rim protection, grill mesh, etc

My 27 year old tries going 100, he hates max 85
He’s never experienced the accel rocket as he’s only driven in chill
It’s would be like crack to a 20ish male

Reactions: arky
Recently, my Model Y Performance became available for delivery. There's lots of great information in this forum and I wanted to contribute my experience. Overall, this was by far the best dealership experience I have had. In the past, I have had Toyota, BMW, and Mercedes. The key reason it was great was because I spent less than an hour with Tesla.

I bought my Toyota and Mercedes on the West Coast years ago (both vehicles since long gone). I bought my BMW here in Colorado a while back, but ultimately wasn't super satisfied with the cost of ownership so I chose to make the jump to Tesla. I picked my Model Y up in Aurora, Colorado.

Purchasing:
  • From VIN being assigned to the vehicle being available for delivery took about 10 days. It became available for pickup one day earlier than anticipated.
  • I made a custom order and then chose a similar vehicle from inventory. As the VIN hadn't been assigned at this point I could use the website chat feature to change to an in-inventory vehicle. Once the VIN has been assigned the Tesla support you get over SMS seems to be the only way to make changes, and it looks like you can only jump over to other in-inventory vehicles. They can be so slow in getting back to you though it's pretty much a crapshoot.
Financing
  • Though I was approved through Wells Fargo for financing, according to the paperwork it'll actually be financed through TD. I'm a little concerned as I have a plan to pay it off in under 6 months, and I wonder if the terms have changed with the lender. It looks like Tesla has a general ruleset for their lenders, but nowhere does it mention pre-computed interest (I definitely do not want that). (If you're wondering why I didn't just wait wait and put away cash for 6 months instead of financing, it's because my BMW had a serious service and tire change coming up - no thank you)
  • Financing was conditionally approved in a few hours and they just wanted proof of address. After I uploaded a utility bill, the approval was complete in about 12 hrs (still said Wells Fargo at this point)
Trade in value
  • I traded in a BMW which covered about half the cost of the Model Y. The trade in quote was around ~5% lower than Carvana's trade in value and about 3% lower than the sales value Caravan quoted. CarMax's offers were almost identical to Carvana's. For the sake of making things very easy I chose to just trade in with Tesla.

Pickup
  • 5min: Check in, hand over BMW keys. I had everything done in advance through the app, so they just wanted to grab the keys to take the plates off the vehicle and double check the condition & odometer
  • 15min: While they inspected my BMW, a Tesla rep walked me to my Tesla and let me inspect it. I spent about 15min inspecting it.
  • 15min: When I was satisfied I went back in and signed some paperwork (trade in overview, purchase overview, financing overview)
  • 5min: When paperwork was done, we walked outside and the rep handed me my keycards. They set my phone up as a key, connected bluetooth etc, and that was it. The car was mine.
State of the vehicle
  • I checked all lights, panels, mirrors, alignments and couldn't find anything that stood out to me. I can't see any meaningful panel misalignments. There weren't even any marks in the paint, not even any hairline scratches. Even the trunk seems to be very well aligned. I can't find anything out of place.
  • The car did look like it had been washed recently and had a very small amount of dirt under the charge port. Maybe it got a little dirty during transport?
  • Interior, I did a quick (light) pull and tug on the interior panels all around the cabin. Nothing loose. No visible misalignments.
  • The tires on the Uberturbines were Michelin All Seasons, but Tesla Support over text said they'd be Pirelli Summer tires

First drive
  • The hardware 4 cameras needed to calibrate which took ~20miles or so. After that, totally flawless
  • Setting up Apple Music, Home and Work address, and my profile with mirror position, seat position, etc was totally easy
  • 'Filling up' the Tesla at a Supercharger cost me $18. I can charge for free at my apartment and at work (they're both fairly slow which isn't a problem in those contexts). The 91 Octane in my BMW would cost between $60-$80 a week.

Range
  • My 2023 MYP seems to max out at about 300 (I have only changed to 90% which indicates a range of about 280mi). This is on par with the Tesla's claims, but I thought the swap to Inductions would increase the range. I did configure the car to use the Inductions, the system even reset - but 300mi seems to be the absolute peak range it'll calculate. Still, I have driven around 500 miles since I got it - no practical complaints about range or charging availability so far.
Overall, this is so much easier, faster, and less ambiguous than buying from Toyota, Mercedes, and BMW. Not having to deal with a whole cast of sales people and dedicate a whole afternoon to dealing with them is hard to put a price on.

Before delivery I set up a swap for the 21" Uberturbines for 20" Inductions based on what I read online.

I actually didn't notice a huge drive quality difference between the 20" inductions and 21" Uberturbines. The 21" Uberturbines are definitely more 'connected to the road' which means you feel the surface of the road through the steering wheel more than you do with the Inductions. I didn't get the impression I was bounced around more, or that the car was shaking more. If you've driven around Aurora, you'll have found there's ample opportunity to check this :)

If I had known I would get all seasons on the Uberturbines (instead of summer tires like Tesla Support said) I don't think I would have swapped them. I was bothered by the additional cost of swapping out the summer tires in a few months and wanted everything sorted out in advance.

Discount tire did the swap for free then I just dropped my Uberturbines off at FedEx in the boxes I received my Inductions in. FedEx ground from CO to CA cost about $200.

I don't regret the change to Inductions but it's not as critical as I thought it was.

View attachment 963247
"Tesla Model Y in San Ramon" by DestinationFearFan is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Thanks for sharing!!!

Purchasing:
Financing
Trade in value

Pickup
State of the vehicle

First drive

Range

View attachment 963247
Bought my Long Range Y in July from the Fremont, Ca factory. Tesla offered a trade in value for my Rav4 that was over 20% lower than Carmax (who, BTW, were very professional and easy to deal with). Tesla financing was easy and competitive so I went with that.

Thanks for sharing your experience!
This sounds very similar to my positive experience from January 29, 2023 when I took delivery of my White MYLR from Tesla Savannah, GA. I traded in an immaculate 2018 Kia Optima PHEV, and yes, Tesla did lowball me on the trade in a bit, but when I added the tax savings into the total, the value was almost identical to Car Max and Carvana offers. My loan was minimal as well and was also Wells Fargo via Tesla, and it stayed with Wells Fargo. I decided to stick with standard 19" standard wheels/tires on mine in hopes of a more favorable ride quality (ride is still a little harsh). Without any upsells, negotiations, hardline tactics, or add-ons, it was the most refreshing car buying experience I have ever had. I did not have any fit or finish issues, and I haven't required a single service visit (yet).

Just a couple of nit-picking items - while I do appreciate the no-cost addition of the cargo cover/shelf for all Model Ys in 2023, I find that the thick heavy cargo shelf/cover can be a bit of a hassle lifting and adjusting when you are trying to fit cargo all the way in against the back seats. It is much better than nothing, but a typical rollaway cargo cover would have certainly done the trick and been easier to adjust/move/remove when necessary. Also I was initially pretty disappointed in the lack of parking sensor around the car, the recent updates with the parking assist feature have been very helpful. I only wish it worked for rear cross-traffic alerts as well.

Finished 2x trade in Tesla purchases
Trade in with Tesla and one above and one below market, but sales tax savings helped close the gap
Financed both with others and not Tesla
Better rates or had a relationship already
We are very happy owners
Latest, subscribed to FSD on the MY
Fun

In= mats, window tint, ceramic treat seats, etc
Out= PPF, ceramic, mud flaps, rim protection, grill mesh, etc

My 27 year old tries going 100, he hates max 85
He’s never experienced the accel rocket as he’s only driven in chill
It’s would be like crack to a 20ish male
I was 27 when I got my first tesla, and I agree, it does feel like crack slamming down that acceleration in sport mode lol

Reactions: arky and kpanda17
Curious about the Michelin all seasons and if that's somehow an option? I will be looking at the M3P most likely in a year or so (or at least after Highland is released). I don't want summer tires and would prefer all-season tires. If it's not I'll just buy them and have them swapped out but would prefer not to go through the hassle.

Curious about the Michelin all seasons and if that's somehow an option? I will be looking at the M3P most likely in a year or so (or at least after Highland is released). I don't want summer tires and would prefer all-season tires. If it's not I'll just buy them and have them swapped out but would prefer not to go through the hassle.
If I understand correctly it’s basically a coin toss.

Reactions: Dan1978
I was 27 when I got my first tesla, and I agree, it does feel like crack slamming down that acceleration in sport mode lol
Having been a 20-something male, and knowing how I respond gleefully to sport mode as a 40-something male, nobody under 30 should own one of these.

Basically, it requires the same level of maturity, discipline , and self-control as a liter bike.

Purchasing:
Financing
Trade in value

Pickup
State of the vehicle

First drive

Range

View attachment 963247

Thanks for the write up. I'm scheduled to take delivery within the next week and some change.

Btw, for the Tesla fans who only own M3 and MY
Test drive a new MS
Feels great to see and experience high end Tesla
Like Tiffany’s vs our Macys
Ours is great, but high end Tesla is something to aspire to

Btw, for the Tesla fans who only own M3 and MY
Test drive a new MS
Feels great to see and experience high end Tesla
Like Tiffany’s vs our Macys
Ours is great, but high end Tesla is something to aspire to
It had better be, it's twice the price.

The MS is nice, and I would love to have one, but I can't justify it to myself because I don't think it's twice the car. For my sensibilities, it's way too big of a leap pricewise between the M3/Y and MS/X. A little larger, some nicer materials here and there, better suspension, and a bit faster...but man do you pay a lot for those (mostly incremental) improvements.

BMW, for example...you can get into a 3 series starting for around $46k and a 5 series (the next size/level up) for around $62k. It doesn't jump from ~$44k to ~$88k like Tesla 3->S does. It's not 2x the car. Granted, just within the last couple days Tesla introduced a $78k version of the MS, but still...that's a big price gap. Still roughly 2x the base M3.

My theory is that the MS and X were developed with far less efficient manufacturing methods and thus have much lower potential margins than the 3/Y...Tesla doesn't want to sell more of them. So they keep the price high.