Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 RWD 2023 - Audio Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How easy would it be to simply change out the original speakers for better ones, without installing the Harness or subs? Would I notice a worthwhile improvement in sound?
That's what a lot of people do and how I started as well. Different speakers need different adapters. The Infinity speakers 4032 or even 3032 are better than stock, I've also used the scan speak 10F's which are significantly better, and I have a pair of Hertz ML700.3's that I'll try when I get a chance to put them in.

Reactions: SR-Plus
The Infinity speakers 4032 or even 3032 are better than stock, I've also used the scan speak 10F's which are significantly better, and I have a pair of Hertz ML700.3's that I'll try when I get a chance to put them in.
I tried Infinity 4032 in dash and I didn't like them - they provides more highs but they also introduce lots of distortion of highs and I didn't like it. Returned back to factory speakers in dash until I'm ready to try Alpines.

No, it’s a car. A big steel box is not a good place to get a decent sound. The stock sound system is adequate for listening to entertainment while I drive home so I can really listen to music on a sound system in a balanced room.
I would challenge you to listen to a professionally installed system done by EXPERIENCED installer. This means pulling the entire interior, adding sound dampening, installing massive power and most critically, A DSP. The sound in my 2016 MS75 is insanely good. Check this out for reference Simplicity In Sound

I tried Infinity 4032 in dash and I didn't like them - they provides more highs but they also introduce lots of distortion of highs and I didn't like it. Returned back to factory speakers in dash until I'm ready to try Alpines.
If you have a RWD it's okay to leave the tweeters connected on the 4032's assuming you aren't using a speaker activation harness to activate the door tweeters, if you have door tweeters (LR/P) or activation harness on a RWD I would highly recommend disconnecting the tweeter on the 4032.

I did this by cutting the lead to the capacitor and hot-gluing it out of the way, this modification can easily be reversed if necessary.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_0747.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0747.jpg
    663.9 KB · Views: 139
Different speakers need different adapters. The Infinity speakers 4032 or even 3032 are better than stock, I've also used the scan speak 10F's which are significantly better,

Do the Focal Tesla kits need adapters?

2023 RWD (RHD, I'm in the UK).

I'm leaning towards just upgrading the speakers. Haven't decided anything yet.

Been looking at Hansshow and the unused speakers in my car. After reading recent threads, I probalby won't do that. The car isn't expecting the extra speakers to be connected. Tesla isn't going to test an unsupported configuration. Things are bound to not work properly.

Modifying or even makeing new crossovers is easy for me. Making adapters is beyond me. Don't own a 3D printer.

Do the Focal Tesla kits need adapters?

2023 RWD (RHD, I'm in the UK).

I'm leaning towards just upgrading the speakers. Haven't decided anything yet.

Been looking at Hansshow and the unused speakers in my car. After reading recent threads, I probalby won't do that. The car isn't expecting the extra speakers to be connected. Tesla isn't going to test an unsupported configuration. Things are bound to not work properly.

Modifying or even makeing new crossovers is easy for me. Making adapters is beyond me. Don't own a 3D printer.
If you are talking about these:
They will bolt right in. Nice to see another company making Tesla bolt in speakers! I wonder how they sound?

Reactions: Sellout
I gotta find a price for that kit

UK prices include 20% VAT (sales tax).

IC T3Y 100. 2-Way Coaxial. Rear Doors. Parcel Shelf (if supported). £309 - £349 for kit of 2 speakers and 6 screws
ICC T3Y 100 2-way seperate for center Dash £179.99. Kit of 1 midrange, 1 tweeter and mounting hardware
IS T3Y 100 2-Way seperates. mid for dash, tweeter for dash. £349 Kit of 4 speakers, 2 crossovers, connecting wires and mounting hardware
IW T3Y 200 200mm (8-inch) Woofer for front door. £419.99 for 2 woofers.

I don't think my car (2023 RWD, Shanghi) has cutouts for rear speakers. Not sure about center dash. I'll have to do more research.

One source says 2 dash mids and 1(?) tweeter. Ic

Reactions: Sellout
I don't think my car (2023 RWD, Shanghi) has cutouts for rear speakers. Not sure about center dash. I'll have to do more research.

One source says 2 dash mids and 1(?) tweetetweeter.
2022 RWD, Shanghai have no cutouts for rear speakers and have 3 mids and no tweeter on the dash.

I changed my stock speakers a month ago for 5x Faital Pro 4FE32 4 ohm(3 on the dash and 2 for rear doors) and set of Focal ISU200

Reactions: Andrew*Debbie
Does anyone have a wiring diagram for AMD Ryzen 2022+ for premium audio? I’m trying to figure out if premium system uses separate MCU outputs for door twitters and A-pillar speakers. The harnesses connect the speakers in parallel with left/right dash speakers that doesn’t seem ideal due to higher load on built in MCU amplifier.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for AMD Ryzen 2022+ for premium audio? I’m trying to figure out if premium system uses separate MCU outputs for door twitters and A-pillar speakers. The harnesses connect the speakers in parallel with left/right dash speakers that doesn’t seem ideal due to higher load on built in MCU amplifier.

I thought we all had free access to the diagrams. Maybe it is only owners in the EU/UK where there is a right to repair law?

To answer your question, PAUDIO, the optional sound system has a seperate amplifier.

The seperate amp drives the front door woofers, the rear door speakers, the parcel shelf speakers and the sub woofer.

With PAUDIO, the MCU drives the door tweeters. This same MCU output is used to drive the front door speakers in RWD cars.

In a similar fashion, the MCU output that drives the Headliner (A-Pillar) speakers in PAUDIO cars, drives the rear doors in the base sound system.

The MCU must have software selectable crossovers and EQ.

Too bad Tesla do not offer a retrofit kit. That would be my choice, as long as the price was not insane.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrT3
I thought we all had free access to the diagrams. Maybe it is only owners in the EU/UK where there is a right to repair law?
Yes Tesla do provide these for free.

There is no law in the UK or Europe that makes them do this though, the Block Exemption and emission regulations means repair manuals must be made available to third parties but they can charge for that access.

To answer your question, PAUDIO, the optional sound system has a seperate amplifier.

The seperate amp drives the front door woofers, the rear door speakers, the parcel shelf speakers and the sub woofer.

With PAUDIO, the MCU drives the door tweeters. This same MCU output is used to drive the front door speakers in RWD cars.

In a similar fashion, the MCU output that drives the Headliner (A-Pillar) speakers in PAUDIO cars, drives the rear doors in the base sound system.

The MCU must have software selectable crossovers and EQ.

Too bad Tesla do not offer a retrofit kit. That would be my choice, as long as the price was not insane.

You're right! I didn't realize that all circuit diagrams are free, I just had to login using my Tesla account at Tesla Service

As for the retrofit - it's possible to buy Subwoofer/second amp combo on eBay or order them as Tesla parts, then it's a matter of some re-wiring that can be done with a modified Hansshow or EVOffer harness to avoid messing with the car harnesses.

As I understood from the diagrams the second Amp is using digital multi-channel input A2B via just 2 wires from the headliner connector X299. As I was looking for M3 wire harnesses for the right side in Tesla catalog I could only find harnesses tagged PREM. Is it possible that the harness with connectors for the second Amp is present in 2023 M3 RWD? I haven't looked into my trunk but will try to find time to check it. If someone already checked - let me know, I'd appreciate that. My hope that Tesla is keeping everything standard to cut costs and avoid variations of harnesses. Another hope is that software recognizes the second Amp and change full-range signal for door speakers into high-pass signal for twitters.

I'm not going to bother to activate additional speakers in RWD - quick measurements using REW (room eq wizard opensource software) and UMM-6 calibrated mic showed big difference in distortion - see the attached screenshots.

Attachments

• 2021.4_Model3-SOP7.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 56
  • rew-evoffer-harness-m3-rwd-audio.PNG
    rew-evoffer-harness-m3-rwd-audio.PNG
    627.4 KB · Views: 68
  • rew-original-m3-rwd-audio.PNG
    rew-original-m3-rwd-audio.PNG
    629.3 KB · Views: 74