Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S 75D 2018 battery heater and other components

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

recently I have noticed that my MS takes very long to charge when it is cold outside. I found out that the battery has a heater which gets it up to optimal temperature for charging and regen.
I went into the service menu and ran the "Thermal System Test", which came up with some errors.
The errors are:
BATTERY_HEATER: FAILURE
CHILLER: FAILURE
PRESSURE_SENSOR: FAILURE
TEMPERATURE_SENSOR: FAILURE

There is also an active alert THC_d0013_coolantHeater present but no other active alerts in regards to the above failures.
Also there are no alerts on the dashboard of the vehicle, only in service mode.

Will replacing the battery coolant heater fix all the above mentioned errors or do other components have to be replaced.

Thank you for all your comments.

Attachments

• viber_image_2024-01-22_11-48-28-707.jpg
    viber_image_2024-01-22_11-48-28-707.jpg
    323.9 KB · Views: 70
  • viber_image_2024-01-22_11-33-02-293.jpg
    viber_image_2024-01-22_11-33-02-293.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 38
  • viber_image_2024-01-22_11-33-02-105.jpg
    viber_image_2024-01-22_11-33-02-105.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 35
Heater is broken regardless so fix it so u can charge faster n pre condition battery
It's the only active error so it'll take care of that
Not sure why thermal test fails for others, if ur AC work fine then those components should be fine
U can always rerun test after heater replacement n see what happens

Reactions: ChiefRollo
Hello all,

recently I have noticed that my MS takes very long to charge when it is cold outside. I found out that the battery has a heater which gets it up to optimal temperature for charging and regen.
I went into the service menu and ran the "Thermal System Test", which came up with some errors.
The errors are:

There is also an active alert THC_d0013_coolantHeater present but no other active alerts in regards to the above failures.

Will replacing the battery coolant heater fix all the above mentioned errors or do other components have to be replaced.

Thank you for sharing. As I have also had similar experience, I will now go into service mode to see.

Hello all,

The errors are:

Just ran the same test on mine (same vehicle year and make BTW) and got similar error results. The only difference is mine doesn’t show the active alert.

Just ran the same test on mine (same vehicle year and make BTW) and got similar error results. The only difference is mine doesn’t show the active alert.
Interesting, what are the temperatures in your area?

Thank you all for your input. I'll schedule a service appointment.
I am also thinking of just buying the part from tesla and replacing it myself.

Does anyone know why these heaters fail? Should be a pretty simple part. Curious why if fails.

Interesting, what are the temperatures in your area?

Thank you all for your input. I'll schedule a service appointment.
I am also thinking of just buying the part from tesla and replacing it myself.

Does anyone know why these heaters fail? Should be a pretty simple part. Curious why if fails.
Just did the test again and only see two of the 4 components failed (chiller and temp. Sensor). It was around 32 degrees this morning and 40 degrees now.

Attachments

• IMG_0049.jpeg
    IMG_0049.jpeg
    574.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0047.jpeg
    IMG_0047.jpeg
    514.1 KB · Views: 46
What year? Does it have the PTC heater for the battery coolant loop? If so, it's an easy swap with a new one.

Is this a thing in some where the same PTC heater does cabin and coolant vs. a separate battery heater?

GEN3 PTC LEFT HAND DRIVE SERVICE, MS LEGACY
OK to replace 6007385-00-*.
1041265-00-F

I get a PTC error (on a 2015, d0015_cabinPTCHeater), but cabin heat works fine, though battery heating isn't working anymore. Wondering if it's a pump/valve or what.

Battery heater btw is:
THERMAL SYSTEM, ELECTRIC BATTERY HEATER
1038901-00-K
(but there are older part numbers such as 1009508-00-C)

Last edited:
The PTC heater for the battery is separate from the cabin PTC heater. PTC is just the type of heating element: Positive Temperature Coefficient (resistance increases with temperature so it's virtually impossible to overheat). The battery heater is under the frunk tub and the cabin heater is in the cabin.
Newer models have the heat pump and not a PTC style heater. The PTC style battery heater is a pretty easy DIY project if you have any mechanical knowledge. If the heat pump style isn't working that's a little more complicated.

Thanks yeah, and seems it should be a separate error for the battery heater, but I'm just getting that cabinPTCHeater error, with cabin heat working, but battery heating not working. Suppose I'll just wait until something really fails to throw the correct error. Or take the frunk apart and listen for what is happening when battery heating should be going...

I have a very limited understanding of the cabin PTC heater so take this with a grain of salt, but my understanding is that it is electrically split in 2 different halves. One half will provide heat for a set amount of time, then that half will switch off and the other half will provide heat. Perhaps half of the heater is bad? I don't believe the battery heater is split like that?

I have a very limited understanding of the cabin PTC heater so take this with a grain of salt, but my understanding is that it is electrically split in 2 different halves. One half will provide heat for a set amount of time, then that half will switch off and the other half will provide heat. Perhaps half of the heater is bad? I don't believe the battery heater is split like that?
Curious where u got this from?
i've heard that legacy PTC heaters are like 6kw n in Range mode its 3kw..
So perhaps this is where the 'half' feature came from?..

Newer models have the heat pump and not a PTC style heater. The PTC style battery heater is a pretty easy DIY project if you have any mechanical knowledge. If the heat pump style isn't working that's a little more complicated
So for the refresh model S, is it a dedicated heat pump for the battery or is it just looping in with the cabin heat pump? It is my understanding that model 3/Y does not have a dedicated battery heater and I am trying to ascertain how different the model S battery heating design is.

So for the refresh model S, is it a dedicated heat pump for the battery or is it just looping in with the cabin heat pump? It is my understanding that model 3/Y does not have a dedicated battery heater and I am trying to ascertain how different the model S battery heating design is.
if the car came with a heat pump then there's no battery heater.

Here is one discussion about it…